Native Instruments - Native Access not working (fresh install)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Amend that... I will install oracle virtual box and spin up a virtual machine of win10 and do it there. Saves possibly screwing up things even worse on my machine.
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

Metalink file is the same regardless of product - everything is a mountable ISO with InstallShield installers.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:00 pm Metalink file is the same regardless of product - everything is a mountable ISO with InstallShield installers.
Had a bit of insomnia last night, wrote the program to watch that hidden folder and collect the links, backed up my registry, uninstalled everything via the ni uninstall tool, moved all folders, ran my program, ran native access, pressed download all and disabled them all 1 by 1 till my program had recorded a new entry. And presto a complete list of downloads. Nice 1.

And it's going to take 1/2 the time than native access would have taken...

The odd thing about doing all this is that after I restored my registry and files to their previous locations, native access now has the "repair" option on some of them, which was expected, but it's also showing all the damaged/corrupted installations with a repair link also! In total 38 repair links, but stuff like massive doesn't count as they have installers.

i also had some problems to update absynth to 5.34
When i pressed update, it downloaded completly but then nothing happend. So i started to update my other stuff first and it also took very very long time to install. During the time of one installation it downloaded all other 15 updates.
SO the installation is very slowly and frustrating.
Every time i wanted to install the absynth update nothing happened, so i tried to install absynth manualy and there it stopped after selection of vst / aax, so the installer didn't start installation. I deinstalled absynth and done a fresh new installation and it worked.
I have no problems with izotope, UVI, Softube, Plugin Aliance, Arturia, refx and kiloheatrs installer - but the Native Access is a totaly mess. When i googled the problems i found them years ago as same problems, so they have nothing fixed in these 4 years. It's a total mess and a lot of customers are totaly f**ked up with this bullshit. Also i had on my other computer the error that Native access wasn't visible, so i had to maximize the screen. This error was also a long time known in their forums, but nothing happened :clap:

sacer wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:38 am Native Access is a totaly mess. When i googeld the problems i founf them years ago as same problems, so they have nothing fixed in these 4 years. It's a total mess and a lot of customers are totaly f**ked up with this bullshit.
Same, I've had no problems with fxpansion, Harvest, SonicAcademy, Synthmaster, u-he, VPS Avenger, XFER and even a collection of free VSTs which I've gathered some older than 10 years, all work perfect, zero install issues. Native Access :x :x :x :x :x :x :x And yes, problems older than 4 years are still an issue and I don't think they have any intentions of fixing them... Support told me to update my graphics drivers to fix native access... Like come on wtf...

It's taken me around 5.5 days to download using native access, 15+ had corrupt and damaged files but still the install succeeded, which it shouldn't have and left me not knowing what was and wasn't fully installed and working correctly.

I had a problem with the Absynth update also, I had to use the ni uninstaller tool and re-install.

Now that I have the download links and using a download manager which supports resume and multiple connections it's going to take 2.5 days (is the estimate). My connection maxes out at 2.9mb/s, I'm still not getting full speed from them but it's close, 2 to 2.2mb/s.

I will post the program I wrote to collect the links on a public github repo once all this is done and I've cleaned up the code :wink:
Last edited by MegaPixel on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TBH, I think you're making a way bigger issue out of this than it really is. I've been re-installing any of my computers several times, and it never took me as long as it already did for you to solve your installation issues with a single manufacturer.

You know, sometimes, you have issues. And sometimes, you're creating issues.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember I tried to reuse these kind of links after a while (hours? Days? Cannot tell for sure now) and they were no longer working. I'm afraid they imply some sort of tokens with expiration...
- Mario

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 am TBH, I think you're making a way bigger issue out of this than it really is. I've been re-installing any of my computers several times, and it never took me as long as it already did for you to solve your installation issues with a single manufacturer.

Really?

I don't think it's too much to ask for something you paid over £1,000 for to install correctly.

and a lot more...

If a download is corrupt and damaged and only certain gzip packages inside that downloaded installer are installed but yet native access says all is fine... You think that's fine?

22GB download corrupt & damanged, installed correctly, no downloads for any corrupt or damaged files but all is fine... Ye right...

mabian wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:02 pm I could be wrong but I seem to remember I tried to reuse these kind of links after a while (hours? Days? Cannot tell for sure now) and they were no longer working. I'm afraid they imply some sort of tokens with expiration...
- Mario
Yes there is a token at the end of each of the paths, hopefully my download will complete before they expire.

MegaPixel wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:08 pm I don't think it's too much to ask for something you paid over £1,000 for to install correctly.
+1. Just because one person isn't having issues doesn't mean there aren't issues. That's a classic fallacy on chk's behalf.

In my case, I gave up on NA. It has never worked as intended, only junked my existing installations and necessitating long and futile attempts at reinstalling (not fun, given how each time the install fails, it decides to re-download yadda yadda). After multiple attempts to install Komplete Ultimate using it, I finally just gave up.

