Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Empyrean (U-he Zebra 2 Presets) Zebra

Sylenth1 came to my mind about Synth A, but I'm far far from being a Trance fan, so judge me as a normal listener!

I've always said that Zebra2 has a sweeter sound, so I'll go for : Zebra is B.

Never been a fan of Sylenth1 btw. I have a licence and never used it a single time in ten years in any song.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:41 pm
KBSoundSmith wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:33 pm
DJErmac wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:22 pm Here is the MIDI file.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KDG3B9 ... sp=sharing
And btw : there is absolutely no phaser anywhere. :D
My examples are from two different synths, SynthA and SynthB. One of them is Zebra (I have HZ, but chose to use the regular version). For now I won't say which it is, nor the identity of the other synth. There is a Dry version of each, and a Wet version (uses their internal FX only, a delay and light compression). I didn't slam the volume on these, so portions won't be too loud. I added a filter rise/fall via Modwheel as well.

SynthA-Dry -- https://app.box.com/s/sgnmadsi6bwd1jov901y24wpj0v2xh78
SynthB-Dry -- https://app.box.com/s/xfgf8rvjpe6mfs97vvte0nzo87qi6rci
SynthA-Wet -- https://app.box.com/s/vqvr04affsd4fyit7j8bxbhp98szg396
SynthB-Wet -- https://app.box.com/s/gx5zn8x7gg8okmbz1a3dotj9grwhan7c

I didn't try to replicate your sound. Instead, I referenced a sound I had made with the unnamed synth, which in turn was based off a preset I had come across when demoing Dune (I don't have a license for Dune, and to be clear, the unnamed synth is not Dune). I probably could have matched them closer than they are, but I've reached the amount of time I'm willing to spend for now.
Ouch... they sound so powerless with that endless release and this lack of high frequencies... Why this ridiculous ADSR filter that kills all the power ? Sounds like an intro now...

The worst is B for sure. No high frequencies at all, all muffled and sounds like there is an all pass on it, no transients attack at all.
To reiterate, I made the unnamed synth patch as a replica of a factory patch I encountered while demoing Dune. If you don't like the sound, then I'd advise you to avoid Dune factory patches -- I wasn't trying to emulate your patch or the elements within it. The point was to demonstrate the ability of Zebra to create supersaw patches in the manner they might be heard in other synths, so I chose a patch I had on hand to emulate. As for the Filter sweep, someone mentioned a few pages back they'd like to hear one for xyz reasons, so I figured why not stuff it in too.

Dune has a very, very, very old sounding sound engine. The difference between v1 and 2 is huge.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:41 pm Ouch... they sound so powerless with that endless release and this lack of high frequencies... Why this ridiculous ADSR filter that kills all the power ? Sounds like an intro now...

The worst is B for sure. No high frequencies at all, all muffled and sounds like there is an all pass on it, no transients attack at all.
What did I say about beer snobs?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Made a full 180 with Zebra lately - really appreciating it and have been using it exclusively the last weeks.
It is brilliant as a hi-fi take on the D-50/M1 digital rompler/workstation sound, or hyperreal physical modelling etc. Still really don't like it for basic synth sounds though, but Bazille takes care of that.

Chapelle wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:50 amMost synths pan their unison voices hard left and right. Zebra spreads them across the stereo field, which is what I'm hearing with SynthA.
Hehehe, I was waiting for someone to suggest panning two oscillators hard left/right.

Anyhow, I miss the good old days when then holy grail of synthesis was that brassy lead that plays through that Harrison Ford movie. Stemming from the same era, a good use beyond Supersaw of unison oscillators were Hive's rather convincing TX-16 piano and the infamous Fairlight "Sarah ARR1". That was a lot of fun, and it's indeed a lot more difficult to achieve in Zeebs.

Maybe some day someone should set up a website where they explain what a modern supersaw is, and what makes a vintage one. With sound examples that are raw oscillator output, no envelopes, no filtering, no reverb, no compression. If that proves impossible, then the task at hand is not doable.

Impossible ≠ well suited.

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 am Impossible ≠ well suited.
There's not much to argue about that.

It's either possible to make dry samples of supersaw oscillators that fulfil those characteristics (modern, old, this genre, that genre) or not. Simple logic tells me, if it is possible then we can reduce discussions like here to a minimum, simply be technical analysis. If it's not possible then we can deduct that maybe it wasn't ever only about the oscillators and we can reduce discussions like this to a single link to that website.

I really don't understand why people don't like zebra for the basic sound .
Here's an example of how it can mimick an sh 101
ONe is TAL bassline ( commercial version ) the other one is zebra hz
https://app.box.com/s/r55nch3awd10ya9sijf0bd2aq8ykbt7m
https://app.box.com/s/vx1gaf1xboocayzuzmz4hopqe1dbjkej
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Urs wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:39 am
chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 am Impossible ≠ well suited.
There's not much to argue about that.

It's either possible to make dry samples of supersaw oscillators that fulfil those characteristics (modern, old, this genre, that genre) or not. Simple logic tells me, if it is possible then we can reduce discussions like here to a minimum, simply be technical analysis. If it's not possible then we can deduct that maybe it wasn't ever only about the oscillators
How about it's not only about the oscillators? Is it ever only about the oscillators?

Depends on what you mean in that case anyway. And if you include the way the unison detuning works, or how the voices are spread in the stereo field, when you say that it's "only about the oscillators".

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:45 amHow about it's not only about the oscillators? Is it ever only about the oscillators?
I suspect it's almost entirely about something else, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

I'd argue though that we'll never know unless we start at the beginning, and that's the oscillators.

But anyhow. I was trying to come up with a constructive plan to determine a definite answer - no matter what the outcome for Zebra is. Would that note be in the interest of everyone?

Urs wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:17 am But anyhow. I was trying to come up with a constructive plan to determine a definite answer - no matter what the outcome for Zebra is. Would that note be in the interest of everyone?
As I wrote in my post with the example "I´m always interested how "modern" sound is defined" I definitely would like to hear examples of different genres and ages.

I would say it's mostly defined by the quality /state of the art of the recording equipment. And production techniques, in general.

Return to “Instruments”