How to make the "what is love" sound ?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys ! In case you were wondering , the bass synth they used was the Yamaha TX81Z FM synthesizer preset Lately Bass( Patch 15 in the C Bank) that was released in 1987 . As for the organ I would say that is most probably a Korg M1 (1988) Organ 2 (Patch 17 in the program mode) which was super popular in the late 80's early 90's . Pads was most probably from a Roland Juno-106 and the detune sawtooth was most probably a sample of an analogue synth ie Roland Juno-106 in an Akai sampler and the drums was obviously the Roland TR-909 .

It's preset number 5 from surreptitious advertising. I think that's how it was bought.
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

JeanFrancoisMadeleine wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:06 pm Hi guys ! In case you were wondering , the bass synth they used was the Yamaha TX81Z FM synthesizer preset Lately Bass( Patch 15 in the C Bank) that was released in 1987 . As for the organ I would say that is most probably a Korg M1 (1988) Organ 2 (Patch 17 in the program mode) which was super popular in the late 80's early 90's . Pads was most probably from a Roland Juno-106 and the detune sawtooth was most probably a sample of an analogue synth ie Roland Juno-106 in an Akai sampler and the drums was obviously the Roland TR-909 .
Nice! Too bad they had to wait 13 years for your reply... :wink:

What is time?
Baby, I'm waiting...
Baby, I'm waiting...
So long

e@rs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:19 am
JeanFrancoisMadeleine wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:06 pm Hi guys ! In case you were wondering , the bass synth they used was the Yamaha TX81Z FM synthesizer preset Lately Bass( Patch 15 in the C Bank) that was released in 1987 . As for the organ I would say that is most probably a Korg M1 (1988) Organ 2 (Patch 17 in the program mode) which was super popular in the late 80's early 90's . Pads was most probably from a Roland Juno-106 and the detune sawtooth was most probably a sample of an analogue synth ie Roland Juno-106 in an Akai sampler and the drums was obviously the Roland TR-909 .
Nice! Too bad they had to wait 13 years for your reply... :wink:
Rather late than never!! Lol!!

I’m pretty sure that the organ sound is the rotary organ from Roland sound canvas sc-55, preset number 19
www.synkrostudio.it, www. roundoround.com

dark_virus wrote: Thu May 01, 2008 12:17 am I have a soundfont with this exact sound! I can UL it, in case you just want it.
In this I would be interested, too, if you could send it to me.
C'mon, there must be something that you do in your life besides sleeping or working? And then for the first time he was really thinking and what did he reply: I watch TV!

spinettim wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:55 pm I’m pretty sure that the organ sound is the rotary organ from Roland sound canvas sc-55, preset number 19
It's not that, but it's a Roland alright. It came from a JX-1. There's a very similar patch on U20/U220. Saturation probably coming from overdriving a Mackie mixer or something.

Jx1 rock organ 2 is an epic rotary organ sound that was also used in Felix-Don't you want me that came out a year before What is love from Haddaway. The organ from what is love was either the rock organ 3 from the roland u220 or a Rock organ from the Korg M1

With very famous sounds they often can be found on SEVERAL hardware instruments AND software plugins as presets, can't they? It's like with the hit orchestra sound again which even became a General Midi sound at some point. Some sounds are really hard to synthesize so with these I sometimes agree that it's a good idea to get the sample first so you have something to start with and the sound could be isolated from all the background stuff that masks it in the songs it was used in...

Great. Now I'm going to want to remake this song.

As for famous sounds, there's one DX7 expansion bank which must have come with the synth in a bundle because it's got all the famous sounds on it. If you see them elsewhere, it's after the fact.

dark_virus wrote: Thu May 01, 2008 12:17 am I have a soundfont with this exact sound! I can UL it, in case you just want it.
Since people ask me about the soundfont from time to time, I think it would be good to have a permanent DL link in this thread:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j9_HB- ... Qsgsj/view
PATCH NUMBER: 24

Enjoy, ya 90s freakz! :)

surreal wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:31 am Jx1 rock organ 2 is an epic rotary organ sound that was also used in Felix-Don't you want me that came out a year before What is love from Haddaway. The organ from what is love was either the rock organ 3 from the roland u220 or a Rock organ from the Korg M1
yeah but the big difference is, the felix track is awesome!

vurt wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:20 pm
surreal wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:31 am Jx1 rock organ 2 is an epic rotary organ sound that was also used in Felix-Don't you want me that came out a year before What is love from Haddaway. The organ from what is love was either the rock organ 3 from the roland u220 or a Rock organ from the Korg M1
yeah but the big difference is, the felix track is awesome!
To me they are both epic.. and imagine the mashup of these two tunes

"What is love
Don't you want me,
Baby don't hurt me
Dont't you want me
Don't hurt me
Don't you want my love
NO MoRE

Sorry for OT, but reminds me of another thread here about lyrics with many persons credited:
Felix -
"Don't you want me?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want my love?
Don't you want my lovin'?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want my love?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want my love?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want my love?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want my love?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want me?
Don't you want my love?
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Jenkins Derek A / Richardson Dwayne / Ware Cassio James Vincent / Williams Cheri Renee / Wright Francis Reuben
Don’t You Want Me lyrics © Wb Music Corp., Crk Music, Inc"(redible*)
*Red

Return to “Sound Design”