I never had any issues with Service Center, which is what I finally used to install my software, after removing all traces of NA from my machine. Unfortunately, that's no longer an option with SC being discontinued. So I will not be touching my system going forwards. If NA fails (again), I will have no way of going back and using the software at all.

This of course means that I don't have the most recent versions of some of the things I own, and have been unable to install any of the NA-only software I own. Thankfully, I own KU9, so it's not a huge deal.

NA is a complete mess, has always been. You can see it in the design choices (e.g. removing the downloaded files even when the install fails, an inability to migrate existing SC installs, an inability to install the required dependencies, an inability to clean up the registry yadda yadda). The focus most definitely wasn't on making a seamless experience; and when things go wrong, they go horribly wrong.

So I sympathise with you MegaPixel; I've been through a similar situation to what you describe multiple times. If you ever do figure out a way to bypass NA and get the software authorised, do let us know. I might try it out on a virtual machine and see if I can get it to work. But for now, NA is not coming anywhere near this machine, and NI will definitely not be getting any upgrade money.

There have been flames on the NI forum about the ability to provide offline installers, but they don't seem at all inclined to revert their decision.
I also am strongly against this approach, maybe they think it could help taking piracy or other stuff under better control.
I'm skeptical... and... they're penalizing regular customers that don't want to have their systems connected or simply like to be able to install anytime locally in case of system rebuild etc.

- Mario

sjm wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:23 pm
MegaPixel wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:08 pm I don't think it's too much to ask for something you paid over £1,000 for to install correctly.
+1. Just because one person isn't having issues doesn't mean there aren't issues. That's a classic fallacy on chk's behalf.
Thanks sjm :tu:

Well my download link gatherer program works.. Which I will put on github for the world to use (free).

So in theory :ud: ...
Once I get all the items listed in native access downloaded and when I build a new machine which is about ever 4 to 5 years, and the various life spans on my drives (anything 5 years old is replaced (out of guarantee and work data can't be lost, I like to schedule when my down time is)).
In theory... I should be able to install native access, then go through all the installers 1 by 1 (155) and then when I run Native Access, it should (SHOULD) detect them... But yet to find out...

But yes, if I could find a replacement for Komplete 12 Ultimate I would seriously consider it.

mabian wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:34 pm There have been flames on the NI forum about the ability to provide offline installers, but they don't seem at all inclined to revert their decision.
I also am strongly against this approach, maybe they think it could help taking piracy or other stuff under better control.
I'm skeptical... and... they're penalizing regular customers that don't want to have their systems connected or simply like to be able to install anytime locally in case of system rebuild etc.

- Mario
Ironically I have asked support for the download links, no reply...

Having a fixed set of download links would allow for more piracy, but there's no stopping it really.

FLStudio - uses either online login or registry file
BitWig - online login (I think you can use a registry file also)
Cubase - Dongle and Licence management software
VPS Avenger - CM Container licence manager, online login, serial and website licence management (they are way over protective lol)
u-he (hive 2, zebra) - online validation of username & serial (most common)

So I agree with you, we should have a full set of download links supplied to us on purchase, these links can be short lived links (2 weeks) and can be renewed on request, this would be perfect.

MegaPixel wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:08 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:59 am TBH, I think you're making a way bigger issue out of this than it really is. I've been re-installing any of my computers several times, and it never took me as long as it already did for you to solve your installation issues with a single manufacturer.

Really?

I don't think it's too much to ask for something you paid over £1,000 for to install correctly.

and a lot more...
Frankly, the way you described things going on on your computer, I would say you have a lot of issues with it. Apart from the NI installers.

Unless you can point me to the thousands of other threads where people report the same issues. Or, unless I could reproduce these issues on my computer, which I cannot.

You know, from my own experience, I know people who never have issues with their computers, and then there's the people who always have issues with their computers. Must be real bad luck. Or something else...

The question is, why do you post thousands of pictures here, and post a thousand times. Instead of doing the right thing, and ask the company for support for your "1.000 € worth software".

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:04 pm The question is, why do you post thousands of pictures here, and post a thousand times. Instead of doing the right thing, and ask the company for support for your "1.000 € worth software".
1. Their forums are rubbish and support have yet to be of any use...
2. KVR Forums have been extremely helpful with not just NI but other stuff too and I feel others may benefit from my journey if someone else ever has any of the issue I've had.

RE: Computer issues
Nope, working away quite happily on the machine, right as rain, only part I can't get fully installed and working is the NI software.

Adobe Creative Suite, Programming IDE's, FTP/SSH/GIT, Visual Studio, SQL Server, Python 2.7 & 3.x, Docker, Virtualisation, Node etc... All fine... Bar NI...

RE: Pictures will all be dead links in a while, I wont keep them on my server for long...

Return to “Instruments”