Live 11!

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRer
6 posts since 14 Apr, 2021

Post Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:23 am

I agree, but they missed some things:
- the looper (one of the ableton's best instruments) is still old and not updated
- you can't bounce groups in place
- the export naming is not user friendly, you also cannot export multiple parts of the same track in one time, when you have to export 200 little pieces the exporting flow can be really frustrating

these are few of the things i was really expecting. I'm happy with my 11, i upgraded immediately, but i really felt that this upgrade is not huge like the 9-10 was

User avatar
KVRAF
8215 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:01 am

pedronico wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:23 am
- you can't bounce groups in place
You can't bounce nothing in place in Live. And I'm not even talking about Bitwig way, just a regular way where a midi clip(s) is rendered to new audio track and then muted to not ovelap.

Obviously Live's solution to this is resampling, which I believe works both for tracks and groups.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
6889 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:27 am

pedronico wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:23 am
I agree, but they missed some things:
- the looper (one of the ableton's best instruments) is still old and not updated
- you can't bounce groups in place
- the export naming is not user friendly, you also cannot export multiple parts of the same track in one time, when you have to export 200 little pieces the exporting flow can be really frustrating

these are few of the things i was really expecting. I'm happy with my 11, i upgraded immediately, but i really felt that this upgrade is not huge like the 9-10 was
Personally I was massively underwhelmed by 9 - 10 but loved 10- 11! Once again showing you can never please everyone! Actulay the 10 - 10.1 upgrade was bigger for me than 9- 10...so there is still hope that one of the free incremental upgrades in the 11 cycle will give you what you want :tu:

Personally I think the elephant in the room is the browser...its really is basic and just listing thousands of unsorted samples (with just a handful of custom collections available) is really not very modern...it doesn't even automaticity separate VST instruments and fx which is beyond basic for most DAWS. I would love to see DAWS like live start building in automatic sample cataloguing and maybe even grouping/BPM/key etc. Other software seem to be able to do this?
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

lpr
KVRist
144 posts since 28 Dec, 2016

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 am

I have reached the regrettable conclusion Ableton Live is an inferior DAW compared to FL Studio. I mean FL Studio had both scale highlighting and comping for years now. That was worth $200 to upgrade to 11 for Live users? I don't understand the hype around this DAW. Would someone please enlighten me? I had Suite 11 and I wasn't feeling it. Is something wrong with me? Do you think the updates every two years for $200 is worth it after shelling out half a stack on Live in the first place? I don't.

User avatar
KVRAF
8215 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:57 pm

lpr wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 am
I have reached the regrettable conclusion Ableton Live is an inferior DAW compared to FL Studio. I mean FL Studio had both scale highlighting and comping for years now. That was worth $200 to upgrade to 11 for Live users?
Those were not the only new things in v11:
https://www.ableton.com/en/live/all-new-features/

Actually, I don't think I even tried them yet :D

lpr wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 am
I don't understand the hype around this DAW. Would someone please enlighten me? I had Suite 11 and I wasn't feeling it. Is something wrong with me?
No. Just like me "not feeling" FL does not make me wrong.

lpr wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 am
Do you think the updates every two years for $200 is worth it after shelling out half a stack on Live in the first place? I don't.
11 wasn't expected so soon, but on the flipside it's one of the biggest DAW updates in recent history, so there's that going for it. You don't have to buy every upgrade, either.

And it was 3 years between 10 and 11.
Last edited by antic604 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
3313 posts since 30 May, 2006 from Hollow Earth

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:50 pm

lpr wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 am
I have reached the regrettable conclusion Ableton Live is an inferior DAW compared to FL Studio. I mean FL Studio had both scale highlighting and comping for years now. That was worth $200 to upgrade to 11 for Live users? I don't understand the hype around this DAW. Would someone please enlighten me? I had Suite 11 and I wasn't feeling it. Is something wrong with me? Do you think the updates every two years for $200 is worth it after shelling out half a stack on Live in the first place? I don't.
There is nothing wrong with you. I can't stand FL Studio and I don't think there is anything wrong with me either.
Diva - Dune - Omnisphere - Serum - Spire

KVRAF
2565 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:36 pm

Ah, but do you go into FL threads to tell folks how much you dislike it? I think that's the key element here.

