Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

felis wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm
dellboy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:18 pm ....The new system that they are going to implement will have two activations.
Link to your source?
"We also anticipate that it will be possible to authorise the software on more than one computer, but, again, the details remain to be worked out."

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/announce ... /701409/47

I also think they should allow at least 2 activations. That's the "sweet spot" for me.

De-activate/Re-activate from any computer would be good. Say you're working with one computer that goes belly-up.

You go to your new computer and de-activate the old one, and then activate the new one.

Not as simple as just moving your dongle, but it could work.

So, Steinberg site has been maintenance whole day. Maybe something is happening now? :P

Oooh...

Well, maybe new Wavelab launch. :) Or they couldn't handle all the download requests for that new Ping Pong plugin. :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVhnH__W5co

Site works for me, BTW.

Any new rumors on the timing of changes? I'm considering buying in their current sale, but of course, you still need a dongle for right now, which just seems strange considering the "announcement" they've already made.

I did read that it looks like it'll be a c/r like adobe or Microsoft, but I'm curious about when.

elxsound wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm Any new rumors on the timing of changes? I'm considering buying in their current sale, but of course, you still need a dongle for right now, which just seems strange considering the "announcement" they've already made.

I did read that it looks like it'll be a c/r like adobe or Microsoft, but I'm curious about when.
I am guessing next year with Cubase 12 .

ozinga wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:10 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm Any new rumors on the timing of changes? I'm considering buying in their current sale, but of course, you still need a dongle for right now, which just seems strange considering the "announcement" they've already made.

I hope it won't require upgrading, I've recently switched to Bitwig (after waiting 26 years for Steinberg to finally exploit the possibilities of a digital music production system, instead of simply emulating yesterday's hardware paradigm).

It would be such a relief to finally be rid of that dongle (and the stress it has caused me over the years).

cptgone wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:22 pm

I hope it won't require upgrading
I doubt it will, if it will happen before the next major version. After all, they said that ALL the supported (i.e. the ones they are still selling) products will benefit from the new authorization system. That includes the products I have from them (hopefully).

Not sure with Cubase though. If it really happens next year, and Cubase 12 has been released by then, I would think that it requires you to update, if you're still on version 11. Because, they won't sell Cubase 11 anymore then.

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:29 pm
cptgone wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:22 pm

I hope it won't require upgrading
I doubt it will, if it will happen before the next major version. After all, they said that ALL the supported (i.e. the ones they are still selling) products will benefit from the new authorization system. That includes the products I have from them (hopefully).

Not sure with Cubase though. If it really happens next year, and Cubase 12 has been released by then, I would think that it requires you to update, if you're still on version 11. Because, they won't sell Cubase 11 anymore then.
What I mean is it might be ready by then ( both for 12 and older versions) as they are still at the investigation stage according to their announcements and not much time left for 11.5.

Well, I might as well wait for the next sale then. I don't like the idea of buying a dongle that they know will become obsolete. That just doesn't make sense.

If by miracle, they update their plan before May 2nd I'll buy in, but I'm guessing that won't happen since there will be lots of angry new users that were just forced to buy the dongle.

The sale is probably not that well thought out, except that I did see they've removed the stickies from their social media accounts regarding the announcement. It seems like a shady move the more I think about it.

elxsound wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:38 pm Well, I might as well wait for the next sale then. I don't like the idea of buying a dongle that they know will become obsolete. That just doesn't make sense.

If by miracle, they update their plan before May 2nd I'll buy in, but I'm guessing that won't happen since there will be lots of angry new users that were just forced to buy the dongle.
I'm pretty sure the dongle won't be a big problem, when you purchase a product which costs - 582 € for Cubase Pro; 502 € for Wavelab Pro; or 1.000 € for Nuendo. If it then happens that the authorizations switches to a non-dongle solution, your biggest issue will be a piece of plastic in the wastebin.

And, if you buy one of the upgrades which are on sale ATM, then (most likely) you already have a dongle.

I believe the elicenser will still be in use until at least the end of 2024. Why?
.(.. thinking.).they said they'll give plenty of time for the transition..so..if an announcement is to be made at some point later this year then .. around 2.5y is my plenty.. :hihi: ... anyway I still think the key will still be in use but a verification will have to be made periodically... anyway when an update or upgrade is executed it has to be done online and license is written to the key.

For many life is easier when they don't have to authorize and deauthorize a few machines they use.
Easier to just plug in the key.
I hope the dongle will live. :party:
If not...some form of recycling should take place... imagine them sending everyone a prepaid envelope so you can recycle the electronic key. And you'll get a credit or a discount {32digit personal code :tu: } when making a purchase in the future..
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

I don't think it will take so long until they come up with the new system. 1 year max IMO.

They said that eLicenser will continue to work for the products which use it, though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”