RapidComposer v4 feedback and discussion

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
KVRist
135 posts since 10 Feb, 2018 from Cumbria, UK

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:34 am

lovemusic15 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:15 am
Nice idea Mike, most mainstream track these days are a little bit faster around 110, 120 bpm be interested to see if you could make it more like this track ,
Yes, it was at 80 bpm so a little slow. I think the vocals are quite choppy so would sound more lively with them included.

I'll have a look at the Dennis Lloyd one. This is a foray into a genre very unfamiliar to me (blues / rocker at heart) so a good workout for me to expand genres. :)

Cheers. Mike.

KVRist
135 posts since 10 Feb, 2018 from Cumbria, UK

Post Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:41 am

Ok. So this is what I managed with that one ;)
https://youtu.be/euB9m9HVDfY

Bearing in mind that RC is not a DAW so no EQing or mixing etc. You'll never get anywhere near production quality without going to the DAW as the next part of the workflow.
You'll have to imagine the vocals :)

I don't have the right drum samples for this but you get the idea.
The song seems pretty much a repeated section with instruments / rhythm dropping in and out so you could build it up as much as you want with the perc / bassline etc. The vocals make a BIG difference but didn't want to go near that as it probably wouldn't last two minutes on YT without a copyright strike even for a cover or something remotely similar. (not that I would even attempt vocals).
This is for education purposes only of course :) All in All, RC can be used for pretty much any genre. With the right sounds and vsts, it can help tremendously with getting the composition up and running. I probably would do this in a DAW with the RC plugin but wanted to push the standalone to see how far I'd get.

Edit: Surprisingly this showed as 100bpm. I think it's the vocals that make it sound faster / syncopated.

Edit [2]: Attila, if you want to move these from the feedback thread, please go ahead. I wasn't sure where to post these. :)

Cheers.
Mike.

KVRist
106 posts since 12 Aug, 2015

Post Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:05 am

Brilliant job Mike exactly what I was hoping you would do. We need more videos like this to show that people can make whatever genres they like with Rc. Could you make a video that shows exactly the steps you took to make it.
If you send me the project I can put the right sounds in and send you back a mp3, so it will give that before and after effect. If your up for it maybe we could make a little series of 1 min videos of remakes or tracks that sound close to the originals ,so that people get to see the potential of RC.

Thanks

Dan

KVRian
1265 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Post Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:52 am

Hello Attila!
On my other Mac, it is also impossible to get rid of the crash when working with the Percussion Generator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRian
1265 posts since 30 Nov, 2013

Post Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:13 am

Unfortunately, I have never had so many problems with RC 4.2b2 (Mac OS 10.13.6) ... Plugin (Au and VST) crash my DAW (Digital Performer 10.13) and there is no synchronization of the plugin with DAW . ((

sj1
KVRian
543 posts since 13 Mar, 2017

Post Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:55 am

Hi Atilla.

Could you tell us if you are still working on the Mac acceleration project, or have you been able to return to more universal efforts on RC?

Thanks.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

4445 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:20 am

Mykyndryd_ wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:41 am
Ok. So this is what I managed with that one ;)
https://youtu.be/euB9m9HVDfY
This is very cool, Mike! :tu:
Using only phrase generators again...
And thanks for the explanation!
Mykyndryd_ wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:41 am
Edit [2]: Attila, if you want to move these from the feedback thread, please go ahead. I wasn't sure where to post these. :)
This discussion is perfect here.

Thanks!
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:41 am

Hello lulukom!

Good news: I managed to reproduce and fix the crashes which happened when the pop-up menu opened (on macOS only)! I'll upload a beta version soon. I am planning to upload a v4.1.4 update on Monday because a few other bugs have been fixed in the past days.

Thanks!
Attila
lulukom wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:52 am
Hello Attila!
On my other Mac, it is also impossible to get rid of the crash when working with the Percussion Generator.
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:17 am

I have only an older version of Digital Performer v9.51 but RC v4.2b2 worked well with it on macOS 10.13.6. Synchronization is perfect here.
What was the last RC version that worked well? Can you send me crash dumps?

Is it possible you have several versions of the RC plug-in in the same folder with different names? Maybe Syne or Melodya too? When multiple plug-ins have the same symbol defined, macOS will choose one randomly. This is not funny...

So if you start DP from the Terminal and examine the printout and see
Class <name> is implemented in both <plugin#1> and <plugin#2>. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined. :x
please have only one plug-in.

Thanks,
Attila
lulukom wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:13 am
Unfortunately, I have never had so many problems with RC 4.2b2 (Mac OS 10.13.6) ... Plugin (Au and VST) crash my DAW (Digital Performer 10.13) and there is no synchronization of the plugin with DAW . ((

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:23 am

Hi Steve,

yes, I am working on hardware acceleration, so recently I spend less time browsing the forum. I do bug fixes and add smaller features to RC.

Thanks,
Attila
sj1 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:55 am
Hi Atilla.

Could you tell us if you are still working on the Mac acceleration project, or have you been able to return to more universal efforts on RC?

Thanks.

KVRian
1221 posts since 15 May, 2017

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:08 am

I posted a couple bugs, but, don't remember how long ago.. one was history of a phrase not updating on regenerate.. don't remember the others..

sj1
KVRian
543 posts since 13 Mar, 2017

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:12 am

Thanks for checking in Attila. I wish for you a solid breakthru on that Mac acceleration!

I'll have my fingers crossed for MIDI export length fix in v4.1.4 update, or soon thereafter.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:09 am

sj1 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:12 am
I'll have my fingers crossed for MIDI export length fix in v4.1.4 update, or soon thereafter.
The MIDI export length is fixed now, as we speak ;)

KVRian
1274 posts since 11 Nov, 2013

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:28 am

lovemusic15 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:58 am
There are some great producers / composers in this forum making orchestral music but is there anybody here using RC to make mainstream music ?
for famous mainstream music you need work much with a good rythm with diffrent note length in the phrases and set repetition in the melody generator or random generator to a high value. I use 19%

I think the melody editor can this good. maybe with this settings of the phrase you can get with the dice button what you like. good is when set note length option(right from octave text on top) set from default to legato and maybe 85%

attach is a mainstream simular phrase that can see in browser in composition and click. here can see which random settings it use. I currently did not know how i can use custom rythms so they stay always same or can modify by hand. maybe there is readme of the newest rc melody editor ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
win 10 64 Build 18363 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 16 GB Ram

KVRian
1274 posts since 11 Nov, 2013

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:00 am

here is for a example a fame song. let it be. it have many repeating notes in melody. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9co96nkM5to also important is that note steps are not so large. few repeating notes and large note steps on this can detect algorithmik composers and not fame songs. but RC is able to avoid large note steps and can do repeating notes. so in theory can write a charts 1 Song
win 10 64 Build 18363 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 16 GB Ram

Return to “MusicDevelopments”