Reason high-res beta starts soon!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:29 am
zoidkirb wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 am...or Windows magnifying glass.
I doubt this. Windows' magnifying glass doesn't have access to app's original assets - it just uses what's on screen and blows it up.
Other VSTs look ok with magnifying glass (ie not blurry) but not that I've even felt the need to before.
Ultimately RS adding a re-size or a zoom would be best. Not too much to ask for.

zoidkirb wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:03 am
I doubt this. Windows' magnifying glass doesn't have access to app's original assets - it just uses what's on screen and blows it up.
Other VSTs look ok with magnifying glass (ie not blurry) but not that I've even felt the need to before.
Ultimately RS adding a re-size or a zoom would be best. Not too much to ask for.
Depends. If you're on e.g. 1080p running at 100% scaling and use the magnifier with 2x or 4x zoom then it will simply double or quadruple the pixels - it will be blocky, but still sharp. Sort of like Minecraft ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

So then, Reason 12 in September?

apoclypse wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:09 am
chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:28 pm
Tronam wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:21 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:03 pm
Tronam wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:57 pm It's not like HiDPI displays are some new, up-and-coming technology. "Retina" MacBooks first launched in 2012 with the 5K iMacs following suit in 2014. Once you've spent a good amount of time staring at that level of razor sharp clarity, it's difficult to go back.
How fortunate that Apple, with their 16% market share world wide or something, aren't the center of the universe. :ud:

Such displays only got affordable a few years back. The average computer user doesn't buy a computer or laptop for 2.000 € plus. While many Mac users do.

Anyway, we can discuss this until next Christmas. Or, we just agree that the vast majority of users still use full HD displays, as that's a fact.
And what percentage of those systems spend their entire existence checking e-mail, paying bills, running Microsoft Office or collecting dust? I would've assumed that most here by now understood how pointless it is to bring up global install-base statistics when considering how many PCs do nothing more than general purpose computing, gaming or business workstation tasks. The point is that Apple represents a large, influential percentage of the pro audio market and many of us have been staring at a fuzzy Reason rack for over 5 years, so this update is very welcome. Pretty much every other audio company in the industry have been "retina" ready for half a decade now.
Yes, there's more Mac users using audio software than the general public.

BTW, the second most used resolution, only a percent or so in second place, is HD ready (1367x768). So, yeah, for common purpose PC use, 4K is as exotic as it can get. Might not be so relevant for audio software use. Would be interesting to see how the market share is there, resolution wise. I'd still say 1080p is the most common resolution, but, who knows?

Where are you getting that statistic from? You can't just say something like that with no actual information/link to back it up. Otherwise it looks like you are making it up to prove your point (which if true makes your point...well pointless).
https://gs.statcounter.com/screen-resol ... /worldwide

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey ... latform=pc

antic604 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:39 am
zoidkirb wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:03 am
Depends. If you're on e.g. 1080p running at 100% scaling and use the magnifier with 2x or 4x zoom then it will simply double or quadruple the pixels - it will be blocky, but still sharp. Sort of like Minecraft ;)
You're right, I'd better grab my pick-axe!
But seriously, I hope the Props just get it sorted. I reckon they will at least have re-sizing on the RRP, as they did with Europa VST.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:42 am So then, Reason 12 in September?
I was hoping it's sooner, but judging by the state of this beta it's really far off.

UNLESS the beta is them quickly (back)porting the high-res stuff from 12 to 11, so that people could test it without risking revealing too much about incoming features?
Music tech enthusiast

Ask them to do ReBirth whilst they are at it ;-)

X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

So there's no scaling in the beta? I was hoping to be able to make Reason something like +125% to make all the tiny little controls useable to my ageing eyes..
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

machinesworking wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:12 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:05 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:04 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:54 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:52 pm As a 1080P user I still find the Reason rack to be too small and look forward to higher resolution.
It really depends on your screen size.
I'm sure this is a joke
No, it isn't. It depends on your screen size, whether or not the Reason rack with 1080p appears big or not.

You can run Reason on a 7" tablet with 1080p, and it'll all be tiny, while it'll be very big when you run it at that resolution on a 32" display. Has nothing to with the resolution itself, but with the resolution/screen size ratio.
That's some serious twisted logic. "high resolution is too expensive!" then you mention 32" displays???? :lol:

I'm using a 27" 1080P display, bog standard. Reason is too small on this display, period.

What on earth???

There is something seriously broken on your end - either your eyes or your graphics setup in some way. I use Reason on two different 15'' laptops without any problems whatsoever - everything has a good size and looks great. On a 24'' screen everyhting is quite big and I think it would be nicely if I could rescale Reason - this all with 1920x1080...

But to claim on a 27'' Reason was tiny is some absurd nosense really!

Can you perhaps make a photo of your complete screen for us and share it here? I am certainly more than willing to do the same with my two laptops and my 24'' screen...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

what is the sense of High DPI scaling, without GUI scaling.

yes when one use big monitors, with high resolution bit still.

i am windows, i must set scaling per monitor?? within windows?

so this approach is totally out of touch with reality?

i simply want that i can resize the rack, no scale windows thingies.

or i am misunderstanding it?

EDIT: 3 monitors 2 x 1920x1080 (one touchscreen), 1 x monitor, with i don't rembember the resolution don't use that much anymore. will be used again..

for me this setup works.

WasteLand wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:29 am for me this setup works.
Then just use it. High-DPI update isn't for you. They never said you'll be able to scale just the devices/rack and it's unreasonable to expect that.
Music tech enthusiast

So, according this topic and topic on Reasontalk, Prop's manage to fail this hi res update? I can read many "disappointing" messages...? 😶

keel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:10 am So, according this topic and topic on Reasontalk, Prop's manage to fail this hi res update? I can read many "disappointing" messages...? 😶
It's not a fail. Many people are ignorant about resolutions, DPI & scaling + they make some baseless assumptions on features that were never announced or hinted at:

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... &t=7521522

My expectation is it will be better than Cubases' (which I'd still call a fail after 3 versions), but worse than Live's (which I'd estimate to be the best). It will include high-res assets and GPU-acceleration, so everyone should experience smoother GUI scrolling and more CPU for audio, whereas only those running at scaling different than 100% will see visual improvements.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 am
WasteLand wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:29 am for me this setup works.
Then just use it. High-DPI update isn't for you. They never said you'll be able to scale just the devices/rack and it's unreasonable to expect that.
i mean this setup works, 3 monitors for reason rack - mixer - tracks,

but me still like to scale the rack. why is it unreasonable? to expect that?

WasteLand wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:58 ambut me still like to scale the rack. why is it unreasonable? to expect that?
I'm not saying it's unreasonable to want that.

But it's unreasonable to be dissapointed it isn't there, as it wasn't announced and RS's trackrecord with regards to implementing stuff isn't stellar, i.e. they rarely go out of their way and add industry-leading stuff (or even industry-standard stuff, some would argue). :)
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”