What drives you crazy in Bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That’s interesting, didn’t know about the right click delete option. Ok so how do you guys save project versions? Is there a better way then project with another number? The list is growing this way and hence I don’t really like dashboard way of showing recent projects.

jeanclaudevanlee wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:11 pm That’s interesting, didn’t know about the right click delete option. Ok so how do you guys save project versions? Is there a better way then project with another number? The list is growing this way and hence I don’t really like dashboard way of showing recent projects.
I don't save project versions. I only save the single project file from start to finish. Anything I think I might want to go back to, I keep in inactive and hidden tracks. I also keep some project notes.

pdxindy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:15 pm
jeanclaudevanlee wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:11 pm That’s interesting, didn’t know about the right click delete option. Ok so how do you guys save project versions? Is there a better way then project with another number? The list is growing this way and hence I don’t really like dashboard way of showing recent projects.
I don't save project versions. I only save the single project file from start to finish. Anything I think I might want to go back to, I keep in inactive and hidden tracks. I also keep some project notes.
That would get unruly pretty fast in my case and since I mostly do work for clients these days I save every new version so I can get back to it without to much hassle. Thanks for remembering that Bitwig has project note! :tu:

If you do "Save As" (on already saved project) and don't change the location but only the project name, then it will save it in the same folder keeping the references to embedded audio files. But in most case you don't have to do that, because Bitwig - when doing "Save" puts the previous version in backup folder and saves the new one. It keeps last 10 versions.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Right, thanks for all the tips - it makes sense to make just a single project with Bitwig and in case use the 10 last versions in the backup. It often happens I go back to the early versions though - even from last months, but yeah maybe I should commit more then and just go ahead :)

One thing that drives me a bit crazy is Bitwig's silence. They hardly ever interact with their community.

It's a bit strange coming from the video game world where developers are constantly interacting with fans, getting people excited about future plans, teasing new releases, etc.

coroknight wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:51 pm One thing that drives me a bit crazy is Bitwig's silence. They hardly ever interact with their community.

It's a bit strange coming from the video game world where developers are constantly interacting with fans, getting people excited about future plans, teasing new releases, etc.
Bitwig 2077

jeanclaudevanlee wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:32 am Right, thanks for all the tips - it makes sense to make just a single project with Bitwig and in case use the 10 last versions in the backup. It often happens I go back to the early versions though - even from last months, but yeah maybe I should commit more then and just go ahead :)
Doesn't hurt to try some different workflows, even if you end up back on a previous method.

I like having one project file. Sometimes I keep a second project with the primary project file which I think of as a parts bin.

stamp wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:57 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:15 pm
That would get unruly pretty fast in my case and since I mostly do work for clients these days I save every new version so I can get back to it without to much hassle. Thanks for remembering that Bitwig has project note! :tu:
I do the same and just throw unused tracks in a group.

No Keyboard-assignable Shortcut to Add a playlist Marker... :clap:

antic604 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:42 pm
If you do "Save As" (on already saved project) and don't change the location but only the project name, then it will save it in the same folder keeping the references to embedded audio files. But in most case you don't have to do that, because Bitwig - when doing "Save" puts the previous version in backup folder and saves the new one. It keeps last 10 versions.
It does, but it's hard to tell what is what *though it has been a life saver when collaborating and I've 'lost' parts, you could be fished back.

I'm a big fan of versioning and basically use _v1_01, _v2_04. I'll then use these if I am bouncing out a version to listen elsewhere.

The in between no version saves are helpful, as is the back up - but having a definitive 'version' with number can be really useful.

_leras wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:45 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:42 pm
It does, but it's hard to tell what is what *though it has been a life saver when collaborating and I've 'lost' parts, you could be fished back.

I'm a big fan of versioning and basically use _v1_01, _v2_04. I'll then use these if I am bouncing out a version to listen elsewhere.

The in between no version saves are helpful, as is the back up - but having a definitive 'version' with number can be really useful.
The biggest advantage of Digital Performer IMO over other DAWs is that multiple versions of songs can be stored in projects in what they call Chunks, this allows you to have a MIDI heavy hardware, virtual instrument version of the song in the same Project file as the rendered to audio with mastering plug ins version. So yeah I kinda like that better than having to save versions outside the project to have the same function. We sort of get that ability in the sense that projects can live in a list at top and you can choose which engine to activate, but it's not really the same.

This one drives me nuts and I would love to be proven ignorant on this, but I bet otherwise.

Opening up the Edit view it defaults to whatever is selected MIDI, audio, or clip wise, but the Device selection is dependent on the Track selection. The fun part of this is there's no immediate way I know of in the Edit view to select the device that's being edited in the MIDI or audio above? So you have to go back to the Mix or Arrange views to select the correct track. :dog:

machinesworking wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:24 am...I would love to be proven ignorant on this...
There's an option in Settings for track selection to follow event (clip) selection... :wink: :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:07 am
machinesworking wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:24 am...I would love to be proven ignorant on this...
There's an option in Settings for track selection to follow event (clip) selection... :wink: :hug:
Yeah but that limits how you interact with tracks, I'll check but I would bet that messes with multiple record armed setups as well. To me the solution is to have a way in the Edit page to switch to another MIDI or audio track. Digital Performer has a selection view you can call up to select multiple MIDI tracks to view notes as the same time in the editor with, this would solve that, and extend the usefulness of the Edit page.

Seriously, we should be able to at least select another track in the Edit window. I get that Bitwig is more Clips oriented, but Reaper is "Item" oriented and also does this layered approach to editing in it's bigger window. It's weird that it's selectable in the subwindow, but not the big Edit window..

Return to “Bitwig”