Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

Eric Persing is a legend and Omnisphere is a synthesis of his entire career, including his work with Roland and Atmosphere. So well worth it imho.

Well - Of course there is no unbiased opinion, simply because if you ask if Omnisphere 2 is worth it, you will get answers from the people that used it. You cannot give an answer to the question, if you never worked with Omnisphere. There is no way around that...

Anyway - I used Omnisphere for years now, and in my humble opinion it's simply worth the money. Even after all these years it's still my number one synth to use. This is, of course, a personal opinion. That said - If I am in a more experimental mood, I often pick Halion 6. That's real powerhouse for insane tweakers. Of course the Grid in Bitwig is a very nice one too.

With the above I really have all I need. Maybe in the future I will consider buying Zebra 2 (or 3 when that one will be released), but so far I did not feel a real burning need to do so. It's a nice one to have, but I ask myself if I really need it.

@aMUSEd and @jclosed : Thanks for sharing your views, appreciated.

Eric Persing is truly a legend. I listened to one of his demos "Voices Medley" today and recalled the days when Omnisphere was new and I used to listen to this track like crazy. It is stuck in my head so much that I hummed it (a little ahead of time) note by note with all the effects even though I listened to it after ages. Goosebumps stuff!
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Thu May 06, 2021 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

jclosed wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:32 am Well - Of course there is no unbiased opinion, simply because if you ask if Omnisphere 2 is worth it, you will get answers from the people that used it.
Not necessarily... :lol:

I wouldn't buy Omnisphere 2 right now at all, I think its a very stupid thing to do. I say this because during the pandemic, Eric said they are working on new stuff, so just wait. That is way too much money to drop when he said they are releasing new stuff. Just wait for Omnisphere 3

@vertibration: Thanks for the heads-up. I can certainly wait, no hurry. By the way, what's the source of that info?

In the meantime...

How is Omnisphere 2 CPU wise?

I am running Intel Core-i7 7700 paired with 16 GB DDR4. The specs are met, but I want to know roughly how many instances can I open? Or the better way would be to use it as a multi-timbral synth and load instruments in one instance and route them to different MIDI channels?

How do you guys use it?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 pm @vertibration: Thanks for the heads-up. I can certainly wait, no hurry. By the way, what's the source of that info?
I am not sure if he meant Omnisphere 3, after all Trilian has had an update and the Moog library has had an update.
Also Spectrasonics tend to have very generous updates/upgrades.

This is what he said:
https://youtu.be/VIUXNiIV8pM?t=305

(click on the link not the preview to go to where he speaks about working on new stuff)
rsp
sound sculptist

@zvenx: Thank you for sharing the video. He did say they are working on some new stuff. Considering Trilian got an update only about 6 months ago, I think it would be safe to assume that the new stuff could be Omnisphere 3 or Stylus RMX 2 - unless they introduce something totally new.

Past trend says they do offer a decent grace period of 8 months or so, which is really generous. The upgrade price is not cheap though - and I think once you upgrade, you cannot transfer your license (becomes NFR). So, either get benefited by the grace period offer or stick with the version you have got if you plan to ever resell.

Also, due to the unpredictable nature of Spectrasonics, waiting for Omnisphere 3 could be a hopeless affair.

This video was made quite awhile before Trilian's update was released though. (April 15th 2020 vs November 2020).
They are always working on 'new' stuff :).

But yes could very well be Omnisphere 3 or Stylus RMX 2, but not necessarily either.

I am very biased.. Omnisphere is my desert island synth.

rsp
sound sculptist

Yeah, I did realize that. They are always working on new stuff, but releasing it like once per decade. :)

If it is Omnisphere 3, I think it would be released in 2022 going by the 7-year major version cycle.

I can imagine why you say that. It's a preset machine and that too a pretty good one.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pm I thought about Halion 6, but since I have Kontakt and pretty much used to it, I don't want one more sampler. I am not a Cubase user either, and the Steinberg licensing system right now is something I am not a fan of - I know, it is going to change, but who knows what the next thing will be.
I don't think Halion is just a sampler any more than Omnisphere is just a ROMpler. It has a couple synth engines and prebuilt synth instruments. I can see not wanting to install another huge sample library though.

biscuitdough wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:00 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pm I thought about Halion 6, but since I have Kontakt and pretty much used to it, I don't want one more sampler. I am not a Cubase user either, and the Steinberg licensing system right now is something I am not a fan of - I know, it is going to change, but who knows what the next thing will be.
I don't think Halion is just a sampler any more than Omnisphere is just a ROMpler. It has a couple synth engines and prebuilt synth instruments. I can see not wanting to install another huge sample library though.
Yes, I agree, but Halion 6 would be an odd choice for me for a few (personal) reasons.

In my system (8th generation i5 with 16 Gb RAM) Omnisphere runs smoothly, and I sometimes keep several instances opened. It may be better to make a Multi but I am lazy…

Pigments 3 is much more hungry for my CPU.

zvenx wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:44 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 pm @vertibration: Thanks for the heads-up. I can certainly wait, no hurry. By the way, what's the source of that info?
I am not sure if he meant Omnisphere 3, after all Trilian has had an update and the Moog library has had an update.
Also Spectrasonics tend to have very generous updates/upgrades.

This is what he said:
https://youtu.be/VIUXNiIV8pM?t=305

(click on the link not the preview to go to where he speaks about working on new stuff)
rsp
Even if it was Omisphere, I'd really not take such statements as an indication that they're short before the release of something new. In general, software development doesn't work like that. It can be years until something finally is being released (especially with audio software). And, I really doubt you'd want to wait years, if you want to buy Omnisphere now.

Return to “Instruments”