Ableton Live 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

Live 11?

Its great- one of my faveroute updates for many year, I love the MPE, the comping, the probability stuff in the sequencer, linked editing, follow actions, more macros, the and the new reverb and other instruments and packs were a bonus. On top of that I probably have a couple more years of free updates to come, so all in in well worth 150 bucks to me.

Take a look at the change log on the next update 11.05 (beta) - ton of good stuff in there as well, they have listed to the feedback from users after 11 was launched, that's always great to see :tu:

https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-11-beta/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

That’s a fair number of fixes/changes. 11 never felt finished by any means.

Seems to have become the norm ever since software has become primarily downloaded that what comes out on release day would barely have made it to Beta in the days of CD-ROM installers. It’s a blessing and a curse because although released products tended to be more stable we will now get more regular feature additions between major releases.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

jonljacobi wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:27 pm That’s a fair number of fixes/changes. 11 never felt finished by any means.
There is always room for improvement! (I’m not sure any DAW is finished or bug free). I feel quite confident in Ableton's progress in finding and publishing openly the improvements and bugs (and to be fair the bugs aren’t show stoppers) in an active and permanently ongoing beta forum...I didn’t personally notice any of the reported bugs, but I’m using the beta and it seems well optimised and with an improved UX and U I based on the initial ‘mass’ feedback.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:00 am
lpr wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:21 pm
andypryce wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:26 am
lpr wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:48 pm I mean FL Studio had both scale highlighting and comping for years now.
How do you do comping in FL? I thought it did not have it.
Loop recording button. Vocalists I worked with yesterday utilized it heavily in the same fashion we did in Live 11. Much simpler too.
That isn't comping as I know it, its just looping? FL Studio doesn't have real comping as far as I can tell (I have FL Producer)...its one of the most requested features for FL 21 on the FL forums...
Comping is normally where you just 'highlight' parts of multiple takes (no cutting) and the software automaticity tales all of the highlighted parts and makes a composite, fast and non destructive.

FL is a great pattern based editor which is great for midi and particularly drums (although even that a few too many windows and a little disconnected for my personal taste). Working with recording live audio in a linear way is still FL main weakness IMO...same with Maschine (which I tend to work with in preference to FL), its great for making and arranging patterns...but even though it 'can' do linear audio I would rather use a DAW that is built from the ground up for that task.
I agree with everything you said and I was wrong. I think I don't mesh with Ableton Live because I don't record enough audio into Live and stay more with VSTs inside the DAW. I wish Ableton Live would do an update on that piano roll and I'd probably switch back over. That's what really was killing me, it's so clunky coming from FL Studio.

lpr wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 am That's what really was killing me, it's so clunky coming from FL Studio.
And visa-versa! When I am using FL (I am on the 20.9 beta right now) I don't know my way around so well and many things seemed weird and counter intuitive at first (and still does for audio/mixing for me). I persevered and I know it a bit more now and it is amazingly good at somethings and worth the learning curve....as is Live ;-)

SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:47 pmI persevered and I know it a bit more now and it is amazingly good at somethings and worth the learning curve....
It is only worth the learning curve if your objective is to dabble around various DAWs playing with technology.

If you actually have a reason for the tool beyond just playing around with it, then better pick one DAW and get to the task at hand.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:50 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:47 pmI persevered and I know it a bit more now and it is amazingly good at somethings and worth the learning curve....
It is only worth the learning curve if your objective is to dabble around various DAWs playing with technology.

If you actually have a reason for the tool beyond just playing around with it, then better pick one DAW and get to the task at hand.
I have no tasks in hand...I like the tech, I like new stuff and I like learning...Elektron stuff was just as much of a pain initially (especially the file system!), but I feel worth it in the long run. The 'all plug in's' deal was too good to pass. I also have 500hp+ of Eurorack to dabble with, rarely results in anything useable but I have fun :wink:

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:50 pmIt is only worth the learning curve if your objective is to dabble around various DAWs playing with technology...
That's me! That's me!!! :wheee: :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:50 pm

+1

antic604 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:24 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:50 pmIt is only worth the learning curve if your objective is to dabble around various DAWs playing with technology...
:lol: I think we are kindred spirits! FL Studio all plug ins edition is a rabbit hole of gargantuan proportions (only in lock down!) but I got rid of Reason so this is sort of Reason but with a 'channel' rack to me :wink:

SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:55 pm
:lol: I think we are kindred spirits! FL Studio all plug ins edition is a rabbit hole of gargantuan proportions (only in lock down!) but I got rid of Reason so this is sort of Reason but with a 'channel' rack to me :wink:
I just got rid of both Live 11 Suite and Cubase Pro 11 (for good this time, I promise) and I'm looking for ways to spend the money :lol: FL looks good, especially those rumored v21 upgrades...
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:36 pmI just got rid of both Live 11 Suite and Cubase Pro 11 (for good this time, I promise)
I want in on the betting pool!!

antic604 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:36 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:55 pm
I just got rid of both Live 11 Suite and Cubase Pro 11 (for good this time, I promise) and I'm looking for ways to spend the money :lol: FL looks good, especially those rumored v21 upgrades...
Well, If you get FL Studio I can guarantee you will never sell it :wink: :D

Yes, 21 sounds like a pretty major re-work, I will just be glad if they drop all the italics :)
Joking aside its good they are heading to everything (DAW and plugs) being vector, a totally different resizable approach to Reason!

PS 20.9 beta has some very useful stuff (you can download and try it from the forum) and the demo is totally unlimited other than recalling your saves (until after registered). I used it for about 6 months until I was 'sure' I wanted it before going all in!

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:38 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:36 pmI just got rid of both Live 11 Suite and Cubase Pro 11 (for good this time, I promise)
I want in on the betting pool!!
Let's do it, but we should set some border conditions & a prize. Ideas?
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”