Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, looks good. Thanks :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:11 pm
Peraqsha wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:05 am Not exactly driving me crazy, but i find it inconvenient that Bitwig lacks..

1. comping
2. Lack of a decent groove system like Ableton or Reason.
3. Midi Grid
4. granular delay effects
5. spectral FFT filters
6. Better TS algorithms
The first 3 I understand...

4 & 5 - just buy suitable plugins. Few DAW's have those anyway and they are not that useful as they impart a noticeable character to whatever content you apply them to.

6 - The Bitwig time stretch algos are some of the better ones available. It is not a weakness compare to most DAW's.
I understand they aren't that useful to some, but I kind of hoped for such things since it seems Bitwig is aimed at the "other" crowd who want to experiment lots.

I know there are other good plugins out there, I own a few in fact. I just think it would be nice to see some experimental granular and FFT based effects built into Bitwig.
Noise Producer

carlca wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:41 pm
Midibitch wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:15 pm • Not to have the possibility to route the send fx to a channel for a feedback loop to make dub mixing effects in a traditional way
I know that you can get around the feedback limitation in a grid by using a "Long Delay" set to the minimum delay. See how it's used here in making a Ping Pong Delay grid viewtopic.php?f=259&t=526058&p=7417862& ... y#p7417862

I wonder if there is a way of using similar techniques with Send FX tracks. I would be very interested in this as I am trying to build a decent collection of tools and workflows for all things Dubwise within Bitwig 😉

Incidentally, I'm enjoying listening to GLEiTZEiT on Bandcamp. I've been into Kosmische Musik ever since I first heard Can's reissued Soundtracks album in '79, and I've seen Damo several times, Faust four times and Michael Rother twice 😉
Thanx for the suggestion. I will try this workaround. :)
And also grateful that you listen to my album GLEiTZEiT and hope you had a good time. :phones:
CAN, Faust and Roher are great... :love:
Electronic Kraut Space Dub - Kosmische Musik https://midibitch.bandcamp.com/

Peraqsha wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:59 amI know there are other good plugins out there, I own a few in fact. I just think it would be nice to see some experimental granular and FFT based effects built into Bitwig.
Experimental granular delay effects should be possible in the Grid. Also, the Pitch shifter is a granular effect. Never tried it but putting it into the Delay feedback could get some interesting results.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:22 pm
Peraqsha wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:59 amI know there are other good plugins out there, I own a few in fact. I just think it would be nice to see some experimental granular and FFT based effects built into Bitwig.
Experimental granular delay effects should be possible in the Grid. Also, the Pitch shifter is a granular effect. Never tried it but putting it into the Delay feedback could get some interesting results.
Pitch shifter itself is a sort of a delay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iTZg08ksqg

-Clip gain only works for native Bitwig instruments, yet when working with 3rd party vst's, the option is not greyed out in the inespector.
-Moving playhead by clicking on timeline often misses on larger displays where GUI is smaller, resulting in panning with the mouse rathe than setting audition marker
-Selecting the + icon pulls up a browser. This doesn't make sense from a UX experience because it is more obvious than right clicking blank space for a menu that gives all options for tracks including audio. It should be reversed, in my opinion- but maybe others prefer it this way.

GUI is slightly unresponsive sometimes

The color of the mousepointer Bitwig is not the color of my systems mousepointer ^^
that's it ^^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I really really wish I could just manually type in CC assignments instead of having to auto detect. My controllers use XY pads or key slide and it's really hard to "learn" them. I have to go through hoops to assign things this way and being able to just type in the CC# would save me a ton of time.

No SysEx at track or VST level.

killmaster wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:57 pm I really really wish I could just manually type in CC assignments instead of having to auto detect. My controllers use XY pads or key slide and it's really hard to "learn" them. I have to go through hoops to assign things this way and being able to just type in the CC# would save me a ton of time.
Agreed, I used to have an Expressive E Touche and it makes MIDI learn basically impossible. Though a relatively simple workaround is to use a MIDI modulator instead.

I think I finally figured out what was causing my occasional glitching that happened intermittently a few seconds after using MIDI CC to fade out a channel -- I checked "Override Driver Timing" on the Audio panel and I'm not getting it anymore. :tu:

On the other hand, one thing that does still drive me crazy is, if you install a plugin that requires a demo license on iLok but launch Bitwig before setting up the license, it will mark the plugin as invalid and never show it again. I finally found that clearing the cache will force it to rescan everything the next time.

Couple of things actually:

1. zooming - it should be really around clips or selection, I never know where is the centre
2. saving - do we really have to see that “.bwsproject” all the time - I always need to erase it to add number for versions etc.
3. “open recent”instead of dash board projects list that takes so much space
4. gui that works better with OS (not sure how it’s on Windows I’m on Mac) default closing, big screen and minimalise - now there is some custom Bitwig thing and it’s not compatible with any window management apps like Magnetto or so, that really speeds up the workflow

jeanclaudevanlee wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 pm 3. “open recent”instead of dash board projects list that takes so much space
That's exactly how the feature is called in Settings.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Right I just wish it was a standard

File->Open recent…

list instead of the dash that cover all the project window. I use lots of versions for design and fx and check this all the time. it’s sometimes frustrating Bitwig wants to reinvent the wheel instead of using standard menu lists.

jeanclaudevanlee wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:10 pm Right I just wish it was a standard

File->Open recent…

list instead of the dash that cover all the project window. I use lots of versions for design and fx and check this all the time. it’s sometimes frustrating Bitwig wants to reinvent the wheel instead of using standard menu lists.
I like Bitwig's way of showing recent projects much better than the file menu.

For example, I can right click on one of the recent projects to remove it from the list. Very handy!

Clicking a project also shows its location and last modified date at the bottom.

Return to “Bitwig”