Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Thanks for the report :) 2.3.1 release is coming sooner than expected then.

In Cubase the VST2 version works now completely as expected. VST3 still has no access to the presets in the dropdown list. But as the VST2 version does everything fine I have no problem with that.

Thanks for the report. VST3 has always had such issue. We hope JUCE team can do a better plugin wrapper someday.

Hello.
Thank you great synth.
Just a note as old-school PC user: I hate when installer doesn't ask for file destination installing stuff in multiple unknown places, not even informing about that. For instance I've never install applications nor vst plugins on my system partition. I think it would be beneficial to have a choice where to install standalone and plugins.

BTW is there a hot-key change current preset to next one? Using context menu is one of the least comfortable ways to do it.

with regards

maxym.srpl wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:10 am Hello.
Thank you great synth.
Just a note as old-school PC user: I hate when installer doesn't ask for file destination installing stuff in multiple unknown places
Dont you wish installing ALL plugins was as simple as dropping a DLL file in a vst folder? KISS, baby. and with so much competition i devs should follow
in full bucket's footsteps and port synths to work in older OS's for those that
still like using a vintage OS like WINXP as well as vintage HW synths. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I've spent the better part of a month getting everything reinstalled on a fresh Win10 install. It's quite a chore. The irony is, iLok stuff isn't so bad anymore since they got rid of the physical iLok. The plugins that give me the most trouble require remembering old passwords, getting downloads I may not have access to anymore, etc.

maxym.srpl wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:10 am Hello.
Thank you great synth.
Just a note as old-school PC user: I hate when installer doesn't ask for file destination installing stuff in multiple unknown places, not even informing about that. For instance I've never install applications nor vst plugins on my system partition. I think it would be beneficial to have a choice where to install standalone and plugins.

BTW is there a hot-key change current preset to next one? Using context menu is one of the least comfortable ways to do it.

with regards
Files are placed to the general AAX/VST/VST3 folders and Documents > discoDSP > OB-Xd only.

Presets can be changed via + / - in hosts where it's supported.

A preset navigator bar is set for the next update.

discoDSP wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:14 am Files are placed to the general AAX/VST/VST3 folders and Documents > discoDSP > OB-Xd only.
And who has decided what "general" folders mean? Is it something established?
From my and many others POV, installing anything like that into system partition is bad practice.
Likely this is the reason why most plugin installers gives the choice to change the location.

In my Windows installation and installer for 64bit vst I found files in:

VST3 is located in
c:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\

VST2
- asks for location (yeah!), offering Stainberg something as default. I didn't know about that 'cause I installed VST3 at beginning only.

In addition to that, executable and uninstaller in:
c:\Program Files\discoDSP\

TBH I donsn't care much, 'cause I can copy those dlls wherever I want.
But would be nice to give user a choice. Especially while current installer actually does it for VST2.
discoDSP wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:14 am Presets can be changed via + / - in hosts where it's supported.
Thank you. In case of executable version run under Win10, it stops working if you click on window bar (this one with "Settings" button). To re-enable it you have to click inside the window.

Steinberg has established the default VST3 folder and this is to be abided by. Some DAWs won't find your VST3s if you place things elsewhere (FL20 most prominently) as they don't allow custom VST3 folder paths.

What you could do (and should, if you want to have your VST3s elsewhere, AND in order to not make plugin update installers confused), is move the VST3 folder from Program Files\Common Files\VST3, to your preferred location, and then create a symlink to that new location in place of the old VST3 folder.

You should never EVER move a VST3 plugin manually. This will screw up the plugin update installers badly.

"installing anything like that into system partition is bad practice"
purely a hangover from the days of mechanical drives. If you have a mechanical drive, absolutely do not. It doesn't mean anything to an NVME SSD.

and heed the advice on moving the thing, make a symbolic link first.

it has nothing to do with mechanical vs ssd hard disk. It's about risk of lost your plugins /presets in case of need of reinstalling operation system from scratch.

In fact it's good habit to have operating systems seoarated from user software and user data. The fact Windows by default mixes this stuff all together makes users believe that's ok.
You should never EVER move a VST3 plugin manually. This will screw up the plugin update installers badly.
This is why I'm asking for installer option to manage custom path
I would't say it will screw it up. it will update files in original location.

making symbolic links, or even making changes to registry in order to change default location of vst/vst3 directories is valid workaround.
However it's still considered non user friendly enough or uncommon for general users. This is why most installers rather offer option to chose the path.

Thank you for all your ideas and attempts to help me. I know all available options. I'm just asking for the installer feature which is missing comparing to standards found in most software as well as making the installer consistent in that matter.
DiscoDSP may implement it or may not up to his choice.

"General users" aren't the ones who are changing VST paths, so they don't need this option nor a symlink workaround. Tinkerer/tweaker/intermediate-to-advanced computer users are the ones messing with stuff like this. In our experience with Surge so far, those users have nothing against making a symlink.

seems that all software developers who give an user the option to chose installation path are wrong ;)

Well not all of them are offering the option so it's not about being wrong or right, it's about minimizing support requests, more likely. :P

You don't get these sorts of questions from AAX or AU users, and they also use a prescribed single path where their plugins go. It's really the same deal with VST3.

I'm pretty sure at some point late in the VST2 SDK development cycle, long after VST3 had been established, Steinberg added C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 as the proscribed location for VST2 plugins in the documentation, to mirror VST3.

Return to “Instruments”