PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian
1116 posts since 17 Jul, 2007 from Baghdad-Iq

Post Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:23 am

It is possible to pay (donate) to support the developer and the process in general, this is really helpful :)

Bottom of the page to find the donate button:
https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/pg8x/
Saif Sameer - content designer
Reveal-Sound Image-Line SoundCloud

KVRAF
6957 posts since 4 Apr, 2005 from here and there

Post Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:34 am

Cool, thanks !
:clap: :hyper: :D

:tu:

KVRer
27 posts since 31 May, 2015

Post Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:35 pm

Just showing some love for the PG-8X - this video turned me on this plugin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTu3-1nSYJc

KVRAF
2730 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:49 pm

MartinJandl wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:05 pm
* I think this is intentional, but it would be awesome if the preset manager would not be dependent on loading a bank on every new start of the plugin
Instead, it would be nice if it 1) reloads the last bank or 2) a preset folder is used, from which all included banks are loaded. 3) banks can be converted into single Patches, and PG can access all, or even create banks to export to a JX.
Yes, I second this! I stopped using PG-8X a couple years ago because of this...but the plugin sounds so damn good. I wish the patch system would be updated so I can start using it in my projects again.

KVRAF
2730 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:51 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:16 pm
no i agree with gentle on this. its perfect as it is. leave it as it is. only bug fixes and so on.
Other than an improved patch system, I agree.

KVRAF
3406 posts since 3 Jan, 2003 from Vancouver

Post Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:56 pm

Preset folder and default bank can be added to the .ini file. I put mine in my OneDrive folder path, but it can probably be anywhere.

Code: Select all

#PG8X configuration file

DEFAULT_NUM_VOICES = 12
GLOBAL_GAIN = NORMAL
IMMEDIATE_WRITE = FALSE
LOCK = 
MIDI_THRU = FALSE
PRESETDIR = C:\Users\<YOU>\OneDrive\Documents\PG-8X\
DEFAULT_BANK = C:\Users\<YOU>\OneDrive\Documents\PG-8X\DrewDale64SoundBank.PG8Xbank
SEND_PARAM_SYSEX = TRUE
SEND_PROG_SYSEX = TRUE
This may not be what you were looking for, but it might be worth knowing for someone else. It took me a little while to track down enough details for me to be able to get it do presets somewhat normally.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

KVRAF
21529 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:17 am

Also you can set up a default preset in most DAWs, after you load your wanted startup bank...

KVRer
15 posts since 10 Nov, 2020

Post Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:16 pm

pough wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:56 pm
Preset folder and default bank can be added to the .ini file. I put mine in my OneDrive folder path, but it can probably be anywhere.

Code: Select all

#PG8X configuration file

DEFAULT_NUM_VOICES = 12
GLOBAL_GAIN = NORMAL
IMMEDIATE_WRITE = FALSE
LOCK = 
MIDI_THRU = FALSE
PRESETDIR = C:\Users\<YOU>\OneDrive\Documents\PG-8X\
DEFAULT_BANK = C:\Users\<YOU>\OneDrive\Documents\PG-8X\DrewDale64SoundBank.PG8Xbank
SEND_PARAM_SYSEX = TRUE
SEND_PROG_SYSEX = TRUE
This may not be what you were looking for, but it might be worth knowing for someone else. It took me a little while to track down enough details for me to be able to get it do presets somewhat normally.
This always bugged me about this plugin, but thanks for this fix!

KVRer
3 posts since 7 Apr, 2021

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I am running MacOS Catalina. My DAW is Live 11. I have downloaded both the MacApp.zip and MacVST.zip, unzipped them and read the users manual from Martin Lüders' VST site. When I read the user manual regarding the Mac installation is says to place the, "PG-8X.vst (for MAC) files into your standard VST folder (please, refer to your DAW documentation, where VSTs are expected to be located). No other files are necessary. After using the VST for the first time, an additional pg8x.ini file will be created. Make sure that the plugin has sufficient
permissions to create and write that file."

So I did that, and Ableton will not pick up the .vst even after I have it manually scan for it.
Perhaps I was wrong in doing this, but I also placed the Mac App portion of PG8X in the Applications folder. When I launch the app, the GUI for PG8X comes up, but no matter what I do, nothing happens when I play notes, tweak parameters, etc. I've configured it to recognize my MIDI controller, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Even if the I did something wrong with placing the PG8X Mac App in the Applications folder, with the .vst portion being in my VST folder, Ableton should have picked it up when I scanned for it.

So I'm not sure what I've done wrong here. I'm extremely enthused to use it as when I was a teen I owned a JX3P, and later, a friend of mine had the JX8P. They didn't have the PG-800 to go along with it, but I would have been very happy if I'd ever gotten to use that when making sounds. So you can understand why I'm so eager to get this working! LOL.

Anyway, if any of you have any words of advice I'd be most appreciative,
Thanks in advance!

KVRAF
1983 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:37 am

Wanna try this one

KVRian
672 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:31 pm

question to developer (s?):
are there any plans on supporting the new MTS-ESP ODDsound tuning system ?

https://oddsound.com/
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=563023

KVRian
672 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:32 pm

Digicoma wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:43 pm
I am running MacOS Catalina.
not sure, but: doesn't it have to be notarized for catalina and up ?

DuX
KVRAF
3798 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Underworld

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 am

I'm so excited to hear about plans for the Linux version of PG-8X, and the new GUI looks even better than the old one indeed. :hyper:

Gosh, I'm already doing projects in Linux since so many plugins I use just somehow hot their Linux version in the last couple of years, but W7 is unfortunately still my main workstation OS. Slowly getting closer to using Linux only, though... I know that day will eventually come. :party:

Thank you soooo much to everybody involved, but especially the Surge Project team, of course. You guys rock really hard! :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

KVRer
3 posts since 7 Apr, 2021

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 am

If PG8X is not notarized for Catalina, I guess I am in a limbo state. I don't know exactly what to believe based on other things I've read, but is this .vst gearing up for a commercial release? If so, do we know what the time frame expectations are? Is it going to be released soon? Same goes if it is not going to be commercially released, is a version of it that is notarized going to be released soon?

KVRAF
21529 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:40 pm

Nothing is happening "soon". There's lots of work to be done. Also Martin's intention for PG-8X was not for it to go commercial.

Also notarization and open-source projects, hmmm... See this issue for Surge.

Return to “Instruments”