ARM updates galore beta round 01 revision 11152

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACE (Any Cable Everywhere) Bazille Colour Copy Diva Presswerk Repro Satin

Lotsa PT die-hards switched to Reaper, just sayin'. :P

ghettosynth wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:44 pm So an M1X machine will perform better yet. I'm super judgy of embedded GPUs. The M1 is decent, but I want more before I fork over cash on a machine that you need to dongle the hell out of to expand the thing. No, I don't want yet another box sitting next to the mac with a GPU connected over thunderbolt. I'll buy an AMD mini-itx machine first.

Not buying an M1 mac, I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs. By the time I'm ready to buy Urs' updates will have been out long enough to have had a good shakedown!
The M1 MBP has been excellent for me so far, but I consider it an adjunct to my 2019 i9 8c/16t iMac, not a replacement. If I was looking to upgrade my primary system I’d hold off until later as well. Not only will they perform better, but they’ll have more RAM configurations, expanded ports and more mature native software support by then.

nevernamed wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:12 pm
Ahm no it really doesn't. It has the marquee tool or whatever they call it but it's clunky as hell. Pro Tools is far more elegant in this area. Nothing that Apple couldn't sort out if they wanted to but as it is implemented now I'll say no thanks. And not disparaging it. I'd love it if they could fix the implementation. It's a great daw with lots of value to it. Also, Logic is rather ungraceful in its handling of audio when you start cutting things up. Lots of pops/clicks etc. This usually means more fades and cross fades etc. A lot more. And batch fades are not the solution for me. Again, no thanks. This has to be as smooth as it is in Pro Tools for me to even consider jumping ship. Then there is the zooming in/out; coordinated hand movements etc. No thanks. And I'm a customer who wants to switch. Look I played around with other options. It is pretty far from straight forward like you imply. If it were that easy I would have left Avid a long time ago. And there are a lot of us that feel this way.
i used both protools and logic. What are you talking about? I'm not talking about marquee tool.
i'm talking about zones that make pointer a 4-tool smart tool (in addition two right-click tool and cmd+click tool)...
Smart Tool options:
SELECTION TOOL
Pro Tools: move to top of the region to enable "selection"
Logic: move to the bottom of the region to enable "selection" (marquee)

GRABBER TOOL:
Pro Tools: move to the bottom of the region
Logic: move to the top of the region

TRIM TOOL:
Pro Tools: move to the ends of an audio clip
Logic: move to the ends of an audio clip

"FADE":
Pro Tools: move to the TOP ends of an audio clip
Logic: move to the TOP ends of an audio clip
(also crossfade, for both)

There's absolutely nothing about smart tool that works differently.
if you enable "snap to zero crossing" when cutting, there's no pops and clicks.

Routing is very similar to pro tools.

zooming out is alt + 2D scroll for me, and in protools is just a pain in the ass the response is atrocious.

If you had it set-up poorly it's not the tools you use fault, it's yours.
You basically held a screwdriver backwards and then said you can't hammer with it.

Nobody said it's easy, but i used Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic professionally -for money- so i know them all pretty good, but Logic is my home.
There's nothing i'd use Pro Tools for anymore, except audio post production.

i'll just throw a benchmark from logic forums in here someone made on windows in protools:
Logic Pro on M1 with FF and Valhalla plugins, 35 tracks.
5GHz i9 9900KS running Pro Tools, 34 tracks.

Can we move the Pro Tools vs. Logic tool discussions to a thread that isn't in the U-he subforum, and specific to the new betas? That conversation has nothing to do with either U-he or the new betas. Meanwhile, we've got a perfectly good Hosts forum where that kind of stuff is totally on topic.

+1

sorry

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 am
bmanic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:56 am I did however manage to create a pad sound that apparently "only" does about 8 voices of polyphony on Divine quality (no stacks used, just single voices).
Please send over to us if possible, we need those things to figure out any bottlenecks :)
Sorry! I didn't save the preset. However I found a factory preset that only plays 3 voices on my Mac M1 Mini without glitching and it is set to "fast" accuracy. It's 8 voice poly with 2 stacks though.

The preset is 'HS Giant Sloth' found in the 'Dream Synth' bank.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 amI found a factory preset that only plays 3 voices on my Mac M1 Mini without glitching and it is set to "fast" accuracy. It's 8 voice poly with 2 stacks though. The preset is 'HS Giant Sloth' found in the 'Dream Synth' bank.
Workaround for that DIVA preset: You can get more voices by switching the HPF | BITE to e.g. Feedback.
(BTW: On my 2020 Intel MBP with HPF | BITE still in there, Accuracy = 'great' and Multicore switched on, I can set 16 voices and play 8 notes at the same time without overloading the CPU.)

bmanic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 am However I found a factory preset that only plays 3 voices on my Mac M1 Mini without glitching and it is set to "fast" accuracy. It's 8 voice poly with 2 stacks though.

The preset is 'HS Giant Sloth' found in the 'Dream Synth' bank.
When the preset's stack is set to two, you are actually playing six voices if you hold a three note chord.
But those numbers seem a bit low.
I did a quick test with Reaper 6.25 (the native ARM beta) on the M1 MacBook Pro.

With 48kHz sample rate and buffer size 32 samples, I can play 24 voices (12 notes played with voice stack set to two) of HS Giant Sloth, spread across two Diva instances without getting any crackles.
Diva's accuracy is set to "great", voices set to 16.

If I set the buffer size to a more reasonable value of 256 samples, the M1 can even handle 64 voices of HS Giant Sloth before I am getting the first occassional audio crackles.

What's your sample rate and buffer size?
And which host are you using, is the host running natively, or under Rosetta2?
And is the plugin maybe still running under Rosetta, instead of native?
This could be the case if it's not the latest beta version (rev. 11152), or if your host isn't running natively.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

I'm using Reaper native ARM version. Mac Mini M1 (the cheapest 8 gigs of RAM version), buffer was set to 128 samples and 48kHz sample rate.

I did however also have a web browser running with a movie on Netflix which could have affected the performance. I'll do more thorough tests with a reboot and nothing else running.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I'm getting some crackles/pops and general meltdowns with a dozen or so Diva patches - they are from the luftrum/unfinishesd synth wave 2 pack. Currently have ableton 11 set to 44.1 and buffer of 128 samples. Going to 256 and 512 samples does the same thing. Do they need to be investigated?

XpanderDude wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:29 pm I'm getting some crackles/pops and general meltdowns with a dozen or so Diva patches - they are from the luftrum/unfinishesd synth wave 2 pack. Currently have ableton 11 set to 44.1 and buffer of 128 samples. Going to 256 and 512 samples does the same thing. Do they need to be investigated?
Would that not be something the author of the patches should be doing?

We noticed that Ableton Live 11 generally has a higher CPU load than Live 10.
Have also seen a few reddit threads where people are complaining about Live 11's performance.

The 1.4.4 Diva beta does not appear to respond to real time scale changes in the OddSound MTS Master plugin (like the Morph Slider and Random Macro). Some other synths do, like Serum, so it does appear to be a feature that should work hopefully. I have yet to try it with your other synths in beta.

Thanks for supporting this BTW!

EDIT: I just tried the Ace beta as well and it does not respond to real time updates either. I tried both VST2 and VST3's for both by the way.

Real time scale changes are not implemented yet, it's something we are looking into, but it takes some time to make it work with the different voice circuit architectures of our plugins.

Return to “u-he”