Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:52 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:44 pm Oh for christ sake - it sounds bloody fantastic - my favourite plugin synth since Alchemy by far.
I can totally understand that, especially as it's so immediate.

FWIW, I didn't complain about the general sound, I think Pigments sounds good. It's just that the filters are a bit your "average Joe's", so to say. For example, on the Mini filter, the resonance appears a bit as if it was disconnected from the sound (doesn't attenuate the oscillators in some cases, but rather appears like a separate sound). And, on the default multimode filter, the sound almost completely disappears, ahen you crank up the resonance, and it also doesn't sound very good with high resonance. Does that matter much? In most cases it doesn't, I'd say. It's just that I'm a sucker for great filters. Maybe even a snob in that regard. ;)
Fair enough, but how many plugins of this type also have a Buchla style LPG (which is great) plus some other more interesting filters - tbh not so excited about the standard filter types but what is great is how many different flavours it has (which again is why I question these generalisations about 'plasticky' sound).

When I think of the hundreds of patches I've done for the dozens of synths I own that don't even use a filter I can't help but think that KVR in general puts way too much emphasis on filters which are just one element of synthesis.

You could literally never use a filter in Pigments and still make a ton of great presets for it....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Designer emptyvessel is a beast.OMG!! Nice work :tu:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:01 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:52 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:44 pm Oh for christ sake - it sounds bloody fantastic - my favourite plugin synth since Alchemy by far.
I can totally understand that, especially as it's so immediate.

FWIW, I didn't complain about the general sound, I think Pigments sounds good. It's just that the filters are a bit your "average Joe's", so to say. For example, on the Mini filter, the resonance appears a bit as if it was disconnected from the sound (doesn't attenuate the oscillators in some cases, but rather appears like a separate sound). And, on the default multimode filter, the sound almost completely disappears, ahen you crank up the resonance, and it also doesn't sound very good with high resonance. Does that matter much? In most cases it doesn't, I'd say. It's just that I'm a sucker for great filters. Maybe even a snob in that regard. ;)
Fair enough, but how many plugins of this type also have a Buchla style LPG (which is great) plus some other more interesting filters - tbh not so excited about the standard filter types but what is great is how many different flavours it has (which again is why I question these generalisations about 'plasticky' sound).
I really don't see why bother that much with subjective opinions. I'm no developer, so I can't use technically accurate terms for what I'm hearing... And yet, I'm hearing it. So, that's what I'be using.
It sounds plasticky. It always sounds as it was in the background, never upfront. It sounds flat.
But that's all I'be saying regarding the sound, in respect to these who love Arturia and are following this thread. Please, carry on.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arashi wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:30 pm There must be more than three people simultaneously downloading stuff from Arturia, because the ASC app is just timing out as usual. Wish they would invest in a proper CDN solution instead of running their own server in a closet.
It's well known that Arturia's entire server infrastructure is run by an employees cousin who really needed a job, and all off of his Mac Mini which he keeps in the basement next to his bedroom.

How does pigments 3 sound compared to Diva's analog style sound? Is it too digital or is it comparable to Diva?

3ptguitarist wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:21 pm How does pigments 3 sound compared to Diva's analog style sound? Is it too digital or is it comparable to Diva?
Imho they simply can’t be compared easily. Diva is all warmth, retro vibe, analog style (not my style btw), Pigments 3 for me lacks warmth (some pads are charming though) alongside to Diva but can produce unheard before sounds. I’d say Pigments is a more digital beast indeed, even if you can easily make what you want of it. But the presets quickly show you what the synths can make. Very different products at last.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

The formant filter tells me they're working on a k5000 emu.

3ptguitarist wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:21 pm How does pigments 3 sound compared to Diva's analog style sound? Is it too digital or is it comparable to Diva?
Or better yet, maybe compare it to Zebra 2. We could all use a new Zebra 2 thread to chew on... :wink:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

functionform wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:31 pm The formant filter tells me they're working on a k5000 emu.
Makes sense with the new additive synthesis oscillator

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I haven't even checked to see if the VA oscillators still sound like garbage because I've been having fun with the additive harmonics oscillator thingie. Great update! I will actually be using this synth now!

Still hoping they updated the VA engine.

Teksonik wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:08 pm When I think of the hundreds of patches I've done for the dozens of synths I own that don't even use a filter I can't help but think that KVR in general puts way too much emphasis on filters which are just one element of synthesis.

You could literally never use a filter in Pigments and still make a ton of great presets for it....
This is very very very true. Judging by some of the threads I think some people spent 2 minutes testing the filter of a new plugin and then they're done, lol.

"Filter not quite as good as repro, therefore it's unusable."

Later on in a different thread...

"Repro is great but I don't use it too often because of the cpu hit"

One thing that surprises me in Pigments 3 is that they selected absolutely mindblowing presets that show how powerful and in some way ”game changing” the synth can be, and they also kept cheap presets that show how low you can go with it. Weird first impression...
I’m still happy with it at last, a lot of good patches to start with.
And a $0 upgrade is unexpected, more than glad that they did !
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Everytime I hear someone say something rather negative about a synth, I ask myself, do they even know how to produce the sound they want?
Diva, can sound big ,analog,or digital,thin, same thing here with Pigments 1,2,3 etc.. whatever the f**k u make it sound like.. Lost on how these arguments keep coming up.. How's your room, hows your hearing, monitors,converters? This synths sounds as GREAT or as boring as you can make it sound.

Great work Arturia! :tu:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Return to “Instruments”