Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

Pigments is really a fun way to work with samples. I lump it in with Absynth, Iris 2, and Padshop. In many ways it's definitely not as deep as Abysnth, but the filters don't sound like ass like they do in Absynth. I mean, they don't blow me away, but they're much more usable than Absynth's filters. The fun and immediacy of Pigments definitely trumps Absynth. Absynth has some tricks, but it sorely needs an update. Trying to fiddle about with those envelopes on a modern screen. FFS NI, update Absynth already! Ok, the functions in Pigments are great though. If you can't work up a bubbly animated pad in a few minutes then it's not the synth.

Compared to doing fiddly sample work in almost any other real sampler, e.g., Kontakt (and yes I know some of you don't think it's a real sampler, don't care), it's just way happening. It takes me back to when just a few samples stretched across the keys was a thing. It's a great way to have some fun with those old sample CD libraries that we all have kicking around.

The analog engine is the weakest part IMNSHO. I would like to see some choices for ring modulation here, make it a dropdown on the third oscillator.

Another feature that I would really like to see is an IR reverb in the FX section with the ability to load user impulse responses.

I'm not really an Arturia fan so I'm a bit surprised that I like it as much as I do.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:11 pm
Another feature that I would really like to see is an IR reverb in the FX section with the ability to load user impulse responses.
What other synths have this feature? :D

Dark Lights wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:17 pm
Kontakt, Hallion, I don't have it but I suspect Falcon. It's a feature that I think accompanies Pigments strengths. Pigments FX section is so strong in other ways that I feel that it's an omission. Having multiple flexible FX paths with multiband EQ is fantastic, I want to be able to add strange IR spaces to sounds and have them saved with the patch.

ghettosynth wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:24 pm
Kontakt, Hallion, I don't have it but I suspect Falcon. It's a feature that I think accompanies Pigments strengths. Pigments FX section is so strong in other ways that I feel that it's an omission. Having multiple flexible FX paths with multiband EQ is fantastic, I want to be able to add strange IR spaces to sounds and have them saved with the patch.
I've got Unify and have taken to creating presets in there so I can reuse combinations of plugins in any DAW I want by just opening Unify and finding the patch. If you have decent go to effects outside of the instruments it makes life a lot easier I find.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:02 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:24 pm
I've got Unify and have taken to creating presets in there so I can reuse combinations of plugins in any DAW I want by just opening Unify and finding the patch. If you have decent go to effects outside of the instruments it makes life a lot easier I find.
Normally I'd agree. A strength of Pigments is the modulation and it can be applied to the FX in patch. So in this case an embedded IR verb would be preferable and more frequently used than trying to split modulation across plugins in another host. I've done quite a bit of that in Live use MFL, but, I think a strength of Pigments is the U/I and MFL, or other sub-hotsts, can't really compete. I suppose that Bitwig might be better, but, that's a lot of studio drama just to mitigate the oversight of an IR reverb in a synth that's just asking for one.

So for one example of why your solution isn't as good, look no further than sharing soundsets with others. An embedded IR verb would improve the product with respect to the applications that I think that it's useful for.

Pigments and Unify are a match made in heaven. Also, the Spectrum sound packs are being unified as we post.

If I already own U-He Hive 2, will Pigments 3 be a good option to buy or will I have a mostly the same but different looking/programmable synth?
At the beginning of something beautiful...

P3 has sample and additive engines in addition. Plus more modulation options. Plus other goodies.

Dust_NL wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:10 am If I already own U-He Hive 2, will Pigments 3 be a good option to buy or will I have a mostly the same but different looking/programmable synth?
I didn’t like Hive at all (too harsh and brittle saws for me) but I love Pigments as it can sound warm and organic.

Dark Lights wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:14 am P3 has sample and additive engines in addition. Plus more modulation options. Plus other goodies.
Do you own both? If so, do you think they’ll complement each other or can Pigments do what Hive does PLUS the extra features?

BTW, I own Hive 2, NI Massive, Iris 2 and Cherry Audio DCO-106. I don’t want too many synths just to own them.

Fleer wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:20 am I didn’t like Hive at all (too harsh and brittle saws for me) but I love Pigments as it can sound warm and organic.
So in your opinion, they sound very different? Did you discard Hive in favor of Pigments?

I personally would, but I just didn’t gel with Hive, although I had a great talk with one of its talented patch developers at MusikMesse, Howard Scarr, and I really tried to love it. Bought and sold. Maybe I’m just not a saw kinda guy.
Not saying Pigments is analog warm. It’s still highly digital and some people, like the amazing John ‘Skippy’ Lehmkuhl from PlugInGuru fame, consider it rather cold, but I find it broad and organic.

Hmmm… IMO Hive sounds great, but you made me more curious about Pigments.

Dust_NL wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:54 am Did you discard Hive in favor of Pigments?
I didn't and would never. I prefer Hive 2 much more than Pigments. While Pigments is a lot of fun to program it has struggled to find a place in any of my projects.

You'd be well advised to try both demos to find out which one you like best or if you like them both.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Indeed. It’s definitely a taste thing. If you’re more into EDM, dance or industrial, I’d recommend Hive, though Pigments can do that too. Actually, it’s the harmonic engine of Pigments 3 that won me over. But I also love Kilohearts Phase Plant in the same vein. And do try Razor if you like Hive.

Return to “Instruments”