Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

penfever wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:30 am I'm more a lurker than a poster, but I'm hoping someone at Softube reads this.

I'll be honest, I was super disappointed when I received the email from Softube about this synth. In the past, they have made some really interesting choices with their emulations -- Mutronics Mutator, OTO Biscuit come to mind. I loved their Buchla modules for their modular. And now we get ...

ANOTHER FREAKING JUNO?

We have Roland's Juno. We have Arturia's Juno. We have Diva. Cherry Audio. TAL. Syntronik. UVI. Plus about a thousand other synths that kinda sorta want to be a Juno.

VST devs, please, please, PLEASE ... get off the bandwagon. It is so very far PAST being full. No more Juno whatever, no more Jupiters (unless it's a Jup-6, which STILL hasn't been emulated well by ANYONE, which shows you how narrow-minded all of this is). No more Obies either. JUST STOP. IT IS DEAD. THE HORSE IS DEAD. STOP. BEATING. THE. HORSE.

How about a Korg Poly-800? A Microwave? A K5000?

Or if you must do a classic VA, how about a Memorymoog or a CS80? No one has even TOUCHED the true potential of the Memorymoog in an emulation. Or something like the Sonic Core synths, or a Hartmann Neuron -- how great would THAT be with a touchscreen?

There's a world of cool vintage (and modern!) hardware synths. No one needs to play that Duran Duran riff on yet another copycat.
This. Incidentally Full Bucket Music did a Poly-800 (FURY-800) ;) Funny to find someone who's been on this board as long as I have with fewer posts.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:04 am
rezoneight wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:57 am This. Incidentally Full Bucket Music did a Poly-800 (FURY-800) ;) Funny to find someone who's been on this board as long as I have with fewer posts.
It almost certainly wasn't accurate. Has anyone contemporary done the DW8000?
Sounded pretty close to me. Close enough.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

penfever wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:30 am.

How about a Korg Poly-800?
https://www.kvraudio.com/news/synapse_a ... _850_13824

rezoneight wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:57 amThis. Incidentally Full Bucket Music did a Poly-800 (FURY-800) ;) Funny to find someone who's been on this board as long as I have with fewer posts.
Yes, you should both be ashamed. I had both a Poly800 and an EX800 and, honestly, nothing would make me download an emulation of that thing. The world has moved on, we don't need stuff like that (or this Juno thing) any more, thank Dog!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:58 am There is nothing that even comes close to any sound I could use
rinse and repeat

The Softube emulation reminded me quite a bit of some well-known sounds from Astral Projection. I'm not really a Goa-Trance expert and it's not my genre but I tried it anyway :D
Quite short and not mixed (it's just a test) with 5x Model 84, but the bass is from Repro-1.

Model 84 - Goa

... and a screenshot
2021-04-23 14_38_56-Cubase Pro-Projekt - Model 84 Test.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 4damind on Mon May 03, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

4damind wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:46 pm The Softube emulation reminded me quite a bit of some well-known sounds from Astral Projection. I'm not really a Goa-Trance expert and it's not my genre but I tried it anyway :D
Quite short and not mixed (it's just a test) with 5x Model 84, but the bass is from Repro-1.

Model 84 - Goa

... and a screenshot
2021-04-23 14_38_56-Cubase Pro-Projekt - Model 84 Test.jpg
Very nice! AP was a great Goa act.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:05 am
rezoneight wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:11 am
ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:04 am
rezoneight wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:57 am This. Incidentally Full Bucket Music did a Poly-800 (FURY-800) ;) Funny to find someone who's been on this board as long as I have with fewer posts.
It almost certainly wasn't accurate. Has anyone contemporary done the DW8000?
Sounded pretty close to me. Close enough.
I'm just picky. I do like the filter, but I never was much of a fan of the Poly800. I can see that it has charm though and it did get used in a lot of early techno because it was cheap.
Yeah I'm sure its not 100% but so far nothing else is either ;) I just liked the nostalgia. Poly 800 was the first synth I ever had the chance to actually play around with when I was a kid. Have considered buying one over the years and always passed because its a cheap PoS for the most part ;)

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:58 am Yeah, an album of lift muzak. The range is so narrow, even after listening to the 5 minutes of sound demos at the end of the video. There is nothing that even comes close to any sound I could use, it's like a rundown of all the worst aspects of 70s and 80s music (which, I suppose, sums up what Jamiroquai is all about).
Jamiroquai is not lift music. I like their music.
And I like the 70's and 80's, it was my time.
You live on another planet musically speaking.

The range of that synth is pretty amazing given its simplicity.
That synth sounds clean though, which might explain why you don't like it :hihi:

It's amazing to me how much time some people spend posting about synths they claim to have no interest in [due to the simplicity]. Do you think they're getting paid off by these companies? "Hey Bonesy...we'll give you a bunch of NFR's if you drive engagement on KVR by talking about how stupid we are for releasing such a simple synth or whatever. Gets the post count way up and more eyeballs on the ads!"

Otherwise, it'll never make any sense why someone would bother. It's like constantly calling your ex to say you're over them and don't care anymore. Uh...no, if you REALLY didn't care, you wouldn't be engaging.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:41 pm Bones just likes the sound of his own voice. To be clear, I'm no stranger to that myself, so I'm not really judging as much as it might seem like I am.
I honestly only call it out because of how much time he spends calling other people idiots. Maybe that last suspension has toned that down some and if so that'd be great! I don't even see his posts unless someone quotes him, but because of the nature of his posts, that tends to happen a lot.

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:03 am
BONES wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:55 am Honestly, if U-He or Synapse or anyone else put all their best components into a synth with this feature-set, no-one would pay for it
Very interesting observation.
Isn't this basically why we have Tyrell N6, the Poor Man's Juno?

Return to “Instruments”