VST or M4L manually triggered delay

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cron wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:07 pm What you're looking for here is a device where, instead of having a buffer automatically looping when it reaches the end, you want to trigger each 'loop' through the circuitry manually.

Is this right? It sounds quite interesting if so, and I can't really think of an easy way to do it. The best I've got is recording a 'typical' dub style delay as it repeats to blowout, splitting the resulting recording into small segments the same length as each delay, and then spreading the segments out, manually placing each segment where desired.
Yes that's correct.
Like you I've thought about recording the delay repeats and splicing them, but I wanna play around with sounds coming in "live", have fun you know !
Not doing a tedious programming thing for something that should be very organic

The strange thing is that it was manufactured in 1984, shouldn't be hard today I guess, but what do I know, I'm a user not a programmer. :wink:

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm some sort of triggered buffer, with pitch controlling some sort of saturation?
A triggered buffer behaving like a delay. In short a triggered delay. Pitch is not directly involved unless you change the delay time, like on a tape echo. But irrelevent for now.
People are already confused enough without adding pitch :)

chris j wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:46 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm some sort of triggered buffer, with pitch controlling some sort of saturation?
A triggered buffer behaving like a delay. In short a triggered delay. Pitch is not directly involved unless you change the delay time, like on a tape echo. But irrelevent for now.
People are already confused enough without adding pitch :)
no, don't use the pitch to control the delay time.
a key press sends a trigger and pitch, if you have the trigger, trigger playback, and can somehow route the notes to control a wet/dry on saturation.
as you play higher, the sound is more saturated.

someone should be able to knock it up in m4l.

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:51 pm no, don't use the pitch to control the delay time.
a key press sends a trigger and pitch, if you have the trigger, trigger playback, and can somehow route the notes to control a wet/dry on saturation.
as you play higher, the sound is more saturated.

someone should be able to knock it up in m4l.
OOps sorry I get what you meant (The MIDI note number and not audio pitch) !

yeah that'd be nice, with a lowpass filter of some sort

chris j wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:40 pm
cron wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:07 pm What you're looking for here is a device where, instead of having a buffer automatically looping when it reaches the end, you want to trigger each 'loop' through the circuitry manually.

Is this right? It sounds quite interesting if so, and I can't really think of an easy way to do it. The best I've got is recording a 'typical' dub style delay as it repeats to blowout, splitting the resulting recording into small segments the same length as each delay, and then spreading the segments out, manually placing each segment where desired.
Yes that's correct.
Like you I've thought about recording the delay repeats and splicing them, but I wanna play around with sounds coming in "live", have fun you know !
Not doing a tedious programming thing for something that should be very organic

The strange thing is that it was manufactured in 1984, shouldn't be hard today I guess, but what do I know, I'm a user not a programmer. :wink:
Had a think while I was in the shower, and I realised that Live's beatslicing could alleviate some of the fiddling in this process. Record your delay blowout synced to tempo, right-click the resulting audio and slice to quarter notes, and you've immediately got your repeats in the Sampler device ready to play by wandering up your keyboard.

It's not ideal and it's certainly not lower case 'live', but in the absence of a dedicated device and in the spirit of pragmatism, it might be the best existing solution.

cron wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 pm Had a think while I was in the shower, and I realised that Live's beatslicing could alleviate some of the fiddling in this process. Record your delay blowout synced to tempo, right-click the resulting audio and slice to quarter notes, and you've immediately got your repeats in the Sampler device ready to play by wandering up your keyboard.

It's not ideal and it's certainly not lower case 'live', but in the absence of a dedicated device and in the spirit of pragmatism, it might be the best existing solution.
Yeah I know, but it's not a particular result I'm after, it's the process of doing it, improvising with the effect.
Recording a "normal" delay and splicing it and triggering it means I know that I want to achieve some echo on a particular phrase, I've actually done that when needed.

But like I said before it's the real time process I'm after.
thanks!

interesting tread...

ericzang wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:14 am Maybe one of these could do something similar?
https://beatlabacademy.com/beat-lab-ins ... -download/
https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/xfadelooper.html
Thanks so much Eric !
sorry for the delay in answering, I don't receive notifications...
Will try these 2, looks promising !
cheers !

chris j wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:48 pm sorry for the delay
boom boom! :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:37 pm
chris j wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:48 pm sorry for the delay
boom boom! :hihi:
talk about feeding straight lines :wink:

ericzang wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:14 am Maybe one of these could do something similar?
https://beatlabacademy.com/beat-lab-ins ... -download/
Ericzang, the Beat Lab Instant Sampler is perfect for what I want, lots of possibilities with room for improvisation, thank you and thanks Beat lab Academy ! :)

On the same day I got ericzang links here there was also this Max For Live device that came out which is even better for the effect I'm after

It's More Simpler frz v2, the live input makes all the difference with the original More Simpler :
https://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=7344

Return to “Effects”