I need a limiter and two are on sale: IK Stealth or PSP Xenon?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been using free limiters and they've served me pretty well, but I've been wanting a really good limiter for a while and I just found out today that two of them that are generally regarded as being among the best available are both on sale for no brainer prices. As in, under thirty dollars apiece.

So it's the PSP Xenon and the IK Stealth Limiter. Help me decide which one I should go for. I'm doing hard rock and metal mostly, and I'm not interested in joining the Loudness Wars; I won't be pushing for crazy levels, and I'd prefer transparency over character.

Thanks for your input, ladies and gents. 8)

I have only used PSP Xenon and it should work for the kind of music that you do. For electronic music with heavy bass, I like others better. I haven't tried the Ik limiter as I try not to use anything IK because you have to install several programs and download all their plugins just to use one. Anyway, my recommendation is that you test both of them. With limiters, it is important that you feel comfortable using them and understand all the parameters to find a good sound.

I own Stealth Limiter and demoed the Xenon some years back. Personally I'd go with Stealth as it is my go to. It is the cleanest and most transparent IMHO out of all the limiters I've owned or tried and it has some great options for filtering and adding harmonics to preserve the transients. The only knock I would say is I do lose a tiny bit of the bottom end energy compared to other good limiters but you can compensate by adding a bit more bottom end just before hitting the limiter.

Xenon was a great alternative to the old Waves L1 back in the day when options were sparse but this one in 2021 I just rate as just OK. It doesn't preserve the transients especially on the snare as well as the IK Stealth and doesn't sound quite as clean or transparent. For what it's worth I can also push the Stealth way harder before it craps out.

FYI, I'm a rock and metal guy.

Stealth is highly underrated. I own a lot of limiters and Stealth still gets used a lot. Very transparent and also very quick to set up.
Demoed Xenon a while back and wasn't impressed, it felt outdated.

But yeah, demo both. When you're not pushing limiters too hard there shouldn't be too much difference in sound.
More BPM please

I know this is not exactly what your looking for, but I’m using FIRComp 2 as a limiter and dare say I’m getting pretty good results. Very cheap and transparent, but of course it’s not a “true” limiter. Otherwise, I use Newfangled Elevate, which is incredible, but it’s not on sale.

I've never been let down by any of my PSP plugins.
I also have the Ik and I don't use it. But it's good. Either way. you're good!
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

If you like tweeking, Xenon will satisfy. It has many features to help dial in a best sound including multiple limit stages, dynamics etc.

It is a total no brainer. The PSP limiter is sooo good. Demo it and compare to the IK. I've compared it to many and it simply sounds the best.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

perpetual3 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 am I know this is not exactly what your looking for, but I’m using FIRComp 2 as a limiter and dare say I’m getting pretty good results. Very cheap and transparent, but of course it’s not a “true” limiter. Otherwise, I use Newfangled Elevate, which is incredible, but it’s not on sale.
This!
You get an incredible compressor and limiter for $25.

simmo75 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:23 pm You get an incredible compressor and limiter for $25.
Stealth Limiter is currently $25 too, on sale

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 pm
simmo75 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:23 pm You get an incredible compressor and limiter for $25.
Indeed, I don't think it's as good though, hence my comment :D

fcamp wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:20 am I have only used PSP Xenon and it should work for the kind of music that you do. For electronic music with heavy bass, I like others better. I haven't tried the Ik limiter as I try not to use anything IK because you have to install several programs and download all their plugins just to use one. Anyway, my recommendation is that you test both of them. With limiters, it is important that you feel comfortable using them and understand all the parameters to find a good sound.
Music genre has nothing to do which limiter is used.

In music genres where you don't have to push the volume it doesn't matter. If you go for loudness, I think it does. But I am not a mastering engineer, that's only my experience.

simmo75 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:49 pm
Judging by other comments, it seems it is at least as good if not better. :D

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:45 pm
simmo75 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:49 pm
Judging by other comments, it seems it is at least as good if not better. :D
Haha, obviously no bias though Peter ;)

Return to “Effects”