Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The "pay my PayPal fee but I'm not going to tell you how much" thing is my biggest buy/sell pet peeve. AFAIK there is no way to know exactly what the fee will be so I always end up asking how much they want and just sending that.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Greenstorm33 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:08 pm The "pay my PayPal fee but I'm not going to tell you how much" thing is my biggest buy/sell pet peeve. AFAIK there is no way to know exactly what the fee will be so I always end up asking how much they want and just sending that.
I just look up what the Paypal fee formula is, calculate it and the new total, and include my calculation in the PM offer to buy.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees
click on Commercial transaction rates
currently 2.9% + fixed fee depending on currency
click on "fixed fee" to see listing by currency

Total = price*1.029+fixed fee

[Edit: problem with including Paypal fees in the listing is that fees could change.]
Last edited by Ou_Tis on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The PayPal fee is a seller's fee. No need to think about it as a buyer. The seller should calculate it in his asking price, if anything.

I will never ask for it. Prices are all included here.

I simply do not buy stuff when I shall pay Paypal fees. Quite simple.
Most of the offers in Sell & Buy are ridicously overpriced.
Nothing is so important that I can't wait for the next Black Friday...

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:32 pm Most of the offers in Sell & Buy are ridicously overpriced.
Unfortunately true. Same with Ebay or Ebay Classifieds. Back in the days, you weren't able to charge more than 50 or 60 % of the new price. Nowadays, obviously, people buy at 70 or 80 %, or even more.

At the same time, you get offers to sell the item for 20 % of the new price. Dunno what happened there, but, it's just not the same as it was some years ago.

The last few times I sold here, the deals were great though. No haggling, or anything. The buyer just bought for the (IMO fair) price, and that was it. Like it should be.

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:34 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:32 pm Most of the offers in Sell & Buy are ridicously overpriced.
Unfortunately true. Same with Ebay or Ebay Classifieds. Back in the days, you weren't able to charge more than 50 or 60 % of the new price. Nowadays, obviously, people buy at 70 or 80 %, or even more.

At the same time, you get offers to sell the item for 20 % of the new price. Dunno what happened there, but, it's just not the same as it was some years ago.

The last few times I sold here, the deals were great though. No haggling, or anything. The buyer just bought for the (IMO fair) price, and that was it. Like it should be.
If you check Feedback thread which deals really happen you'll notice that a lot of offers do not find buyers. They are bumped regularly but nobody bites. Strange times. If you want to sell, you have to be cheap. And even then it's currently difficult to sell. There's no longer a lot of money in people's pocket. Well, no surprise...

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:39 pm

If you check Feedback thread which deals really happen you'll notice that a lot of offers do not find buyers. They are bumped regularly but nobody bites. Strange times. If you want to sell, you have to be cheap. And even then it's currently difficult to sell. There's no longer a lot of money in people's pocket. Well, no surprise...
I have a different theory: The used market is saturated, because people can afford, and mostly buy new.

I remember times where people were like mad after some of the used stuff I offered here. Nowadays, I can be happy when I sell a plugin which I bought for 169 € for 40 € here...

Even u-he's plugins, which usually sold like hot cakes are often bumped 10 times before they're actually sold. Well, the NI sales might have contributed to that. I'm sure most bought the plugins they had an eye on on that occasion, so there's not much interest on the used market anymore.

Really, if anything, I notice a certain abundance.

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:45 pm

I have a different theory: The used market is saturated, because people can afford, and mostly buy new.

I remember times where people were like mad after some of the used stuff I offered here. Nowadays, I can be happy when I sell a plugin which I bought for 169 € for 40 € here...

Even u-he's plugins, which usually sold like hot cakes are often bumped 10 times before they're actually sold. Well, the NI sales might have contributed to that. I'm sure most bought the plugins they had an eye on on that occasion, so there's not much interest on the used market anymore.

so true .
time for me to leave KVR.Bye bye ! 03/2022 :phones:

Ou_Tis wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:35 pm
Greenstorm33 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:08 pm The "pay my PayPal fee but I'm not going to tell you how much" thing is my biggest buy/sell pet peeve. AFAIK there is no way to know exactly what the fee will be so I always end up asking how much they want and just sending that.
I just look up what the Paypal fee formula is, calculate it and the new total, and include my calculation in the PM offer to buy.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees
click on Commercial transaction rates
currently 2.9% + fixed fee depending on currency
click on "fixed fee" to see listing by currency

Total = price*1.029+fixed fee

[Edit: problem with including Paypal fees in the listing is that fees could change.]
I've tried to do this before and ended up being informed by the seller that I didn't send enough. Something to do with currency conversion probably. Regardless, I shouldn't have to dig through Paypal's current fee info to figure out how to absorb a fee that's not even supposed to be paid by me.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

jonalyn wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:57 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:45 pm

so true .
yeah that is how I see it. I try and sell at less than 50% or less than sale pricing. and not trying to make a profit but still wanting to cover fees so I dont make an actual loss. And also sellers can just make a mistake with the pricing as sometimes sales are so ridiculous now - eg look at the giveaways on pluginboutique - that it is impossible to figure out a realistic price if one missed that particular deal. Also there is a point with pricing where one might as well keep the thing even if you dont want it - my time is worth more than a couple of bucks to me, I'm not going to sell something if the actual return is only going to be a couple of dollars.
The market is flooded, the buyers are cautious.

^^^
Yes, right, a lot has changed in this market during the course of some years.

Am I crazy, or was there recently (perhaps now ended) a 50% off sale on all Neural DSP amp sims? I could have sworn I saw a notice to that effect here on KVR, but after searching high and low I can't find it any more.

Does anyone know how to get alerts when a VST goes on sale? What would be the best way to track this?

bharris22 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:55 am Am I crazy, or was there recently (perhaps now ended) a 50% off sale on all Neural DSP amp sims? I could have sworn I saw a notice to that effect here on KVR, but after searching high and low I can't find it any more.
Yes there was; it ended a few days ago.

lpr wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:28 am Does anyone know how to get alerts when a VST goes on sale? What would be the best way to track this?
There is a "Sign up for price alerts" button on our product pages. For example, if you sign up at the following link, you'll get an email on Tuesday when it goes on sale:

https://www.jrrshop.com/ik-multimedia-432

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”