Komplete Kontrol Workflow

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there,

I'm entertaining buying a NKS controller from Native Instruments.
I am curious to hear about others experience with Komplete Kontrol inside their DAW.
Do you keep one instance open and bounce or do you load up multiple instances?
Is it a help or a hindrance?
Do you use it frequently or just occasionally?
Any discussion on this would be appreciated!
Thanks. :)

I don't ever use it. it's a neat idea but kinda falls flat on its face in actual use.
the keyboard is great though.

I have the S61 mk2 and use it with the KK software inside my DAW all the time. Several instances as my default template. I'm also using a launchpad pro and launch control xl with a few custom scripts for mapping and controlling live 11 and love my workflow - very hands on. There is a lot that can be done without mouse and keyboard.

I have mapped most of my non-NKS plugins with previews and images, so most if not all the things I regularly use I have available. I think it's great for playing and tweaking, not that great for creating patches from ground up though. But I don't think any controllers really can beat a mouse and keyboard for that. Biggest downside to me is the lack of being able to record effect automation. So I usually use them in KK if it suits the workflow, but often times reload them into the DAW's effects chain.

MuzikFreq wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:31 pm I don't ever use it. it's a neat idea but kinda falls flat on its face in actual use.
Same holds true for about any of these manufacturer MIDI learn implementations...

That said, I think Komplete Kontrol is the best of them. I sometimes use it with my Novation Impulse keyboard. Apart from the obvious things (controlling your plugins), I quite like the arpeggiator. It has some nice features.

Typically, I use the onboard MIDI learn of the plugins though. Although I'm using the mouse to tweak parameters about 95% of the time.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:56 pm
MuzikFreq wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:31 pm I don't ever use it. it's a neat idea but kinda falls flat on its face in actual use.
Same holds true for about any of these manufacturer MIDI learn implementations...

That said, I think Komplete Kontrol is the best of them. I sometimes use it with my Novation Impulse keyboard. Apart from the obvious things (controlling your plugins), I quite like the arpeggiator. It has some nice features.

Typically, I use the onboard MIDI learn of the plugins though. Although I'm using the mouse to tweak parameters about 95% of the time.
I use Bitwig and Reason so tools like arpeggios and scales I can do with any synth. :party:

Yeah, I can't argue about the modulation possibilities of Bitwig.

Studio One has an arpeggiator as well, but, it's pretty limited. I only use it for pretty simple application. For the rest, I either use BlueARP, or something like Cthulu (although I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it... just not in love with that kind of approach).

I have only M32.
I use Komplete Kontrol mainly for Massive X (because KK has a way better browser) and for Super8 (because the VST3 version has broken automation in Cubase). Besides that, I use it for their sample libraries but Kontakt libraries I prefer to run in Kontakt instance not KK.
Overall I like the KK idea but how the hardware controllers behave... not so much. I can't use it for anything else than KK in Cubase: on every non-KK track, it switches automatically to 'track mode' after (re)selecting the track and I can only change levels and panning of channels. It can be really annoying because many times I changed track volume while I wanted to turn the midi cc parameter.

Personally, I will not buy any other Komplete controller. It is definitely great hardware for those who are 100% (or close to) in NI environment. As I use Ni and many other synths I found it very limited.

Thank you everyone for your experiences shared. I’m going to skip the Komplete Kontrol!

If you already have a controller, you can try Komplete Kontrol anyway though. Works with any other controller as well, apart from switching template pages, and stuff like that.

I.e. don't just rely on users voicing their opinion here. :)

chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 pm If you already have a controller, you can try Komplete Kontrol anyway though. Works with any other controller as well, apart from switching template pages, and stuff like that.

I.e. don't just rely on users voicing their opinion here. :)
Ya I tried it yesterday at Guitar Center and it didn't even sync up with the A25. Copped a M-Audio Keystation 49 tried, an old tried and true.

lpr wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:53 pm Ya I tried it yesterday at Guitar Center and it didn't even sync up with the A25.
What do you mean with "it didn't sync up"?

pixel85 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:57 am I use Komplete Kontrol mainly for Massive X (because KK has a way better browser)
This is honestly the only reason I ever use Komplete Kontrol: preset browsing. The filtering is nice, and it's great to be able to see and preview presets from multiple VSTs at once

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:06 pm
lpr wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:53 pm Ya I tried it yesterday at Guitar Center and it didn't even sync up with the A25.
What do you mean with "it didn't sync up"?
Didn't even play the keys with Komplete Kontrol. LOL hard pass.

not to influence the decision one way or the other, as I had other reasons for passing on NI when I bought my last controller, but that issue may have been more on the negligent technical skills of the average GC employee than an indication of likely hardware issues with NI's stuff. they probably just didn't install the driver.

No idea TBH. My Komplete Kontrol M32 worked just fine, and my Novation Impulse works just fine with the Komplete Kontrol software as well.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”