What about BFD?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

But this is certain, the installer does not create any folder for the application, it sticks it in Applications naked.

Ok, now the keychain bullshit is preventing me from getting into the standalone.
it does not want my computer password. This is abysmal, really. This is the same shite IKMM pulls, some internet log in to use something that is not the internet. It reminds me of a lost day and a half needing to wipe my system and recover it off a mechanical drive after updating the OS, and this exception "API for web demo" not found, also preventing me from using the software I've paid to license.

I have no f**king clue what it wants. It isn't my computer password, it isn't inMusic log in.
I'm officially pissed off now. It's authorized FFS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.30.45 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jancivil wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:05 pm There is no such thing as Program Files on a mac. There was a directory created called BFD Drums under Documents. Here any application installs to Applications. I'd suppose Program Files is equal to Applications.

I do not do exotic files moving. I have had a folder under Documents for years called FXpansion for the content. Inside of this is the BFD3 user folder stuff, which BFD Drums has established in its folder, as well as new system etc folders in Application Support.
The project loaded all of the preset and the automation looked the same, but you're saying it can't really connect with the older installation I guess. I guess I'm just going to conform everything to new locations.
Yes we have new locations for everything. We are not an FXpansion brand anymore. I'm absolutely happy to do a remote session with you to get your machine up and running; send me PM.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

not going to try knowing what I know now, that I can't use it because it wants some key I do not have.
uninstalled, I've had too much of my life wasted with this. I wish I'd never heard of this update.

don't get why you're pointing me to a folder in Program Files. Does one need to create a special directory the installer absolutely doesn't? I cannot be sure what that even means for me. I'm not certain i remember what Program Files is on windows since I haven't had to in 15 yrs. I have established that the content resides in BFD Drums inside of Documents. The application sits where applications all sit. It will not allow me in the standalone because it wants some keychain I do not have. Before I'd conformed to BFD Drums inside of Documents, that PITFA clickthrough didn't care and was dismissable. I need real answers or I just can't trust this.

Same here jan civil

Note: the uninstaller from Application Support/System does not delete the BFD Drums plists in user n/Library/Preferences so donno if that's a source for conflict moving back and forth but for whomever rolls back there's info I would want.

The installer does migrate - copy - the user folder in BFD3 (Grooves/Kits et al) to its directory.

jancivil wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm not going to try knowing what I know now, that I can't use it because it wants some key I do not have.
uninstalled, I've had too much of my life wasted with this. I wish I'd never heard of this update.
The dude just offered to do a remote session to try to help get you setup and you still don't want help? Are you just here to scream in frustration and nothing else? How often do you see companies offer to do remote sessions to figure out what's going on? Get over yourself. Sh*t happens.

Sorry Jancivil, I misremembered your operating system.

I would happily do a remote session with anyone to try and get their stuff up and running. That prompt for licensing isn't normal. No-one else is seeing that. What I would suggest is:

Close BFD3.4
Launch BFD License Manager.
Log Out using the 'user' menu.
It will open a web browser to log you out of the inMusic Profile. Double check that it is definitely logged out.
Close BFD License Manager.
Find the folder: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/com.inmusicbrands.softwareunlock
Delete everything inside it.
Launch BFD3.4.
Click the button to launch License Manager.
Authorize all of your products.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Even if there are problems, I'm glad that this ugly but beautiful software is still alive. I really love the sound of it. I saw so many BFD funerals the last years - I'm glad it's still alive! ...I will try the update these days - hope thats not my funeral!
Greetings (sorry for my optimism)

That new black Look isnt that Shabby. There are things which could be better using its Features But maybe it is moving forward. Great ist is Not dead! I think to is the only serious all tweakable drum vst besides superior drummer. Most others are rather plug and play but dont let you shape your Sound that Good.

Oh we're definitely moving forward. I wish I could blather on for hours on here about all the stuff I want us to build, but I have to be a little circumspect about what I say.

I wanna seriously refine the workflow. I wanna reduce the number of hoops that you have to jump through to make great sounding drum tracks. I wanna make BFD just as deep as it ever was, but more accessible, more user friendly, more modern, with next level features.

That sounds like a bunch of buzzwords, but that's the truth. The team are well up for seizing this by the horns and doing everything we wanted to do in the last 5 years when we were owned by ROLI.

We've got big plans. It's just taking some time to come to fruition.

Amberience wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:27 pm Oh we're definitely moving forward. I wish I could blather on for hours on here about all the stuff I want us to build, but I have to be a little circumspect about what I say.
Hello Amberience

I am very happy that BFD is alive, also with the free Horsepower expansion.

I proceeded with the migration but had some issues, the app run but the content was all messed up. So I uninstalled my original BFD3 and BFD2, the new 3.4 update, the content, I mean I removed everything. Then re-inatalled BFD 3.4 from scratch and this time it went very well, with just a couple of minor issues:

1. Whenever I open the standalone BFD 3.4 it offers an option to migrate, I click cancel and then another window pops up to remind me that I can do it later from the preferences menu option. By now I have nothing to migrate... Is it a way to prevent these annoying dialogs to pop up?

2. My old BFD2 license doesn't appear in the new License Manager. My interest in BFD2 is just the samples. I understand BFD2 is not supported anymore, but how can I get my old BFD2 samples working back in BFD3.4? These samples are the same included in the London Sessions expansion. Maybe a free copy of London Sessions for us BFD2 users?

3. I sent a support request using the new official channel regarding my point #2 above. It was more than 24hrs ago and haven't heard back, not even a confirmation or support ticket number. Can we expect a better customer support from the new BFD team than it used to be until now?

Thank you

Just as a data point -- I got up this afternoon to find the migration email. Account password was still borked, so I clicked on 'Forgot Password', got that email, reset, and was good to go. Figured out from a box halfway down the BFD product page that I could buy the upgrade from BFD Eco by adding the serial number as a coupon code on the last page in the cart. Worked fine. Total price was $54.11.

I'd suggest moving this promo to the top of the page and making it much more prominent throughout your new site. Upgrades should be a nice chunk of cash flow for awhile if you promote them more aggressively, I think. Assuming that y'all want to sell upgrades, of course. Certainly was a no-brainer for me, right inside my impulse purchase maximum. At least from posts I've seen while checking this out this week, a lot of people apparently put off upgrading while waiting to see if BFD was dead.

Installed the License Manager easily, though Win10 blocked part of the permissions it wanted, specifically the ability to communicate while in a public network. Which is a bad idea. I allowed it to communicate on my private network. Didn't bother to check whether it's wanting to talk through a port that isn't considered 'safe' by default. It made me load my browser to log in and give permission for the browser to communicate, presumably for authentication and info about my profile. That worked fine. But there is also a menu dropdown named User with 'Log In' and 'Log Out' lines. Which were greyed out until I logged in via browser. Whatever.

Registered the new BFD license. Then had to separately Authorize it. The registration is through a dropdown on the menu bar, the authorization is a separate button in the upper right corner of the window. Inconsistent, but more whatever.

There's a separate Download tab at the top left, but it's empty, so I'm not sure what the point of it is. When I click to highlight BFD in my very short list of authorized products, the unlabelled section at the bottom of the window lists a BFD Software Installer and BFD Content Installer. Neither tells me the size of the download, which I want them to fix. There also were supposedly three differently sized content downloads previously, from what I've read. It would be nice to have the choice to do a core install.

I'm on a crappy satellite connection in the forest, with a data cap, so won't be downloading a 50+ GB full content file until I get Starlink later this year.

But, so far, so good, I guess. Especially considering that we're only a couple of days into a rollout.

Return to “Instruments”