Reason high-res beta starts soon!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:40 pm
machinesworking wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:25 pm Apparently to traditionalists everywhere this is heresy.
So now we have started putting stuff into other people's mouth they never said, do we?
You lost the argument when youi reached that point! ;-)

All I said is that I am convinced that you either have a weak eye-sight (without being aware of it and adequateky compensating for it) or are dramatically exaggerating things when you claim that Reason was "tiny" on a 27" screen @1920x1080
(or, of course, you are so far away from you screen that you need to blow things up so much that your screen-estate is basically the same as if you would have a 13" laptop right in front of you.)
I like how you attempt to say I'm straw man losing while going ad hominum and straw man at the same time.

I'll say it flatly, I never pointed out any individual here, and it's plainly obvious to anyone whose ever requested or questioned any DAW or plug in ever on any forum that there are people who will get offended and argue against whatever improvement or new feature you ask for.

You on the other hand, again made a straw man argument suggesting that I have bad eyesite because I want a larger GUI in Reason.

Reason is tiny on a 1080p 27" screen compared to other DAWs and plug ins, period. There's nothing to argue about there, but you be you.

No, I am all for improvements like these - I never said I was against them (while personally I don't care much about them I think they're probably necessary, even if only to make Reason future-proof) - all I took objection to was your wild claims. ;-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:53 pm Reason is tiny on a 1080p 27" screen compared to other DAWs and plug ins, period.
And even tinier on two 26" 1080p screens! :lol:
jens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:59 pm all I took objection to was your wild claims. ;-)
It's so wild that Reason Studios are totally not addressing it in an current beta. :P

#devilsadvocate
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ShawnG wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:18 pm Would you really want one rack width to be full screen? On a 26” monitor? As I said we are dealing with opinion and preference at this point. For reference, I intensely dislike a vst that blows up to full screen. All my Arturia plugs for example I switch to 60 percent scaling on my 27 inch monitor. If it was a physical synth, you wouldn’t jam your nose right up to the rack to twiddle some knobs.
I'd love one device to go full width of my 24" , for when I'm spending any more than a few minutes on something in-depth like Complex-1 or Kron.

Otherwise, I'd like to default to 2 device/rack columns wide, which is prefect for fast tweaking and cabling.

But then I'd want the option to zoom out to 3 or even 4 wide, for a big project overview and fast cabling across the rack.

Currently what I see is 2.5 devices wide.

The rack and mixer being independently scaleable from the sequencer would be the best solution for most, but that’s not on offer apparently. It would probably be a nightmare to develop.

Anybody that had the reason/record combo back in the day, I seem to remember that Record had a slightly higher scale for the rack than standalone Reason did at the time, but I might be misremembering.

ShawnG wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 pm Anybody that had the reason/record combo back in the day, I seem to remember that Record had a slightly higher scale for the rack than standalone Reason did at the time, but I might be misremembering.
You’re misremembering. When you opened Reason 5 in Record, it literally looked identical to Reason 6 when Record was deprecated as a standalone product.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jens wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:59 pm No, I am all for improvements like these - I never said I was against them (while personally I don't care much about them I think they're probably necessary, even if only to make Reason future-proof) - all I took objection to was your wild claims. ;-)
Therein lies the rub, there’s no wild claim to be had. Reason is tiny compared to other DAWs and modern plug ins, a knob being mouse pointer wide on a 1080p 27” screen is tiny. The whole argument against that is just weird. You might like it at that size for sure, but to deny it and question people’s eyesight is again, strange?

I’m getting the impression you and others are interpreting that as unusable, which I at least never said. :shrug:

ShawnG wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 pm Anybody that had the reason/record combo back in the day, I seem to remember that Record had a slightly higher scale for the rack than standalone Reason did at the time, but I might be misremembering.

Up to Reason 5 it was just one rack only that was scrolled up and down. Big mixer, multiple racks and silly wood panels that were introduced in Record, gave false idea that rack is bigger and wider.
I preferred the old aesthetics as it was clean and simple.

What means High resolution for the CPU?
Is the classic look in R12 still possible?
Any other intresting news on R12?

Hpwenzel wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:20 amWhat means High resolution for the CPU?
More CPU available for audio, due to GUI being offloaded to GPU.

Hpwenzel wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:20 amIs the classic look in R12 still possible?
It still looks the same, just sharper especially if you zoom it in.

Hpwenzel wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:20 amAny other intresting news on R12?
Nothing that we haven't heard in Reason+ announcement: "new devices, workflow improvements"
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I really hope they come around actually improving the core functionailty this time around...
not a lot in there in V11.

The biggies for me personally would be:

1) some way to be able to save project versions without having to duplicate all the audio files - with (say) a file-size of 1.5gb that's just absurd if one wants to simply save an alternative mix - I'd say that's easily one of the biggest drawbacks in the entire history of computer-assisted music production. :-o :shock: :lol:

2) treat MIDI and audio tracks more alike: take-recording for MIDI, lanes for audio.

3) slip-editing

4) probably some more stuff I don't remember right now

I love Reason and find it really inspiring and easy to use, but the core application needs some love.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

MLR wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:02 am Up to Reason 5 it was just one rack only that was scrolled up and down. Big mixer, multiple racks and silly wood panels that were introduced in Record, gave false idea that rack is bigger and wider.
I preferred the old aesthetics as it was clean and simple.
It wasn’t a false idea - you could literally expand your racks horizontally in Record + Reason 5 for the first time, which indeed made them wider. Bigger would be subjective depending on how you took advantage of the new horizontal organization, IMHO. The wood side panels were there in Reason 1-5, so no sillier than the versions you look back on affectionately?

On an aside, I find it interesting that Reason Rack Plug-in went back to that single vertical rack. They still kept the wood side panels though. :lol:

antic604 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:39 am It still looks the same, just sharper especially if you zoom it in.
Oh that is nice,

EnochLight wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:22 am
It wasn’t a false idea - you could literally expand your racks horizontally in Record + Reason 5 for the first time, which indeed made them wider. Bigger would be subjective depending on how you took advantage of the new horizontal organization, IMHO. The wood side panels were there in Reason 1-5, so no sillier than the versions you look back on affectionately?

You are right that it was wider. What I meant is that this could give idea that devices themselves were bigger.

There was no wood until Record. Rack was filling whole screen when I used it on my 800x600 old monitor. On one side there was a scroll bar and that's it. I loved it :D

Here is screen shot of Reason 5 from SOS:
Reason_01-Vm2d47EjHA7rDdpEis7hp7.N0xDBe_7W.jpg
EnochLight wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:22 am On an aside, I find it interesting that Reason Rack Plug-in went back to that single vertical rack. They still kept the wood side panels though. :lol:
I like that in RRP they went back to the old ways and there is only one rack that just scrolls up/down. The only thing I miss in RRP is Remote implementation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jesus!!! I think that being able to have several vertical rack is really crucial in Reason...

I usually have three:

1) sends/master/busses
2) audio-tracks
3) instruments

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”