IK announces UNO Synth Pro

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like my uno its got a lot of sound for for the price, i like my VST synths but i am feel more inspired with a physical instrument. My Roland with the Zencore engine and it sounds great but the editor for making patches is so uninspiring. I am anxiously awaiting my shipping confirmation to get my grubby hands on the pro and see what I can make it do. Hoepfully we get an official street date soon!

The UNO is a great sounding more ono and they go for silly money now (just over a ton in the UK including tax!) put a good reverb on it and it sounds amazing, lots of sweet spots. I look forward to hearing more real user reviews of the pro when it’s out....although at the pro price point it has more competition (if the price goes anything like the original UNO I expect the pro will be under 400 eventually.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

That's interesting because over here they are more expensive than ever. I think I paid around Au$320 for mine but they are over Au$400 now, despite our dollar being stronger than it was a couple of years ago. Au$229 on Thomann is just ridiculous, they should be flying off the shelves at that price.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Woo-hoo!!!! My Uno Pro Desktop shipped yesterday and should be with me by the end of next week. IK also dropped a video showcasing the factory presets - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BkzxNrXJpk

They are mostly pretty anodyne but there are a couple that hint at a more versatile instrument lurking in there somewhere.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

It's getting even more exciting now - it's in the country, awaiting customs clearance. Hasn't anyone else pre-ordered one? There was so much fuss about the original, I don't get why people don't seem to be even more excited about this, because it's a way better synth.

Question for IK - are we getting a VSTi editor for it? If so, when?

With a VSTi editor, I think I would be in too for the desktop version.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

BONES wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:01 pm I don't get why people don't seem to be even more excited about this, because it's a way better synth.
It's also way more expensive (not saying it isn't worth it) so the Pro has a lot more competition at its price point, there are a lot of mono synths (and even poly synths) in that price range so I guess it is less revolutionary than the original UNO in that respect which may be why its getting less interest. Still, I am looking forward to user reviews and the inevitable IK sales!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It is tempting. With a VSTi editor the desktop version could be nice little travel package with my mac. I have analogs enough without VSTi editors but none with. If they make one, I am going to jump it.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

@ SLiC - there is nothing with anywhere near the feature set of the Uno Pro Desktop for anywhere near as cheap, unless there is some other 3 oscillator synth with dual filters I don't know about. OK, the bigger version is more expensive but it's still only in the same price bracket as a MInilogue or Microbrute and it holds its own against either of those. I also think it sounds better than the Korg and probably the Minibrute, too.

Yeah, it is obviously competent, and due to its duophony, you can even play triads if you like.

I haven't heard one yet so I don't know how it sounds compared to others. I tried MFB Dominion Cub (sold, didn't like!) and have a Behringer Model D (only 1 filter, but it lives in my modular so I have a choice by patching)

Behringer MonoPoly looks good (4 osc as a mono), Behringer 2600 (3 osc) will pull a few people with more space I think. Pulse 2 has its fans (nice big display and a VST editor- 3 analogue osc, just 1 filter I think), Modal COBALT8 (VA) is also getting great reviews (4 osc, 8 voice...this is what I am personally more tempted by at the moment, module or 37 keyboard and a great VST editor, I have a Skulpt so I know it well...it sounds massive and as good as analogue to my ears).

All these ever different and come in around 350- 550 GBP mark...

I'm looking forward to hearing your hands-on thoughts Bones. The interface is actually pretty cool IMO. I'll probably snag one next time I have some financial wiggle room (hopefully soon).

SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:12 pm I haven't heard one yet so I don't know how it sounds compared to others. I tried MFB Dominion Cub (sold, didn't like!) and have a Behringer Model D (only 1 filter, but it lives in my modular so I have a choice by patching)

Behringer MonoPoly looks good (4 osc as a mono), Behringer 2600 (3 osc) will pull a few people with more space I think. Pulse 2 has its fans (nice big display and a VST editor- 3 analogue osc, just 1 filter I think), Modal COBALT8 (VA) is also getting great reviews (4 osc, 8 voice...this is what I am personally more tempted by at the moment, module or 37 keyboard and a great VST editor, I have a Skulpt so I know it well...it sounds massive and as good as analogue to my ears).

