Synth -Sinmad 0.9.9- featured this month (april) in One Synth Challenge, reports thread:

Official support for: nusofting.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Richard, which CPU do you have?
RichardSemper wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:11 am My second issue relates to a processor overload relating to the effects section:

A patch with echobis unit on, saturation on, and reverb 1 on (half button): play one note, when the sound has faded away the processor suddenly goes into overdrive with no sound playing. Play another note (glitches from sound processor) and the processor usage drops away to normal until the release is complete, then goes overdrive again.

The processor usage drops back when saturation boost gain is fully left, or if reverb or echobis are switched off, or if reverb is set to full button.

Windows 10, tried in Mulab, Cubase 7.5 and Reaper - all exhibit this issue in varying degrees of processor usage. Bitwig and Tracktion Waveform both handle it better but still show a higher sustained processor usage.

I have Intel i9 with 14 cores (28 processor threads)

liqih wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:14 am
Yes, that's because the modifications are stores in the plugin state of the session, this way you don't loose your modifications even if you change preset. But it could be that is not the desired behavior, right?
That's right - not because it's not good to keep the modifications, but because if I want to return to the preset I started with, I can't, because the modifications have overwritten the preset for that session.

Double Tap wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:40 pm
Yes, that's because the modifications are stores in the plugin state of the session, this way you don't loose your modifications even if you change preset. But it could be that is not the desired behavior, right?
That's right - not because it's not good to keep the modifications, but because if I want to return to the preset I started with, I can't, because the modifications have overwritten the preset for that session.
But if you reload the preset you saved it's not lost. I think it's good practice to save the presets you made and like, or?

RichardSemper wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:23 am I have Intel i9 with 14 cores (28 processor threads)
I send you a DLL update via PM, anyway the first reverb (half button) if very CPU heavy if the time slider is more that bit right. So it's better to use the other reverb when using also the echo.

RichardSemper wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:07 am Been testing, and found a couple of issues to report:
The first relates to oscillator 'duo' setting not recalling properly when set to off. This affects the 'a clean start' preset and many others.
- if I load a preset where the duo setting is other than 'off' e.g. set to fifths, then load a preset where it was set to off when saved it will stay on fifths.
- I did manage to create a preset where it will recall the 'off' setting and another where it does not.
- attached zip with three presets to demonstrate: - INIT which works properly, INIT 2 which does not, and a randomised preset where the setting is +130.
The difference was for INIT I pulled down the value until it only just went to 'off' and INIT 2 where I pulled down all the way.
I hope this makes sense, took a while to crack it :)
Thanks a lot, I'll look into this soon.

liqih wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 pm
But if you reload the preset you saved it's not lost. I think it's good practice to save the presets you made and like, or?
I suppose the problem for me is that I can't reload the preset without deleting the instance and starting again, which would cause problems if there's automation. The parameters that the synth has saved for the session over the preset are parameters I don't want.

Actually, I suppose you can quit the whole project and reload it, which would be annoying for people with slow computers but not as bad as redoing automation.

Latest Windows Build please? Should I PM Richard again?

Double Tap wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:09 pm
liqih wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 pm
I suppose the problem for me is that I can't reload the preset without deleting the instance and starting again, which would cause problems if there's automation. The parameters that the synth has saved for the session over the preset are parameters I don't want.

Actually, I suppose you can quit the whole project and reload it, which would be annoying for people with slow computers but not as bad as redoing automation.
Yeah, I see that's really bad, I thought it would have been enough to reload the preset file from the GUI menu.

exponent1 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:46 pm Latest Windows Build please? Should I PM Richard again?
I sent you the link by PM, but I will have a new one tomorrow.

Thanks everybody for the remarkable betatesting.

Sinmad beta update
0.9.7 Mac with installer, 0.9.7b Windows no installer.

The bugs fixed:

- Sound could mutes (crash) when using Wave 1 FM.
- Overload of CPU after release, in some PCs.
- Display of parameter "duo" not recalled correctly.
- Possible wrong value of the two stages switch on GUI.
- Crash on render in latest Reaper DAW.

Notes:
- Many included presets are still too loud and may not load correctly.
- Windows 7 still needs the microsoft redistributable update.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30679

Sinmad beta download link is the same you used last or please ask
Richard at OSC.

I have found an issue with the sub oscillator. Occasionally the sub get stuck what sounds like two octaves lower than it should be. The easiest way to reproduce it is to first enable AA, then rotate through the waves. As soon as you get to the FM wave, the sub drops two octaves, and remains there even if you continue to cycle through the waves. Toggling AA off and on fixes it.

teilo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 pm I have found an issue with the sub oscillator. Occasionally the sub get stuck what sounds like two octaves lower than it should be. The easiest way to reproduce it is to first enable AA, then rotate through the waves. As soon as you get to the FM wave, the sub drops two octaves, and remains there even if you continue to cycle through the waves. Toggling AA off and on fixes it.
Yes, thanks, I reproduced it, my mistake to include the sub frequency in the AA of wave 1. I will fix this soon. As you say "Toggling AA off and on fixes it." For now.

I have a suggestion for the MW mod. The way it presently works is problematic. Presently, the MW modulates a control across its entire range, regardless of the setting of the control. For example, when modulating filter cutoff, changing the MW to 0 sets the filter to 0 regardless of the cutoff control's position. This has undesirable consequences. When starting from a preset, and then moving the MW, the modulated control jumps downward. This makes the MW almost unusable unless you pre-stage its position before recording or performing.

Instead, it should modulate from the set value of the control, upwards. Ideally, the MW and AT modulators should have their own depth control to set the range of modulation.

Also, is there a way to revert a preset to its saved version short of restarting the plugin?

Return to “NUSofting”