Arturia V Collection 8 official thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Analog Lab Pro Arturia Prophet VS Sound Library V Collection X

Does it actually, really matter? :D It's just a buzzword anyways.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed May 05, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lerian wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:36 pm Does OB-Xa uses the TAE technology? I see no reference on the website. And if not, why not?
Yes, whatever that actually is.

Paragraph 1.3
https://downloads.arturia.net/products/ ... 1_0_EN.pdf

Thanks, there has to be a way to emulate the analog sound to close this never ending topic of the "analog sound" in plugins.

I was hoping TAE to be the real thing and leave the hardware only for the hands-on approach. But it seems the Arturia sounds more surgical, harsh and metalic while the Oberheim sound is more round, full-bodied, and "sweet" in the highs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xzbZY-g-lA

I think they've been using that acronym since their first emulations in the early 2000's, which definitely were not on the level of their latest emulations, also considering the processing power of the older computers. It's a marketing thing more than anything.

I take "TAE" as a way they use to name a set of procedures in measuring, modelling and matching the hardware units they have under their hands. But I'd also guess all serious developers for analog emulations (be it instruments or processors) must go through those steps in their own way.

Lerian wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:16 pm the Arturia sounds more surgical, harsh and metalic while the Oberheim sound is more round, full-bodied, and "sweet" in the highs.
How is it possible to describe "the sound" of an entire synth with such (notably non-auditory) adjectives, when the whole point of a synth is that it can be programmed to produce an enormous range of sounds? I guess perhaps you're trying to describing its "inherent tone" rather than the actual patches that can be made with it? What is an "inherent tone", exactly? Something present in every patch, regardless of how the patch was programmed?

In any case, blind tests are the only tests that tell us anything about how our brains are *actually* responding to the sound of one synth vs. another / hardware vs. software, etc.
Last edited by mholloway on Wed May 05, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I never did understand what TAE was.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:46 pm I never did understand what TAE was.
Every Arturia synth PDF manual starts off with a 3-4 page description of what TAE is, if you're interested.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 pm Does it actually, really matter? :D It's just a buzzword anyways.
it's the secret sauce. the same stuff they put in shawarma.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

mholloway wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:48 pm
Every Arturia synth PDF manual starts off with a 3-4 page description of what TAE is, if you're interested.
yeah.. i recall reading that page in the little books i got with my first vcollection. i still dont get what it is.

Spoiler: it's a bullsh*t marketing term that means nothing. Arturia has TAE, Roland calls it ACB, other companies have other acronyms, some just call it "circuit modelled," etc. It's just what companies decide to call their modeling that attempts to approximate the behavior of circuits. Some may even use stripped down versions of something like SPICE, but full blown SPICE models of even very simple circuits would tear through CPU's when used for realtime audio. Some companies are quite good at approximating the behavior of analog circuits, other companies, not so much. But they all claim to have their own secret sauce that does it really well. That's what TAE is.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:06 am Spoiler: it's a bullsh*t marketing term that means nothing. Arturia has TAE, Roland calls it ACB, other companies have other acronyms, some just call it "circuit modelled," etc. It's just what companies decide to call their modeling that attempts to approximate the behavior of circuits.
I think Korg's CMT (component modeling technology) was the first MTA (meaningless technology abbreviation).
Stormchild

telecode wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:48 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 pm Does it actually, really matter? :D It's just a buzzword anyways.
it's the secret sauce. the same stuff they put in shawarma.
I never did understand what shawarma was. :hihi:
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

Arashi wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:30 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:06 am Spoiler: it's a bullsh*t marketing term that means nothing. Arturia has TAE, Roland calls it ACB, other companies have other acronyms, some just call it "circuit modelled," etc. It's just what companies decide to call their modeling that attempts to approximate the behavior of circuits.
I think Korg's CMT (component modeling technology) was the first MTA (meaningless technology abbreviation).
What about Roland’s LA in 1987 ? I’d say it’s the 1st MTA in synth story ?

Lerian wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:16 pm Thanks, there has to be a way to emulate the analog sound to close this never ending topic of the "analog sound" in plugins.

I was hoping TAE to be the real thing and leave the hardware only for the hands-on approach. But it seems the Arturia sounds more surgical, harsh and metalic while the Oberheim sound is more round, full-bodied, and "sweet" in the highs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xzbZY-g-lA
At Dark Pad preset (about 3:52) there is clearly audible huge detune at original unit, while in plugin all precisely by pitch. That easy to fix i suppose. (Not a fan of OBX line though, just did notice.)

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi guys, I have a problem with Analog Lab V, the interface for the Analog Lab V doesn't load when I re-open a project on Fl studio 20. Analog Lab V's UI shows a screenshot of whats behind the window, its stuck to that screenshot even when I move Analog Lab V's window, that movement show a glitch by duplicating parts of that screenshot depending of how I move the window, while everything else VST in FL Studio works properly. I saw a post on FL studio forum which seems to be the same as mine ( https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic. ... 7#p1618597 (https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=181567#p1618597) ) I followed all the feed step by step, I tried to fix it by disabling my both GUI card and by reactivating but nothing change.
Are there somebody who experienced the same problem ?

Return to “Instruments”