What was your first hardware synthesizer?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cryophonik wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:52 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:48 pm my uncle who i got the yamaha off had something that looked similar, but we don't have radio shack? so not sure how he would have one.
Maybe it was a Moog Rogue or Prodigy?
nah, this was before he went off and got rich. would have been a less expensive thing for sure.

would have been around 86/7 he bought it, i was about 12 when he gave me the yamaha.

First: Yamaha DX7
Last (because I will probably never buy a hw synth in the future): Roland Boutique D-05
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

speaking strictly of synths, not samplers

1st: some simple keyed single oscillator one octave thingie my father built me in 1978 or so
2nd: some Hohner preset FM synth my brother and i got for christmas in around 1988

1st “true“ HW synthesizer i bought was the Korg Radias R, but only when it became significantly cheaper

final synth i bought was probably the Digitone, as i'm also not planning to buy any more hardware stuff too, unless it's some really cool toy (small & inexpensive) i REALLY need to have.
Not GASsing for anything though.
This goes mostly for software too, unless it's truly a gamechanger (not one of the weekly ones on GS) as i already have pretty much everything i could ever need + lots of bloat from yesteryear i when i was still in my self discovering process and had more money than sense to spend
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Roland Jupiter-6. :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHnK-BPS-Uw

Looking back it was a horrible thing but it got me started down the long, dark road. I must have owned 20 or more since then. I might list/rate them all at some point.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Juno 106. No way could I afford it. I actually didn’t even really want it, but friends talked me into going in on it with them so we could get string and horn sounds in our songs. Ended up mostly using it for weird sounds. I wish I knew what happened to that synth.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Ensoniq ESQ-1

As a child, my first synth was a Yamaha PSS-480 (with its groovy but cheap sounding demo song, shown here!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdXqRlvc-jY

As an adult, my first purchase was a Roland SH3
(which is quite a funky-sounding early 1970s synth, but I'm not entirely sure why I bought it now as my first proper analogue synth :oops: :hihi:):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5bBOx--SxQ

Digisound 80 modular
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Access Virus B if I remember correctly. :)

First used was a Bontempi organ, belonged to family.
First puchased was a Sequential Circuits Six-Trak, followed by a Jem String Machine and MS-20.

vurt wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:48 pm my uncle who i got the yamaha off had something that looked similar, but we don't have radio shack? so not sure how he would have one.
Tandy was the original company name, they renamed to Radioshack elsewhere, but not in the UK. Most places had a Tandy in the 80s or so, I reckon.

Own-name brand was 'Realistic' across both, I believe.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Elka Synthex, which I still have.

Roland System 100.. specifically the main unit with keyboard 101 and the 102 expander in 1977

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:25 pm
Tandy was the original company name, they renamed to Radioshack elsewhere, but not in the UK. Most places had a Tandy in the 80s or so, I reckon.

Own-name brand was 'Realistic' across both, I believe.
ah, yeah, we had tandy :tu:
that would probably be more likely than moog at that point :)
probably the same one.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”