Bitwig 4 - what's gonna be in it?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:20 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:32 pm
No doubt the M1 is a nice computer, but I wouldn't expect fully native DAWS other than logic anytime soon.
Reaper is running native already too...
Good to know- so with Reaper and the VST's that run natively is there a big difference? The M1 MacBook's seem quote competitively priced for the power against say DELL XPS etc.

I am sure most VST manufactures will get there in the end, but probably not all...and I still think it will take a few years. I seem to remember it took Live forever to go 64 bit (and you have to get MAX along for the ride as well) sop I would put money on Bitwig getting there first!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

antic604 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:22 pm
carlca wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 pmIt would be a tricky balancing act to pull off. I think that they would have to have another Bitwig only feature, otherwise, sales from the VST could cannibalise sales from the DAW.
Native, universal modulation & routing?
Hybrid tracks & bounce-in-place?
Plugin sandboxing and bridging?
Side-by-side clip launcher?
On-line collaboration? ;)
I agree with you. I think it would be a cool stepping stone. And many people who weren't willing to switch DAWs because they are heavily invested in their knowledge of the big ones like Cubase and logic might appreciate the modular environment of the grid in a plugin with it's touch friendly interface and mpe functionality and ease of drag and drop etc. I don't think it would cannibalize Bitwig. But who knows what kind of effort it would be to make a VST of it. Maybe more than they could justify from projected sales.

SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:32 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:20 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:32 pm
No doubt the M1 is a nice computer, but I wouldn't expect fully native DAWS other than logic anytime soon.
Reaper is running native already too...
Good to know- so with Reaper and the VST's that run natively is there a big difference? The M1 MacBook's seem quote competitively priced for the power against say DELL XPS etc.

I am sure most VST manufactures will get there in the end, but probably not all...and I still think it will take a few years. I seem to remember it took Live forever to go 64 bit (and you have to get MAX along for the ride as well) sop I would put money on Bitwig getting there first!
VST developers are steadily getting there. Every week there is another announcement about native support from someone.

And yeah... I would also bet on Bitwig going native before Live, but we don't know for sure. The AAS plugins are already M1 native.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 pm
carlca wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 pmIt would be a tricky balancing act to pull off. I think that they would have to have another Bitwig only feature, otherwise, sales from the VST could cannibalise sales from the DAW.
I agree with you. I think it would be a cool stepping stone. And many people who weren't willing to switch DAWs because they are heavily invested in their knowledge of the big ones like Cubase and logic might appreciate the modular environment of the grid in a plugin with it's touch friendly interface and mpe functionality and ease of drag and drop etc. I don't think it would cannibalize Bitwig. But who knows what kind of effort it would be to make a VST of it. Maybe more than they could justify from projected sales.
Well, the Grid is a core part of Bitwig... it wouldn't necessarily have touch capability, drag-n-drop, MPE or voice stacking if it were made into a vst... All that stuff may not be in the Grid in the way it would be in a plugin. It might have no independent functionality in that way. I'm just speculating of course, and have no knowledge about it, but it would not surprise me if it were easier to make all of Bitwig a plugin than a part of it.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:50 pm
Well, the Grid is a core part of Bitwig... it wouldn't necessarily have touch capability, drag-n-drop, MPE or voice stacking if it were made into a vst... All that stuff may not be in the Grid in the way it would be in a plugin. It might have no independent functionality in that way. I'm just speculating of course, and have no knowledge about it, but it would not surprise me if it were easier to make all of Bitwig a plugin than a part of it.
Yes, that was exactly my point - because of how well Grid is integrated with Bitwig, separate Grid Plugin would only be a glorified taster or demo of "the full thing" and if priced right and/or with a cross-grade option, it could be a great incentive to buy full Bitwig.

Add to that a Bitwig shop with user-made Grid patches than could be "locked", would have a custom GUI and be sold a piece with Bitwig taking a cut or in some kind of subscription scheme... :hihi:

...ok, we really need a new announcement :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:41 pm
don_looney wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:00 pm Soooooo...who thinks we will get an update before the Harrison deal runs out?
I hope so :)
You know you can buy the upgrade but not activate until you want to right? So you can always take advantage of a deal but not go into your year of updates yet. Unless something is different about the current deal.
Yeah I know. I always buy the upgrade plan in the winter with extra discount and then wait until a new version comes out to activate it. I have a lot of plugins and I don't need the extra plugins right now. But thanks for the tip.
RME Babyface Pro / Bitwig / Adam A7X / Elektron AR MKII / Novation Peak / Akai Force / Eurorack

a centralized mixer-remote would be nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLRDh-fZKg
a which would able to reach/adjust all the Tool Devices from one place, (and would able to suspend my izotope subscription :D )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:15 pm a centralized mixer-remote would be nice
That would be cool in Bitwig... especially if one could connect modulation to the position or some such...

btw. izotope, optionally auto gaining(loudness matching) for all the plugins

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:50 pm
Sure it would have that stuff. Why not? rag and drop is an interface design. Why would they change that? Voice handling is dealt with by the plugin. There's no reason they would remove that and MPE etc. I mean maybe they would, but you might as well say there's no guarantee they would include the wavetable oscillator or the sampler module, or the multiplier module or anything else. I mean sure anything could be left out, but like you say it would all be speculation.

xbitz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:15 pm a centralized mixer-remote would be nice
a which would able to reach/adjust all the Tool Devices from one place, (and would able to suspend my izotope subscription :D )
I'm using your global modulator trick for that? :-)

^^^ rent-to-own was too tempting https://splice.com/plugins/manufacturers/7 :D Bitwig is perfect for sound-shaping Izotope can do the rest, FabPro-Q has better UI but the dynamic eq implementation is more usable IMO in Neutron 3 and it has other modules too (and I don't know about Rent to own constructions from FabFilter)

xbitz wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:13 am ^^^ rent-to-own was too tempting https://splice.com/plugins/manufacturers/7 :D Bitwig is perfect for sound-shaping Izotope can do the rest, FabPro-Q has better UI but the dynamic eq implementation is more usable IMO in Neutron 3 and it has other modules too (and I don't know about Rent to own constructions from FabFilter)
Neutron does look good. If starting from scratch I think it could be a great investment.

I've not been able to use my UAD on a current collab/band project. Picked up the Waves Schepps Omni channel for like £30 as a tool we could both use - and I have to say I think it is excellent. Less graphicy than Neutron, but has a very decent saturation, several EQ flavours (can choose by band) and several compressor flavours, then gate/deesser, mid side, some side chaining. It's a very good mixing tool, and really insanely cheap for what it is.

^^^ dynaEQ has a very good implementation in it
https://youtu.be/qPHRuNtq2BY?t=501
from 8:20 this is why I like, the different instances can see each other so freq. masking and other issues can be handled with nicely, works well with the balance control too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPYDOIRVM4
at 1:20

but this is a Bitwig forum :D so it's a nice complementary to Bitwig

needs :

+skins (grey-grey-orange UI is tiring for eyes : need colors, or an editor...)
+drum kits with real names not fantasy,
+long tracks (juno, beatport, random etc..) beatmatching (not only after "sample_name_120",.. )
+ no subscriptions / pay model changement with upgrades (cubase from 7 upgrade is even cheap...)
+ less expensive.

- i dont need grid,
- subscriptions blow my life...
- 150$/year is too expensive for these updates.

PS: i know it's complicate with covid crysis, for both companies and people... i hope we out soon. 🙏
Last edited by 1378919320102020 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Bitwig”