Who as tried Arturia FX? How do they compare to waves and soundtoys. thanks!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 pm Waves are cartoonish. They over exaggerate the "character" of their models in order to hype studio mythology.
Now that is some properly esoteric remark. :lol:
I use a lot of Arturia synths and FX. I don't use or own any Waves or SoundToys.
Yeah, but you're an expert on them nonetheless, it seems. :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Nevrock5 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 pm Who as tried Arturia FX? How do they compare to waves and soundtoys. thanks!!
It's a very broad question, which will lead to an array of differing opinions :)

Maybe demo the Arturia FX in a project and A/B them carefully to similar plugins from other developers (where you can) - and then decide which is sounding better to you :tu:

jens wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:22 am
jamcat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 pm Waves are cartoonish. They over exaggerate the "character" of their models in order to hype studio mythology.
Not really, if you understand Waves' brand development strategy. Waves' trades on mythology—the myths of the gear they "model", the myths of the studios and engineers they brand with, and the myth of Waves itself. It's all aimed at making you feel like parting with your money will earn you a place in an über-elite club. And it worked really well for them for a long time. But the myth has faded and now their plugins are $29.
I use a lot of Arturia synths and FX. I don't use or own any Waves or SoundToys.
Yeah, but you're an expert on them nonetheless, it seems. :lol:
Yes, I am well versed in both Waves and SoundToys plugins. But as a matter of discipline, I limit the plugins I use to only a few devs. Arturia is one of them.

But I used to use mostly Waves, for a long time, because that was the only game in town, and the guitarist in my band at the time bought a Waves bundle for our studio for $800. Or maybe it was $1600. We thought we were pretty Big Time with that. I have no idea what happened with them. They're probably obsolete now because of WUP.

Never got SoundToys because they weren't on Windows at the time, and I wasn't on Mac back then. And no one needs them now that we have Eventide.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 pm
Not really, if you understand Waves' brand development strategy. Waves' trades on mythology—the myths of the gear they "model", the myths of the studios and engineers they brand with, and the myth of Waves itself. It's all aimed at making you feel like parting with your money will earn you a place in an über-elite club. And it worked really well for them for a long time. But the myth has faded and now their plugins are $29.
Sorry, but that is really just a load of hogwash you made up as you typed, which contains exactly ZERO actual information - that's what I meant with "esoteric". You could just as well claim their energetic balance is impure over the weekends. The "myth" is that you have knowledge.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Damn, sorry dude.
Didn't realize there were still Waves fanboys in 2021.

Calling you out for making inane and absurd claims has nothing to do with being a fanboy... :shrug:

you trying to argue your way out of the fact that the Pianoteq "Hohner Electra" sounds nothing like a real Electra at all over at the Pianoteq thread - that was being a good and proper fanboi.

I actually own Pianoteq and the Hohner bundle, you don’t. You admitted yourself that you based your expert opinion on a couple audio clips that use “customized” settings.

You think Pianoteq sucks but Waves is top shelf modeling. I’ll let your judgement speak for itself.

Wouldn't be KVR without some sort of slapfight :tu:

jamcat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:42 pm I actually own Pianoteq and the Hohner bundle, you don’t. You admitted yourself that you based your expert opinion on a couple audio clips that use “customized” settings.

You think Pianoteq sucks but Waves is top shelf modeling. I’ll let your judgement speak for itself.
I own a Hohner Electra - I'd say that beats owning some software that claims to emulate it (while failing epically).
And you being on the record with claiming those examples sound similar to a real Electra ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) already disqualifies you more than I ever could do the same for myself, how hard I might ever try on purpose. :hihi:
Get a new hobby, I am inclined to say - but then again it's all worthwhile as long as you have fun. And nobody is forced to take your babbling any serious after all (anyone who's still unsure whether he/she should, can listen to these examples and read what you wrote about them (and get a good chuckle and a half out of it))

Oh, and one last thing: I am with my judgement regarding the better/newer Waves plugins really in the best company - so yes, my judgement indeed speaks for itself - just not in any way you'd be capable or competent to comprehend.

dumbledog wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:46 pm Wouldn't be KVR without some sort of slapfight :tu:
Love it! :lol:

Their bi-phaser is excellent (pretty high CPU hit though...). And, their plate reverb isn't half bad either. Edit: Oh, their free Juno-60 chorus plugin is good too, albeit a bit too clean IMO.

I'm not very fond of their synths, but, the FX I tried (think I also tried some delay, can't remember now...) are really good.
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I sold the ones I had and never missed them.
Too many alternatives...

Oh, one thing I want to say about Arturia:

While I don't own Pigments, I really think that on the two other ocassions they came up with a plugin that's not an emulation of any real hardware, they did a marvellous job. Both Eternity and Intensity are for me the stars of the collection and I wish they'd do that more often.

Return to “Effects”