Disadvantages of DAWs in comparison to others

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think the person defending their honor/REAPER'S honor in these things has wildly overassessed the extent other people care about it.
It was a running joke 12 yrs ago here, the proselytizing and fervor, and it's not changed much. Probably goes through cycles.

If I happened into a working studio and found REAPER on their machines, I would be very surprised. I'd be less surprised to see SAWSTUDIO if we're talking too yoogly to go out the house during the day

machinesworking wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:17 pm
machinesworking wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:26 pm To be fair, Reapers strength is it's ultra configurability, and it's also it's weakness. I've got it set up the way I want to work with it, but it took probably a year of tweaking. That sets up the fun thing of having a super valuable user configuration, that would kill you to lose.
Yeah, no. This is often repeated but it's not true for everyone. I don't really think about preserving any setup. I just install it factory fresh on any machine that I need it on. The strength of Reaper is exactly that it isn't the DAW that other people like and that Justin keeps it that way by not listening to people who complain about it in threads like these.

What you perceive as loyalty is just a recognition that Reaper is unique in how it works and so there really aren't other choices for many Reaper users. The things that other people complain about, e.g., scripting, are the things that make it powerful and unique. We don't want it changed because then we won't have a DAW that works this way.
You're contradicting yourself here, I don't customize or run scripts, scripting is why Reaper is unique and a special snowflake! :lol:
I didn't say that I don't run or write scripts. I also only gave scripting as AN example of the things that make it unique. It's really more than that, but if you want to spend a year trying to turn it into another DAW, it might not be for you.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:38 pm Reaper should remain how it is. There's an audience for it. I'm just saying that that audience is not very big, and that it's not the common audience. And, I'm pretty sure that the Reaperites know all that. All the more surprising that they're still on a crusade frequently. But then, that's not entirely unknown for that kind of audience either. It's the same with the Linuxers.
Ok, yes, I don't get the motivation to be evangelists. I think that it's not the DAW for you and Linux is not the OS for you if it has to be explained to you what the advantages are. I came to Linux out of necessity and there was nothing better for that at the time, where better here is a defined by a series of constraints.

jancivil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:50 pm If I happened into a working studio and found REAPER on their machines, I would be very surprised. I'd be less surprised to see SAWSTUDIO if we're talking too yoogly to go out the house during the day
A good friend Tad, runs a studio here using Reaper and Studio One. He loves Reaper, except the comping.
chk071 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:46 pm
machinesworking wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:45 pm The audience is pretty big I would bet, mostly because of it's intro price for non pros.
I'm doubtful. Very.

Especially the casual hobbyists tend to use what their pro produzah role models use. That's why Sylenth1 is such a big thing. Money isn't a big issue these days either.
You're in Europe, here in the USA rock and guitar based music in general is still really big. Most of them just want cheap and capable, so yeah Reaper is popular here.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:00 pm Ok, yes, I don't get the motivation to be evangelists.
Did you notice the topic header? I've mentioned DAWs I've used and their shortcomings, and you're here Defending The Faith!™ :lol:

machinesworking wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:37 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:00 pm Ok, yes, I don't get the motivation to be evangelists.
Did you notice the topic header? I've mentioned DAWs I've used and their shortcomings, and you're here Defending The Faith!™ :lol:
Yes, I noticed, Maschine is life!

Harrison Mixbus 7.

I couldn't even get it to start without crashing.

Glad I tried the demo before getting suckered into purchasing (again).
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 pm Harrison Mixbus 7.

I couldn't even get it to start without crashing.

Glad I tried the demo before getting suckered into purchasing (again).
I got it (probably not it, probably a version several versions ago) going long enough to realize that I liked some aspects of it, but, it did seem unstable.

Ok, confession time, I like the analog meters, makes me feel like a profeshunal!

Apart from being cluttered, I like the look of the GUI. It looks quite beautiful.

I had upgraded a few times years ago in the hope that they'd produce a professional product. But ... they never do.

I had unsubscribed but they re-subscribed me again recently. I nearly bit without testing.

machinesworking wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:33 pm
jancivil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:50 pm If I happened into a working studio and found REAPER on their machines, I would be very surprised. I'd be less surprised to see SAWSTUDIO if we're talking too yoogly to go out the house during the day
A good friend Tad, runs a studio here using Reaper and Studio One. He loves Reaper, except the comping.
Sorry, that was just a setup for the punchline SAWSTUDIO
which is also ok by me but if it wants to get laid it had better be stacked with cash
Last edited by jancivil on Tue May 04, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DubTurbo

Aloysius wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:15 pmDubTurbo
Dubtoyabo takes the prize!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7nsTC3ktdY

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 pm
machinesworking wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:37 pm
Yes, I noticed, Maschine is life!
:lol:

jancivil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:12 pm
machinesworking wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:33 pm
Sorry, that was just a setup for the punchline SAWSTUDIO
which is also ok by me but if it wants to get laid it had better be stacked with cash
He's married, so he doesn't get laid by law.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”