Who as tried Arturia FX? How do they compare to waves and soundtoys. thanks!!

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
20702 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:22 am

jamcat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:28 pm
Waves are cartoonish. They over exaggerate the "character" of their models in order to hype studio mythology.
Now that is some properly esoteric remark. :lol:
I use a lot of Arturia synths and FX. I don't use or own any Waves or SoundToys.
Yeah, but you're an expert on them nonetheless, it seems. :lol:

User avatar
KVRist
423 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:09 am

Nevrock5 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:21 am
Who as tried Arturia FX? How do they compare to waves and soundtoys. thanks!!
It's a very broad question, which will lead to an array of differing opinions :)

Maybe demo the Arturia FX in a project and A/B them carefully to similar plugins from other developers (where you can) - and then decide which is sounding better to you :tu:

User avatar
KVRian
703 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:16 am

jens wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:22 am
jamcat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:28 pm
Waves are cartoonish. They over exaggerate the "character" of their models in order to hype studio mythology.
Now that is some properly esoteric remark. :lol:
Not really, if you understand Waves' brand development strategy. Waves' trades on mythology—the myths of the gear they "model", the myths of the studios and engineers they brand with, and the myth of Waves itself. It's all aimed at making you feel like parting with your money will earn you a place in an über-elite club. And it worked really well for them for a long time. But the myth has faded and now their plugins are $29.
jens wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:22 am
I use a lot of Arturia synths and FX. I don't use or own any Waves or SoundToys.
Yeah, but you're an expert on them nonetheless, it seems. :lol:
Yes, I am well versed in both Waves and SoundToys plugins. But as a matter of discipline, I limit the plugins I use to only a few devs. Arturia is one of them.

But I used to use mostly Waves, for a long time, because that was the only game in town, and the guitarist in my band at the time bought a Waves bundle for our studio for $800. Or maybe it was $1600. We thought we were pretty Big Time with that. I have no idea what happened with them. They're probably obsolete now because of WUP.

Never got SoundToys because they weren't on Windows at the time, and I wasn't on Mac back then. And no one needs them now that we have Eventide.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

KVRAF
20702 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:07 am

jamcat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:16 am
jens wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:22 am
jamcat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:28 pm
Waves are cartoonish. They over exaggerate the "character" of their models in order to hype studio mythology.
Now that is some properly esoteric remark. :lol:
Not really, if you understand Waves' brand development strategy. Waves' trades on mythology—the myths of the gear they "model", the myths of the studios and engineers they brand with, and the myth of Waves itself. It's all aimed at making you feel like parting with your money will earn you a place in an über-elite club. And it worked really well for them for a long time. But the myth has faded and now their plugins are $29.
Sorry, but that is really just a load of hogwash you made up as you typed, which contains exactly ZERO actual information - that's what I meant with "esoteric". You could just as well claim their energetic balance is impure over the weekends. The "myth" is that you have knowledge.

User avatar
KVRian
703 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:14 am

Damn, sorry dude.
Didn't realize there were still Waves fanboys in 2021.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

KVRAF
20702 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:22 am

Calling you out for making inane and absurd claims has nothing to do with being a fanboy... :shrug:

you trying to argue your way out of the fact that the Pianoteq "Hohner Electra" sounds nothing like a real Electra at all over at the Pianoteq thread - that was being a good and proper fanboi.

User avatar
KVRian
703 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 am

I actually own Pianoteq and the Hohner bundle, you don’t. You admitted yourself that you based your expert opinion on a couple audio clips that use “customized” settings.

You think Pianoteq sucks but Waves is top shelf modeling. I’ll let your judgement speak for itself.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

User avatar
KVRian
650 posts since 25 Sep, 2014

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:46 am

Wouldn't be KVR without some sort of slapfight :tu:

KVRAF
20702 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:52 am

jamcat wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 am
I actually own Pianoteq and the Hohner bundle, you don’t. You admitted yourself that you based your expert opinion on a couple audio clips that use “customized” settings.

You think Pianoteq sucks but Waves is top shelf modeling. I’ll let your judgement speak for itself.
I own a Hohner Electra - I'd say that beats owning some software that claims to emulate it (while failing epically).
And you being on the record with claiming those examples sound similar to a real Electra ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) already disqualifies you more than I ever could do the same for myself, how hard I might ever try on purpose. :hihi:
Get a new hobby, I am inclined to say - but then again it's all worthwhile as long as you have fun. And nobody is forced to take your babbling any serious after all (anyone who's still unsure whether he/she should, can listen to these examples and read what you wrote about them (and get a good chuckle and a half out of it))

Oh, and one last thing: I am with my judgement regarding the better/newer Waves plugins really in the best company - so yes, my judgement indeed speaks for itself - just not in any way you'd be capable or competent to comprehend.

KVRAF
20702 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:54 am

dumbledog wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:46 am
Wouldn't be KVR without some sort of slapfight :tu:
Love it! :lol:

KVRAF
28101 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:57 am

Their bi-phaser is excellent (pretty high CPU hit though...). And, their plate reverb isn't half bad either. Edit: Oh, their free Juno-60 chorus plugin is good too, albeit a bit too clean IMO.

I'm not very fond of their synths, but, the FX I tried (think I also tried some delay, can't remember now...) are really good.
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRAF
4911 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:59 am

I sold the ones I had and never missed them.
Too many alternatives...

KVRAF
20702 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:37 am

Oh, one thing I want to say about Arturia:

While I don't own Pigments, I really think that on the two other ocassions they came up with a plugin that's not an emulation of any real hardware, they did a marvellous job. Both Eternity and Intensity are for me the stars of the collection and I wish they'd do that more often.

Return to “Effects”