The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

:hug:
well if you do ever want to talk, im only a pm away ;)

awesome news on the cheque! beers on you :party:

wagtunes wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:34 pm

And while production wise it's excellent (so far) musically, taking time with my songs, for me anyway, doesn't make them better songs. In fact, I'd say just the opposite. I think when I'm really inspired by an idea and I put it together quickly, it tends to come out better, at least musically. This whole agonizing over every chord, every note, every second of the arrangement, I think is counter productive for me. So far, I can honestly say that this is one of the worse CDs I've ever done, from a musical perspective. The songs are missing that spark. There's no other way to explain it. When you hear it (I'm posting the playlist in its entirety when it's finished) I am 99% sure you will agree with me.

I half agree - I write really, really (really..) quickly and get the basics down (guitar most of the time, but on the odd occasion something with the mouse in piano roll). On the other hand, it's the 'fairy dust' - the little hooks and surprise bits, the effects automation, the dynamic mixing, the cutting of extraneous bits etc - that takes all the time, but it's this that can raise an average song to a good one that people will remember. A lot of the time you've got to step away from something for a bit to look at it dispassionately and make better creative choices.

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:43 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:34 pm

And while production wise it's excellent (so far) musically, taking time with my songs, for me anyway, doesn't make them better songs. In fact, I'd say just the opposite. I think when I'm really inspired by an idea and I put it together quickly, it tends to come out better, at least musically. This whole agonizing over every chord, every note, every second of the arrangement, I think is counter productive for me. So far, I can honestly say that this is one of the worse CDs I've ever done, from a musical perspective. The songs are missing that spark. There's no other way to explain it. When you hear it (I'm posting the playlist in its entirety when it's finished) I am 99% sure you will agree with me.

I half agree - I write really, really (really..) quickly and get the basics down (guitar most of the time, but on the odd occasion something with the mouse in piano roll). On the other hand, it's the 'fairy dust' - the little hooks and surprise bits, the effects automation, the dynamic mixing, the cutting of extraneous bits etc - that takes all the time, but it's this that can raise an average song to a good one that people will remember. A lot of the time you've got to step away from something for a bit to look at it dispassionately and make better creative choices.
Which is actually a lot of what I'm doing. My current song I haven't looked at for 4 days. Nothing is hitting me. I hear it in my head and I try to think what I can add that will make it better and I come up empty. It's almost like I've forgotten how to write.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of it has to do with the modest success I'm having, with more to come as the group has a whole load of my songs in the queue for future albums. It's like emotionally I'm saying "Well, I achieved what I set out to achieve so now I'm done."

Or maybe not. I honestly don't know. And of course the current project itself (the theme) could have a lot to do with it too. But that's another long story that I won't get into here. The project itself might have been a mistake.

wagtunes,
Of course you are free to do things however you like, and if you find it inspiring working on a project/CD with songs of a similar genre, then great. Though have you considered just making a song, whatever strikes your fancy at that time, regardless what you did most recently, and what you anticipate doing in the future? I guess I prefer to work a bit differently (not saying it would necessarily be better for you); I attempt to mix it up a bit genre wise from song to song. Not that it always works out that way, because I often find a new or newer plug-in inspiring.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:50 am wagtunes,
Of course you are free to do things however you like, and if you find it inspiring working on a project/CD with songs of a similar genre, then great. Though have you considered just making a song, whatever strikes your fancy at that time, regardless what you did most recently, and what you anticipate doing in the future? I guess I prefer to work a bit differently (not saying it would necessarily be better for you); I attempt to mix it up a bit genre wise from song to song. Not that it always works out that way, because I often find a new or newer plug-in inspiring.
Actually Aaron, I've done quite a few projects that were a complete mix of genres. My most recent was my CD "Smorgasbord"

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... morgasbord

There is a story behind my current project but that's for another time when I post it in its entirety.

