Presswerk and make up level ceiling

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

May be I'm missing but is there way to limit makeup gain?
E.g. I'm using presswerk on a bus it has auto makeup and it's average around +3db, then key element is removed, makeup jumps to +8db which gives unwanted volume spike, but I want it to go up no higher than +5db. Is ceiling possible to do on presswerk?
Murderous duck!

Someone can probably answer this better than me, but I have a suggestion. How about having another session of Presswerk that is a limiter? Lately I sometimes have Presswerk (compressor) for the entire mix, and have a Presswerk limiter beyond that. It depends on the song how well that works.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Makeup gain uses a sort of "educated guess" ratio by which it boosts the signal. There are cases (like yours) where turning it off is the better choice. Might be best to use the output volume knob for your purposes here.

Viktor

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:59 pm Makeup gain uses a sort of "educated guess" ratio by which it boosts the signal. There are cases (like yours) where turning it off is the better choice. Might be best to use the output volume knob for your purposes here.
Sure but I often like that educated guess and on say drum bus it's nice when kick is out and remaining elements are sounding a bit louder, but only a bit.

You mean volume knob before plugin? Well I have Ableton Utility in front of Presswerk and automating volume drops but I was looking for more automated (lazier) solution.
Murderous duck!

I mean the "Output" knob in the middle above the VU meter, that's what you'd use to substitute for makeup gain.
Makeup gain isn't dynamic either, it doesn't add anything sonically except a fixed volume gain, so you can always replace it by using the output parameter.

Probaby this was already sorted, but just in case there was still any confusion: The fact that drums sound a bit louder through a compressor when the kick stops playing has nothing to do with makeup gain. That's just basic compression, and how it's supposed to react to level changes in the input signal. Makeup gain is a fixed amount of output gain which is calculated (=the educated guess) based on the threshold knob, maybe some other parameters as well. The idea is to compensate for the gain loss caused by compression (which by itself lowers the overall output level). But the amount of makeup gain is based on the GUI parameters only, it doesn't care about the actual audio signal. You can do the exact same thing by turning up the level knob, or adding a gain plugin after the compressor, or just raising the channel fader.

Return to “u-he”