Is GForce M-Tron Pro still the best "Tron" vst?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Resamp from Logic Sampler, hmmm))
Interesting, thanks!

Saw wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 am M-Tron Pro crash the Logic 10.5.0 still yet...
Any good news?
The Mellotron which is included in Logic Pro works flawlessly and sounds amazing!

But Gforce Mello have so many wonderful presets!)

Saw wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:27 pm But Gforce Mello have so many wonderful presets!)
Lol, yes true, however, the presets are only made by mixing said patches and adding rudimentary sound design elements that can be recreated elsewhere. In other words, the samples are the same, and the sound design elements are limited to those offered by the proprietary plugin.

I prefer to have the most raw, authentic sampled tapes. So I sampled the M-Tron, which to my ears is still the best. I sampled it to perfection, and now, A/B tests with raw M-Tron Pro patches/recreated multi-sampled Kontakt patches are truly indistinguishable. As far as the subsequent sound design...well I prefer to design my own signal chain for that.

This way I can create presets that you couldn't dream of on the original VST interface (which, as far as I can see, GForce has essentially designed as a limited 2-oscillator synth). And I'm sure I could recreate most of the presets in another sampler, if I put my mind to it...improve on them maybe! :D

the tape recorded sounds used in a mellotron are lo-fi enough that any of the many samples of it on the internet can make just about any sampler "the best" tron VST
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:44 am the tape recorded sounds used in a mellotron are lo-fi enough that any of the many samples of it on the internet can make just about any sampler "the best" tron VST
There are differences in the quality of sound from one set of samples to another. Most of the available sample sets have come from machines with old, worn out tapes. Very few sets made from new tapes are available. Compare the M-Tron Streetly Tapes (sampled from brand new EMI tapes) to the stock M-Tron tapes or to most every other sample sets and you will hear quite a difference in quality.

+1 to what taijiguy said (and thank you, sir, for your tasty samples! I enjoy them very much!)

Not all Mellie samples are created equally, though I’ll agree that the instrument is, by its very nature, forgiving when resampled. I think you could use a potato to record a Mellie and still get usable results, eh?

The preset browser list is so slow and irritating to use :?
Decided to convert all the presets (including the expansion tapes) into .fxp files so I could browse/tag them in Bitwig.

Attached/Uploaded it here if anyone else wants them

Update: Added The Streetly Tapes Vol.6
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TR4 on Wed May 19, 2021 10:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

What is the point of resampling so you don't have to use the gforce plugin? How is the plugin holding anyone back?

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:47 pm What is the point of resampling so you don't have to use the gforce plugin? How is the plugin holding anyone back?
I can't speak for that poster, but for me... I think the GUI looks like a 90s Geocities webpage. It's not holding me back, but neither is it particularly inspiring.

I just went from Pro to Complete and the browser is pretty rudimentary. Again, it's not holding me back, but when I read the poster who talked about resampling, I was more intrigued by the possibilities than discouraged by the amount of effort that would require. My $.02.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

How long does it take to get a response from the contact page? Turns out I bought the wrong edition of the MTron and I'd like to get the "Complete" instead. I should've known it was too good to be true, but I'd like to crossgrade to the Complete if possible, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that on the site.

What's the historical low price of M-Tron Complete?

I think they had 50% and 60% off sales in the past but I don't know if those discounts applied to the Complete bundle.

Might buy Imposcar at 50% right now but the price for Complete feels a little steep for me still, given it's age and given that I already own Arturia mellotron.

One Million Dollars
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Don't forget IK's SampleTron
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Instruments”