Wow, quite a selection in there.
Ears bleeding, wow thats a big synth @2:00, what did you use, is it Omnisphere. Its huge.
In my house, love the rhythm in this one.
I think the rest of the playlist seems familiar, I think I may have commented on them before.
Stay well :tu:

Bansaw wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:35 pm Wow, quite a selection in there.
Ears bleeding, wow thats a big synth @2:00, what did you use, is it Omnisphere. Its huge.
In my house, love the rhythm in this one.
I think the rest of the playlist seems familiar, I think I may have commented on them before.
Stay well :tu:
Thanks for the listen. Actually I think it's Obsession but honestly, I'm not sure.

musically, taking time with my songs, for me anyway, doesn't make them better songs. In fact, I'd say just the opposite. I think when I'm really inspired by an idea and I put it together quickly, it tends to come out better, at least musically. This whole agonizing over every chord, every note, every second of the arrangement, I think is counter productive for me.
Hi Wags,
Everyone's different in the way they create stuff...there's no RIGHT or WRONG here...never has been!

For what it's worth - do it the way that works for you and ignore those who say otherwise!!!

I have a natural tendency to over complicate and over edit everything...had to fight against it again and again...ruined a lot of pieces by adding too many layers and /or editing the soul out of 'em! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:37 pm
musically, taking time with my songs, for me anyway, doesn't make them better songs. In fact, I'd say just the opposite. I think when I'm really inspired by an idea and I put it together quickly, it tends to come out better, at least musically. This whole agonizing over every chord, every note, every second of the arrangement, I think is counter productive for me.
Hi Wags,
Everyone's different in the way they create stuff...there's no RIGHT or WRONG here...never has been!

For what it's worth - do it the way that works for you and ignore those who say otherwise!!!

I have a natural tendency to over complicate and over edit everything...had to fight against it again and again...ruined a lot of pieces by adding too many layers and /or editing the soul out of 'em! :)
yup, we work how we work...

but...
in wags case, it's the rushing production to get to the next idea!

the songs are great in many cases, but like donks said, it's taking time to add the bells and whistles that make it special!
one of those classic albums type shows, with pulp - common people.
shows the whole mix, it's great!
there's the song! which is actually fairly basic, but there's a load of additional little one shot sounds, you don't even really notice when you have played the song for ages, but when they play it without them, it sounds well, not special.

of course, you can get too deep there and never feel it's finished...

may the 4th.
balance. that's what we all need :hihi:

i honestly also think wags productions have come on really far in the past few years, so now he also has the skills to make that side work as well :tu:
he just needs to realise it :)

you have everything you need wags, to write and produce, the best you've ever done :)
take time to be proud of how far you have progressed too!
Last edited by vurt on Tue May 04, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Wags,

Exactly. I think that's what I'm doing with this current project. Anyway, I'm taking a break from it for a while until I actually feel some inspiration. Maybe I can salvage the last half of this CD.

vurt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:48 pm
Hi Wags,

but...

the songs are great in many cases, but like donks said, it's taking time to add the bells and whistles that make it special!
there's the song! which is actually fairly basic, but there's a load of additional little one shot sounds, you don't even really notice when you have played the song for ages, but when they play it without them, it sounds well, not special.

i honestly also think wags productions have come on really far in the past few years, so now he also has the skills to make that side work as well :tu:

you have everything you need wags, to write and produce, the best you've ever done :)
Yeah, there's no question I've come a long way. The royalty check I'm getting this month is living proof of that, though to be fair, I had nothing to do with the production of the song they included on the album. But my writing has gotten much better. At least until this CD. Maybe I'm just burnt out. I did do 13 CDs last year. That's more than one a month, which is insane. At one time, I stopped writing for 5 years. Maybe I just need another break.

yeah that's a lot for one year, of actual songs :o

pretty sure even the tin pan alley writers weren't doing that many songs each!

do you ever play just for the sake of it?
noodling?

or is it always working? on music or sound design?

vurt wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:48 pm
Hi Wags,

but...

of course, you can get too deep there and never feel it's finished...

may the 4th.
balance. that's what we all need :hihi:

Yeah, balance is important and of course, how we work as individuals tends to change over time as well....maybe what I meant was - don't lose the inspiration / soul etc etc by overdoing the whole process....been guilty there many times...easily done!

Common People - there's sooooo much shit in that track....so many layers it's ridiculous, but of course it was all done 'on the fly' by various band members on top of JC's ridiculously simple 3 chord masterpiece of anthemic pop melodic writing. They just piled on silly idea after idea in the studio in a 2 week flurry of manic creativity and then decided which bits worked and which had to go!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

yes, of course, they had the big advantage of being a "they" :lol:
a lot easier when there's a group of you throwing ideas around, one inspires the other.

we do make it a little more difficult as "one man/woman band and production team, plus publicity and admin..." :?

Return to “Music Cafe”