All these ever different and come in around 350- 550 GBP mark...
I think the two filters sets the Uno Pro apart from the others... Is there another synth in that price with 2 filters?

Does the desktop model have velocity on those small 'keys'?

The Blofeld has two multimode filters per voice, about 350 for the module. Different but worthy of consideration (the keyboard aversion is lovely, metal 49 weighted keys, about 600 UK)

The UNO Pro is still new so is advertised at 699 UK, you can get the 8 voice Hydrasynth desktop for thirty quid more...I know I am compositing apples and pears, but it just seems a little overpriced to me....the desktop version seems better priced a£ a playable module.

You're comparing the most expensive model, the desktop version is much cheaper yet has an identical feature set so, unless you really, really want yet another full size keyboard, you don't have to pay anywhere near what you're suggesting. I expect the Desktop version to only be about Au$100 more than a Skulpt when we finally get local pricing for it.
SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:12 pmBehringer MonoPoly looks good (4 osc as a mono), Behringer 2600 (3 osc) will pull a few people with more space I think.
No patch memory, those things are doorstops. You literally couldn't give me anything like that, even if they weren't Behringers. And does Behringer's sequencer have 20 lanes of automation? I think DeepMind 6 is probably a better comparison.
Pulse 2 has its fans (nice big display and a VST editor- 3 analogue osc, just 1 filter I think)
I had a Pulse 2, it was OK but ultimately not worth keeping. And no keyboard, sequencer or effects. And the only editors you can get are 3rd party jobbies. They cost extra and they aren't very good. I also paid about the same for a used Pulse 2 as I'm paying for a brand new Uno Pro. They are more aligned with the price of the big Uno Pro than the Desktop.
Modal COBALT8 (VA) is also getting great reviews (4 osc, 8 voice...this is what I am personally more tempted by at the moment, module or 37 keyboard and a great VST editor, I have a Skulpt so I know it well...it sounds massive and as good as analogue to my ears).
It's a lot more expensive, though, which perfectly illustrates my point. I've got a Skulpt and Craft Synth 2.0, their keyboards are unusable but they do sound good. I also rate Cobalt 8 and Argon 8, if I decide to get rid of my Analog Keys I might end up with one or the other, but they are in a different price bracket - around 50% more expensive at Thomann, although about the same price as the big Uno Pro. I don't have any local pricing yet but I imagine it will be similar. Cobalt8 and Argon8 are Au$1249 at the moment, which is $150 off the normal price and about twice what I've paid for my Uno Synth Pro (Au$640). And the other big feature for me is their portability - they run on batteries so I can take them anywhere and not have to worry about power supplies or any of that mess. Even when we play live, getting power from USB means one less wall-wart in our set-up, which has value to us. It's why I favour Ultranova over Analog Keys, although we'll try both in rehearsal before making a final decision. I can almost imagine using neither, just having one or both Unos, Rocket and the Seaboard Blocks on stage.

As for sound, I can hear so much of the original Uno in the demos I've heard, I have no doubt that it's going to sound great. I also think they are really clever to have put two completely different filters into it, rather than just doubling up on the same filter type. Has anyone ever done that in hardware before? I couldn't imagine myself using dual filters much but being able to choose one or the other will greatly expand Uno Pro's possibilities, I think. Then there is the analogue distortion and greatly expanded effects section. 3 voice paraphony is the cherry on top, although something I doubt I'll use. (I don't like Maraschino cherries, either.)
pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:49 pmDoes the desktop model have velocity on those small 'keys'?
I assume not, given that it looks like the same touch surface as the original. I do find the original's keyboard to be quite playable though, where finesse is not required, and running your finger up and down the keys is kinda fun. I was rehearsing last week, playing the Uno from its own keyboard on a few parts and it works well enough, The new one should be even more playable and I've got my Seaboard Blocks and KeyStep for playing with a bit of nuance, where required. But on stage I find it mostly better to minimise velocity sensitivity because I always get carried away and bash the shit out of the keys.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”