Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Empyrean (U-he Zebra 2 Presets) Zebra

DJErmac wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:31 am
DJErmac wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:07 pm .
Zebra2 is super cool for what it does. But when you need a supersaw or anything super modern, go Hive2. .
Dude please , stop it already !
Give me one example of your supermodern sound which you think is not achievable with zebra ( exluding granular + sampling )
OK, this is the exact file I already posted when we had this talk a few months ago.
(no external processing)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14mx2xC ... p=drivesdk
Before this thread, I never knew what a super saw sounded like.

To me, it's one of the ugliest most irritating synth sounds I ever heard, and I kinda gravitate to noisy clangy harsh industrial sounds. Is this one of the so called "supermodern" sounds? Definitely not the music I've been into. What bands use "supersaw"? I want to check them out to make sure I'm not missing something.

A lot of genres/styles rely heavily on supersaws, particularly trance/house. You don't have to like it, but a lot of people do and are very successful at it.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:31 pm Fwiw , I don't care about supersaws at all and never understood the hype why people get so obsessed about it .
Well, it's like with so many hobbies/interests--there are those purists. Like my sister's ex boyfriend was the worst of beer snobs--to the point where you could never drink a beer around him and enjoy it.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

One of the greatest synthesisers ever made. It effortlessly excels in workflow, depth, CPU friendly and sounds great. That's my opinion of Zebra 2.

killmaster wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:34 pm
Zebra2 is super cool for what it does. But when you need a supersaw or anything super modern, go Hive2. .
Give me one example of your supermodern sound which you think is not achievable with zebra ( exluding granular + sampling )
OK, this is the exact file I already posted when we had this talk a few months ago.
(no external processing)

To me, it's one of the ugliest most irritating synth sounds I ever heard, and I kinda gravitate to noisy clangy harsh industrial sounds. Is this one of the so called "supermodern" sounds? Definitely not the music I've been into. What bands use "supersaw"? I want to check them out to make sure I'm not missing something.
I don't know what music you're into, but, if it's not some Minimal Techno stuff or something like that, there most likely is the one or the other (disguised) supersaw sound, pad or something like that, in it as well. It's relly pretty much omnipresent in a lot of electonic music genres.

And, it's no wonder that you get a bit irritated by the sound examples. As I mentioned, you will very rarely hear a non filtered supersaw sound. Typically, they're plucks, pads, leads, with lots of filter modulation going on. And, IMO, the examples also exaggerate a bit on the unison detune.

A short snippet I recorded earlier, with an example you will probably rather hear in Trance music:

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/supers ... k-sylenth1

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:31 pm Fwiw , I don't care about supersaws at all and never understood the hype why people get so obsessed about it .
Well, it's like with so many hobbies/interests--there are those purists. Like my sister's ex boyfriend was the worst of beer snobs--to the point where you could never drink a beer around him and enjoy it.
I think the situation is a bit different here though. It's not the snobs who always start such discussions, it's people who use the respective synths, and get pissed off when you tell them that it can't do some sounds which none of those people care about in the same quality as other synths.

Zebra wasn't really developed with such sounds in mind. Hive rather was. Unless I totally misunderstood the nature of Zebra, of course. ;)

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:45 pm
killmaster wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:34 pm
(no external processing)

I don't know what music you're into, but, if it's not some Minimal Techno stuff or something like that, there most likely is the one or the other (disguised) supersaw sound, pad or something like that, in it as well. It's relly pretty much omnipresent in a lot of electonic music genres.

And, it's no wonder that you get a bit irritated by the sound examples. As I mentioned, you will very rarely hear a non filtered supersaw sound. Typically, they're plucks, pads, leads, with lots of filter modulation going on. And, IMO, the examples also exaggerate a bit on the unison detune.

A short snippet I recorded earlier, with an example you will probably rather hear in Trance music:

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/supers ... k-sylenth1
Thanks for the example. Yes, I know that sound pretty well, just don't use it but it has a nice feel to it.

I prefer hypersaws, or ultrasaws

killmaster wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:34 pm What bands use "supersaw"? I want to check them out to make sure I'm not missing something.
It's in the Darude track Sandstorm. I'm certain you've heard that one; not because I know you, but because we are on the internet.
I hate signatures too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:59 pm
killmaster wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:34 pm What bands use "supersaw"? I want to check them out to make sure I'm not missing something.
It's in the Darude track Sandstorm. I'm certain you've heard that one; not because I know you, but because we are on the internet.
Forget that it's just Snake Oil!

AnX wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:57 pm I prefer hypersaws
You need the Virus then. :)

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:59 pm
Most ugly example of it though. :lol:

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:01 pm
but I've just been vaccinated :cry:

An exemple of a supersaw I absolutely love (from 1’33) :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1_mxkpWSWIQ
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

AnX wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:09 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:01 pm
but I've just been vaccinated :cry:
serum?

Return to “Instruments”