Reason high-res beta starts soon!!!

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRian
835 posts since 27 Apr, 2005

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:18 am

Would you really want one rack width to be full screen? On a 26” monitor? As I said we are dealing with opinion and preference at this point. For reference, I intensely dislike a vst that blows up to full screen. All my Arturia plugs for example I switch to 60 percent scaling on my 27 inch monitor. If it was a physical synth, you wouldn’t jam your nose right up to the rack to twiddle some knobs.

KVRAF
7000 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:26 am

Scaling gives everyone what they want doesn't it?
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8309 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:29 am

SLiC wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:26 am
Scaling gives everyone what they want doesn't it?
OS-independent scaling, yes.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRian
835 posts since 27 Apr, 2005

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:34 am

In my case, what I want is f@&#$king track folders, so no. :D

Like I said before, I get it, this is a highly requested feature. The only reason I put my opinion in here is that a person here was acting like we weren’t talking about subjective preference. And when it rolls out, the daw stays at the perspective it is today on my 27” 1080p display.

User avatar
KVRAF
1698 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:49 am

ShawnG wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:18 am
Would you really want one rack width to be full screen? On a 26” monitor?
Using HD 4k+ assets and crystal clear text? YES. YES I WOULD. :lol: At least as an option while I'm working on a device and programming it. As explained earlier, this is exactly how the Reason rack appeared on most screens back in 2000-2001.
Win 10 | Reason 11 | Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1

KVRian
835 posts since 27 Apr, 2005

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:56 am

Sure, but screens were 4:3 aspect ratio, and the size of modern laptop screens then.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8309 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:02 am

ShawnG wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:56 am
Sure, but screens were 4:3 aspect ratio, and the size of modern laptop screens then.
People work nowadays on 13-15'' laptops with 3:2 aspect ratios, too :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
3206 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:25 am

ShawnG wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 pm
And there's been multiple people arguing with you that you are exaggerating, and here I am doing it too. I use a 27 inch monitor next to a 23 inch monitor in portrait mode (1080p on both) with reason, and my 48 year old eyes that have needed correction since I was ten have zero issues with the scale as it stands. On either monitor. Sure, it does look small next to more recent VST's that insist on taking up the whole screen, but whether that is desirable or not is subjective, (i.e. I make those plugs smaller when I can) which you are trying to erroneously paint as objective truth. To be honest, when using the Reason DAW, I won't change the scaling at all when it releases, I might enlarge the plugin version a tad, (if we can without changing the scaling of my other hosts) but that's it. There's a LOT of other things I would prefer to be fixed or added prior to this, but I do understand that there are laptop users with small 1080p screens, and Apple users that have had their monitor resolution decisions made for them by Apple that need some help here. I get it. doesn't make your exaggeration, followed by you running down anyone who dares to disagree with your opinion any more valid.
You lost your own argument right there in bold.
Seriously, people on KVR sometimes..

Let's be clear here, I never said there aren't people who don't like small GUI's. I simply stated the obvious. that the industry was going in the opposite direction, and Reason is behind here, because IMO the current size of Reasons GUI was designed before 1080p even. Apparently to traditionalists everywhere this is heresy.

KVRian
835 posts since 27 Apr, 2005

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:28 am

antic604 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:02 am
ShawnG wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:56 am
Sure, but screens were 4:3 aspect ratio, and the size of modern laptop screens then.
People work nowadays on 13-15'' laptops with 3:2 aspect ratios, too :)
Absolutely. my only beef is with the strident assertion that Reason is somehow completely unuseable on a large 1080 monitor. It isn’t, preferences notwithstanding. Laptop users and Apple retina owners absolutely need this update.

I am puzzled personally why someone would want a single rack width to take up full screen on a big monitor, but that’s my opinion and preference. I don’t like a single skeuomorphic uid taking up all the workspace, and with other scalable plugins I make sure they don’t.

KVRAF
28120 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:30 am

machinesworking wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:25 am
ShawnG wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 pm
And there's been multiple people arguing with you that you are exaggerating, and here I am doing it too. I use a 27 inch monitor next to a 23 inch monitor in portrait mode (1080p on both) with reason, and my 48 year old eyes that have needed correction since I was ten have zero issues with the scale as it stands. On either monitor. Sure, it does look small next to more recent VST's that insist on taking up the whole screen, but whether that is desirable or not is subjective, (i.e. I make those plugs smaller when I can) which you are trying to erroneously paint as objective truth. To be honest, when using the Reason DAW, I won't change the scaling at all when it releases, I might enlarge the plugin version a tad, (if we can without changing the scaling of my other hosts) but that's it. There's a LOT of other things I would prefer to be fixed or added prior to this, but I do understand that there are laptop users with small 1080p screens, and Apple users that have had their monitor resolution decisions made for them by Apple that need some help here. I get it. doesn't make your exaggeration, followed by you running down anyone who dares to disagree with your opinion any more valid.
You lost your own argument right there in bold.
Seriously, people on KVR sometimes..

