Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

MitchK1989 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:51 pm
MitchK1989 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:23 pm The lowest key/highest key modulators are definitely the most accurate way to do it (alas with no portamento) if you want FM/RM/Sync between the duophonic oscillators (my favourite oddy trick)
Yeah, except Surge doesn't do inter-osc sync. :)
D'oh, you're right - for that effect I used low note priority mono mode and then highest keytrack for the sync parameter.
So you wouldn't be able to do that while also hearing two notes? Maybe I'm not following.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm So you wouldn't be able to do that while also hearing two notes? Maybe I'm not following.
It would be possible but slightly more difficult:

set surge's mode to low note priority monophonic.

Use oscillator 2 without any sync or anything as is to be your "lower" osc

Use oscillator 1 as your "high note" osc in one of two ways:
If you don't want sync turn off keytracking for that oscillator and then instead modulate pitch by highest note keytracking so it follows your high note while OSC 2 follows your low note
if you DO want sync leave keytracking on (so the base pitch of osc 1 is the same as osc 2) but modulate the sync parameter by highest note keytracking instead.

The reason you want oscillator 2 as your low note osc and oscillator 1 as your high note osc is that I'm assuming you would want the sync target to also be the FM target to play in tune (since you can set the inter-osc FM so that osc 2 FM's osc 1) but you can reverse the FM routing by swapping the two oscs you use for each part.

I'm fairly certain if you do it as I've laid out here you still get the option of portamento on your low note oscillator just like on the oddy since it's still following the synth's main keytracking mode.

You could also try flipping the whole thing around and making the higher note be the "main" note that gets portamento etc while you use the "lowest note" keytrack modulator for lower notes too.

MitchK1989 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:54 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm So you wouldn't be able to do that while also hearing two notes? Maybe I'm not following.

If you don't want sync turn off keytracking for that oscillator and then instead modulate pitch by highest note keytracking so it follows your high note while OSC 2 follows your low note
if you DO want sync leave keytracking on (so the base pitch of osc 1 is the same as osc 2) but modulate the sync parameter by highest note keytracking instead.

The reason you want oscillator 2 as your low note osc and oscillator 1 as your high note osc is that I'm assuming you would want the sync target to also be the FM target to play in tune (since you can set the inter-osc FM so that osc 2 FM's osc 1) but you can reverse the FM routing by swapping the two oscs you use for each part.

I'm fairly certain if you do it as I've laid out here you still get the option of portamento on your low note oscillator just like on the oddy since it's still following the synth's main keytracking mode.

You could also try flipping the whole thing around and making the higher note be the "main" note that gets portamento etc while you use the "lowest note" keytrack modulator for lower notes too.
]
Thanks for the info! I copied and pasted for when I get time to try that. :)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:52 pm
MitchK1989 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Thanks for the info! I copied and pasted for when I get time to try that. :)

By the way, for the Surge devs, there's a discussion over at the U-He forum about voice handling with mpe in mono mode. Surge is one of the few synths (along with Roli/fxpansion) that actually does independent voice modulation tracking and works correctly in mono mode with mpe so that the glides and portamento and and you can do legato techniques with separate note modulation, and everything works as expected. I wonder if the Surge devs could give Urs some pointers:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=563108
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oops, accidental quote.

Frankly surge handles microtuning and MPE the way every synth should

Just need modmappers for when you want to rescale pressure response etc (right now you can make them with the MSEG but I think the plan is for something more dedicated in the future)

MitchK1989 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:16 am Frankly surge handles microtuning and MPE the way every synth should

Just need modmappers for when you want to rescale pressure response etc (right now you can make them with the MSEG but I think the plan is for something more dedicated in the future)
Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah proper operators in the modulation graph is definitely part of our plan. Probably not in the summer release though.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:55 pm By the way, for the Surge devs, there's a discussion over at the U-He forum about voice handling with mpe in mono mode. Surge is one of the few synths (along with Roli/fxpansion) that actually does independent voice modulation tracking and works correctly in mono mode with mpe so that the glides and portamento and and you can do legato techniques with separate note modulation, and everything works as expected. I wonder if the Surge devs could give Urs some pointers:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=563108
Dropped in a comment.

New to Surge, extremely impressed, just wanted to thank all devs for the best freebie synth out there, IMO. Looking forward to the new version!

We are happy to release Surge 1.9 today!

Surge 1.9 is a major feature expansion over January's Surge 1.8 release, including 4 new oscillator types, 15 new effects, a large number of microtuning enhancements (including support for ODDSound MTS-ESP!), substantial new content including a set of patches tailor made for our new oscillator algorithms by Jacky Ligon, and much more.

The oscillators include low aliasing Modern algorithm, high aliasing 8-bit algorithm (Alias), a plucked waveguide algorithm (String), and a famous Eurorack module presented here as Twist. New effects include Tape (based on the awesome ChowTapeModel!), two flavors of resonators, Exciter, a few new distortions and a famous live input
granular processor from Eurorack.

As always you can download Surge at our website and you can find the full changelog here.

Finally, we are all volunteers and we've worked hard on testing Surge and all the new features, but great bug reports make great software. If you find a problem, or have an idea for a new feature, or want to work with us on our next version, please get in touch on our Discord server or via our GitHub, both of which you can access from Surge's About screen.

Have fun making music with Surge 1.9!

Great work! Thanks! :tu:

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 pm We are happy to release Surge 1.9 today!
That's a great news. Congrats to the Surge team for the magnificent work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks a lot for the update. Gonna upgrade tomorrow!
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Thank you very much ! :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Return to “Instruments”