What about BFD?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Was the dark GUI there before? I prefer it anyway, although the light blue kit colour doesn't seem quite right with it dark.

Yes, the dark GUI was there before

Your BFD migration is complete!
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

jancivil wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:57 pm Well, the scanning was extremely fast, unlike it has been in the past. I mean screamingly fast. It may have accessed caches or something from the earlier installation. I probably have fewer things than you, but this is a 250GB folder. A few seconds, not minutes.
I don't trust anything. The preset loading is pretty much the same, fast here on an NVME SSD, prob. not faster than before. EDIT: probably is loading them faster, actually. I loaded one of mine I use every day and it was never this fast.
The first thing I saw was one of the Crush presets with massive FX loaded.
It is probably going to see my Auto Map tweaks differently, remains to be seen.
Ok... I'll give it a try... my folder is 620G I'll try and time it and report back. Maybe do a re-scan with the previous version first as a benchmark.

I just got the "migration complete" email, a fewh hours after I migrated. Now I see all the instructions for the free expansion.

All updated, re-scanned and working. I opened a project that uses BFD3 and it appeared to work fine with the new version. Re=scanning in 3.3 took just over 12 mins. Scan in 3.4 took just over 6 minutes.

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 6.54.58 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Got the email today. Did the migration, supposedly. It's been about fifteen minutes since I theoretically set up a new InMusic account. Still can't login, but I'm surmising that they're slammed.

Interestingly for me, all I owned that would migrate is an old drum pack that I probably got for free -- BUT their info says I can upgrade to BFD3.4 for $50, since I have a license for BFD Eco from 2011. :o

The question, I guess, is -- is it worth doing? I'm assuming that the bugs mentioned above have mostly been squashed? I have lots of other drums, but it may not be possible to have too many. I own Geist II, but could never wrap my head around it properly. I'm assuming that BFD is more 'normal'. Is there something centrally broken with BFD these days, or is the buzz that it's a last gasp and not worth putting time and money into?

For the price, the sheer number of gigabytes on offer is impressive.

for two big reasons I have rolled back

well this is the second time roli has screwed me up with updates. the last time they did was right after they took over and the way they fixed me up the last time was to revert back to a working version from 'fxpansion' releases. all installs but sits "not responding" on the new 3.4 version :(

on a side note why do they give an option to install to a drive other than root (win10) but STILL installs some things by default on the root drive with no option to place it? i don't need it all over the place

still awaiting support to respond 'again' lol tbh i am about tired of fighting with this mess... cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

jancivil -- I see you keep changing your posts. :P

Sorry that it's borked for you. You're on Mac, though, right? I'm a PC guy and Win10 also sucks for me. Hopefully not an issue with BFD3's old code.

I think I will wait one day more. The Horsepower expansion as a gift is not bad. Thank you all for sharing experiences.

Here's what I experienced: I use it in VE Pro. The old version was working.
(BFD3 and VE Pro do not like each other much. It's stable, it works but the communication I need, for host automation, is different than with most vis. Workarounds mo' less work.)
First load of the standalone, run in order to scan the content unburdened by other processes, I get this dialog box to click away asking for a keychain confirmation. Just to run it. Persistent little bugger, 4 times clicking it away (it's not meaningful. Dismissing it is the same as giving it a passkey.). Open it in VE Pro; same thing, 4 times. In a template with other things, a project, the rest of the load has to wait for this.
(ROLI has this still in the original Equator, 2 click through-dismissals before anything in the project can be accessed.)
Launch Cubase, click through 4 times in scanning the new plugin. Close out and restart to see if this persists. Ok, now it's 2 click throughs. Very irritating but I'm already living with it in case I want Equator in a project.

And so I'm connected to the project I'm working on, which I did have an issue with as regards BFD3 on Sunday. Overnight some gremlin made my mono outs (a group bus) not sound.
I do not know the culprit, it's probably not Cubase, but the symptoms there suggest to me 50:50 BFD3 v. VE Pro (output configuration SNAFU).

Connected with BFD3.4 now (the only change is it's the new version), hit playback and there are no drums heard.
(On Sunday the issue was the mono outs were not sounding. Signal to the drum channels, but it's not getting back to Cubase and my audio interface. Change outs 7-8 to 5-6. Mono outs sound now.)
Check to see if it's like the other SNAFU. Nope. No MIDI is getting to BFD3.4. I do not know why, same connection of same project to same project, the one thing, the new BFD3.4 is different. Everything else (in both cases) untouched.
So I tend to go with that correlation, but if I'm scrupulous I have to say I cannot be certain. I quit and relaunched the thing, no change. Real investigation means an expenditure of time and I have something hot on the burner right now.

I started to address this:
"bugs mentioned above have mostly been squashed?"
I didn't see any bugs mentioned above. I decided not to after BFD3.4 would not hear the MIDI, which isn't so much a bug as not quite working.
The host automation used to be completely broken, now it's imperfect with perhaps one bug I know of. BFD's normally very stable and my little maybe bug is not impactful apparently to most people, in fact I have no evidence of anyone else noticing any of the above.

GreyLion wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:45 am Hopefully not an issue with BFD3's old code.
well, installing it overwrites the old version, and the result here was a lot of internal files wound up in the trash, ie., it looks like old code is wiped away. I've never noticed a result like that before, tho

@jancivil I actually got an NFR of VE Pro7 to checkout your issues, but I don't have an eLicenser dongle, so need to get one of those first. You're not the only person using that host, so I would really like to see where the issues are with it.

We require the software to be installed to Program Files\BFD Drums. If you redirect it to FXpansion or any other folder, it will break the app. Sorry but this isn't possible to change right now, but it's common enough that people want to do this that I think we should try to support it.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

there is a keyless version of the VEP 7 demo, it installs and runs with no elicenser interaction

There is no such thing as Program Files on a mac. There was a directory created called BFD Drums under Documents. Here any application installs to Applications. I'd suppose Program Files is equal to Applications.

I do not do exotic files moving. I have had a folder under Documents for years called FXpansion for the content. Inside of this is the BFD3 user folder stuff, which BFD Drums has established in its folder, as well as new system etc folders in Application Support.
The project loaded all of the preset and the automation looked the same, but you're saying it can't really connect with the older installation I guess. I guess I'm just going to conform everything to new locations.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”