Let's be clear here, I never said there aren't people who don't like small GUI's. I simply stated the obvious. that the industry was going in the opposite direction, and Reason is behind here, because IMO the current size of Reasons GUI was designed before 1080p even. Apparently to traditionalists everywhere this is heresy.
That reply shows me that you don't really understand the point. "I never said there aren't people who don't like small GUI's" - I can't remember anyone here saying "Hey, I love small GUI's! Make it as small as possible, developers!". The point is that I wonder how you can consider Reason too small on a 27" 1080p display. It isn't even "too small" on a 24.5" 1080p display here.

"It's not too small" and "I love small GUI's" are totally different things, you know. One is a necessity (to cope with stuff which isn't resizable, or doesn't scale), the other a deliberate choice.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
835 posts since 27 Apr, 2005

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:32 am

machinesworking wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:25 am
You lost your own argument right there in bold.
Seriously, people on KVR sometimes..

Let's be clear here, I never said there aren't people who don't like small GUI's. I simply stated the obvious. that the industry was going in the opposite direction, and Reason is behind here, because IMO the current size of Reasons GUI was designed before 1080p even. Apparently to traditionalists everywhere this is heresy.
The goalposts are moving! Lol

User avatar
KVRAF
3206 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:36 am

ShawnG wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:28 am
my only beef is with the strident assertion that Reason is somehow completely unuseable on a large 1080 monitor. It isn’t, preferences notwithstanding. Laptop users and Apple retina owners absolutely need this update.
Christ? no one said it was unusable, why straw man? Everyone has said it's out of date, and it's small. That seems to be reason enough to throw out ad hominem nonsense...
I am puzzled personally why someone would want a single rack width to take up full screen on a big monitor, but that’s my opinion and preference. I don’t like a single skeuomorphic uid taking up all the workspace, and with other scalable plugins I make sure they don’t.
Touch screens for one. That's a Microsoft thing, but I get the impression it's implemented terribly because none of you use it. I have a Raven here, so I get the touch interface on a Mac. It's great, I use it all the time with plug ins that scale.

KVRAF
20705 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:40 am

machinesworking wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:25 am
Apparently to traditionalists everywhere this is heresy.
So now we have started putting stuff into other people's mouth they never said, do we?
You lost the argument when youi reached that point! ;-)

All I said is that I am convinced that you either have a weak eye-sight (without being aware of it and adequateky compensating for it) or are dramatically exaggerating things when you claim that Reason was "tiny" on a 27" screen @1920x1080
(or, of course, you are so far away from you screen that you need to blow things up so much that your screen-estate is basically the same as if you would have a 13" laptop right in front of you.)

KVRAF
20705 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:43 am

machinesworking wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:36 am
Touch screens for one.
lol...

Reason does not even currently support multi-touch...

User avatar
KVRAF
3206 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:47 am

chk071 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:30 am
That reply shows me that you don't really understand the point. "I never said there aren't people who don't like small GUI's" - I can't remember anyone here saying "Hey, I love small GUI's! Make it as small as possible, developers!". The point is that I wonder how you can consider Reason too small on a 27" 1080p display. It isn't even "too small" on a 24.5" 1080p display here.
This is a crazy comeback. I wish you could understand, probably in person I could explain, but you're literally trying to come up with reasons why someone wants scalable GUIs when the entire industry is changing to larger scalable GUIs. You're also asking why someone would want a small GUI to be larger, and using your own feelings on it. I think it looks small and take more precision to use compared to any other DAW or plug in on my system, but apparently that means I need glasses. (I don't)
"It's not too small" and "I love small GUI's" are totally different things, you know. One is a necessity (to cope with stuff which isn't resizable, or doesn't scale), the other a deliberate choice.
This again isn't really relevant, I've never questioned why you want small GUI's, it simply isn't what we've been talking about. You on the other hand have questioned the reason why other people want larger GUI's even going as far as questioning their eyesight, but somehow me flatly stating you're wrong, it's changing anyway, there's nothing to argue about, is a much worse offense than ad hominem and speculation to defend your point...

I really wish people could figure this out, it would save a lot of time in debates if we didn't need to clarify constantly that my opinion isn't wrong because it's not your opinion. You can like small GUI's, you can also resize them larger and still be OK with the way Reason is now, but you can't assume that everyone is blind, has a retina MacBook, or isn't doing it properly when they decry Reasons lack of scalable GUI. I mean you can, but it's a pointless debate really.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”