KVRAF
3313 posts since 30 May, 2006 from Hollow Earth

Post Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:38 pm

revvy wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:36 pm
Ah, but do you go into FL threads to tell folks how much you dislike it? I think that's the key element here.
Of course not.
That’s common knowledge.
Diva - Dune - Omnisphere - Serum - Spire

KVRist
454 posts since 2 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:26 am

lpr wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 am
I mean FL Studio had both scale highlighting and comping for years now.
How do you do comping in FL? I thought it did not have it.

KVRAF
6889 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:37 am

There is no doubt that Fruity Loops has some killer pro features that make it the superior DAW such as https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-le ... 0Dance.htm

I paid $150 to upgrade to suite 11 and it was very much worth it for the new instruments and sound content alone. If for any reason I stop using Live 11 I can always sell it and get most of my money back....with FL you 'have' to keep liking it, no choice!
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

lpr
KVRist
144 posts since 28 Dec, 2016

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:21 am

andypryce wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:26 am
lpr wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 am
I mean FL Studio had both scale highlighting and comping for years now.
How do you do comping in FL? I thought it did not have it.
Loop recording button. Vocalists I worked with yesterday utilized it heavily in the same fashion we did in Live 11. Much simpler too.

KVRAF
6889 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:00 am

lpr wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:21 am
andypryce wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:26 am
lpr wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 am
I mean FL Studio had both scale highlighting and comping for years now.
How do you do comping in FL? I thought it did not have it.
Loop recording button. Vocalists I worked with yesterday utilized it heavily in the same fashion we did in Live 11. Much simpler too.
That isn't comping as I know it, its just looping? FL Studio doesn't have real comping as far as I can tell (I have FL Producer)...its one of the most requested features for FL 21 on the FL forums...
Comping is normally where you just 'highlight' parts of multiple takes (no cutting) and the software automaticity tales all of the highlighted parts and makes a composite, fast and non destructive.

FL is a great pattern based editor which is great for midi and particularly drums (although even that a few too many windows and a little disconnected for my personal taste). Working with recording live audio in a linear way is still FL main weakness IMO...same with Maschine (which I tend to work with in preference to FL), its great for making and arranging patterns...but even though it 'can' do linear audio I would rather use a DAW that is built from the ground up for that task.
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

User avatar
KVRist
380 posts since 17 Jul, 2015

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:18 am

SLiC wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:37 am
There is no doubt that Fruity Loops has some killer pro features that make it the superior DAW such as https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-le ... 0Dance.htm
Lmao 😂 😂😂

KVRAF
6924 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:25 am

daily patcher wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:18 am
SLiC wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:37 am
There is no doubt that Fruity Loops has some killer pro features that make it the superior DAW such as https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-le ... 0Dance.htm
Lmao 😂 😂😂
This is not for you! It is for your kids when they annoy you while you are working in your projects.
Ok, there is another use actually. It is for you (and your kids) if you want to exercise. This will be your teacher and you move/jump like her/him/it! Tell me about another DAW that is concerned about your health! There isn't!
Studio One Pro v5, Cubase Pro 11, NI, Arturia, u-he, Synapse Audio, Kilohearts, Korg, Sugar Bytes and others.
PC with Win10, MODX 6, KeyLab MK II, iTwo interface, ATOM, DT 990 Pro and HS7 monitors.

KVRer
8 posts since 26 Nov, 2020

Post Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:12 am

SLiC wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:37 am
There is no doubt that Fruity Loops has some killer pro features that make it the superior DAW such as https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-le ... 0Dance.htm

I paid $150 to upgrade to suite 11 and it was very much worth it for the new instruments and sound content alone. If for any reason I stop using Live 11 I can always sell it and get most of my money back....with FL you 'have' to keep liking it, no choice!
How is it so far?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”