2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sprnva wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:21 am My finger is hovering over the checkout button on an M1 Mac Mini. Somebody tell me not to do it!
Only reason I'd tell you not to do it would be to wait and see if we get M2 Minis in the next few months.
Yes, it's really this. I wasn't going to buy one at first, thinking that I could wait. It's likely though that the M2 won't be out until the Fall at the earliest and perhaps the best that we could hope for is the M1X at WWDC with products a bit later.

The question isn't really about should I get an M2 mac mini, I probably will. The question is will I feel guilty about buying two new macs this year instead of just one? I suppose I could sell the M1, but if I'm honest, I can't be assed to sell computers, I just move them into different spots.

OTOH, if I buy an M1 mac now, and it gets the job done in the limited role of being my main studio machine, I may not want an M2 mac, which will be more expensive, and I may be able to wait for an M3 mac mini where it might get a redesign that I approve of more.

elxsound wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:07 pm
pekbro wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:34 pm The Rosie sounds weirdly good for some reason imo, and the send is nice and cue useful. Maybe not the best output module available, still a very good and handy one.
yeah it has uses, just as an output alone, not awesome. cool for crossfading between the two inputs for example, but no stereo inputs.

depends on needs of course.
I picked up Rosie after finding it new on AnalogueHeaven. You can use it for stereo inputs... just patch the stereo signal to the returns and you can still mix that with your mono summed A/B signals using the return level and level knobs respectively.
I found a 6 year old make noise video and this was their response as the questions were the same about making the A/B stereo, which obviously you can’t change.

Rosie is my lil sis’ family nick name (and she’s still a baby compared to us aging brothers) so this will be cool for a similar reason. Not quite granddaughter cool but still cool.

For the Doepfer one, is it the Module A-138d?

I don’t need it yet, but I’ll keep in mind as I integrate the pedals more.

a139 a cfx. :)

im not saying rosie is useless :hihi:
just not great as an out module for bigger mixes, thats all i was trying to say :)

does come in handy, at times i admit :D

pekbro wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 am I would look seriously at the STO, I use it for tons of stuff and hardly ever use it directly as a VCO.
You can modulate with it, track and sync to it. It has a sine waveform, it sounds great is small
and relatively cheap. I need to get a few more of them actually. Of course there are alternatives
as well. But I like the STO.
yup, nice little simple oscillator :tu:
the sub oscillator mixed with either of the others sounds very fat! :party:

I love the STO. I moved mine into the Shared System recently and it really adds a lot.

vurt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:05 pm
pekbro wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 am I would look seriously at the STO, I use it for tons of stuff and hardly ever use it directly as a VCO.
You can modulate with it, track and sync to it. It has a sine waveform, it sounds great is small
and relatively cheap. I need to get a few more of them actually. Of course there are alternatives
as well. But I like the STO.
yup, nice little simple oscillator :tu:
the sub oscillator mixed with either of the others sounds very fat! :party:
I think I'm going to head this way. I really like the idea of staying within the Make Noise paradigm and I like the idea of getting more than one of these too. I'm going to start building on modular grid what this would look like.

I'm leaning towards getting Mimeophon right now. The 2nd hand upsell is a bit nuts and I'd like to avoid it later on. I have a feeling the first wave of Make Noise restocks in June/July will include the Morphagene and other bits that have been hard to find, while things that are available now will then become the hard-to-find ones.

I have no insight on MI Blade restocks, but I saw an up-sell used one available for less than 10 minutes on Reverb.

vurt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:03 pm im not saying rosie is useless :hihi:
just not great as an out module for bigger mixes, thats all i was trying to say :)

does come in handy, at times i admit :D
No worries... for bigger mixes I plan on using the BlueBox for now. I don't think I have to worry too much about a dedicated module until I settle on a bigger setup.

I wanted a stereo I/O with its own level. The bonus is the mono A/B and send which is still going to be useful

vurt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:03 pm

not trying to be an arse, but are you sure? I thought you had the A-138D, same as me?

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:16 pm
vurt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:03 pm

not trying to be an arse, but are you sure? I thought you had the A-138D, same as me?

no definitely a 138 a cfx.
4 of em!
(i do seem to have typed 139 there though)

scratch that :oops:
now ive stood up and looked, it is a d! :oops:

Oops, saw your edit.

Yeah, 138D is what Ive got (2 of), that's why I was so confused.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Fri May 07, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

yeah i think all the 138s have mixer type functions?

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:22 pm Oops, saw your edit.

Yeah, 138D is what Ive got (3 of), that's why I was so confused.
im at a weird angle here, and its grey on grey.
thats my excuse anyway!
nothing to do with being about two years late for a specsavers appointment :lol:

vurt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:24 pm yeah i think all the 138s have mixer type functions?
Yup. And all the 135s, too.

I used to have a few A-119s and A-138Ds as well. Lots of functions in a small amount of space.
Now I'm a posh bastard and I mostly use Radial EXTCs for interfacing with pedals. That way my pedal chains are part of my patch bays (and Dante network), like everything else.

I think wr and I discussed it before but I think it's pretty easy to get more headroom and a little less noise by swapping the ICs in the A-119s and A-138s, with better opamps. I think the ics on the A-138s aren't socketed, so maybe easy isn't the right word. It's a drop in replacement on the A-119s.
Last edited by justin3am on Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justin3am wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:48 pm I think wr and I discussed it before but I think it's pretty easy to get more headroom and a little less noise by swapping the ICs in the A-119s and A-138s, with better pampas. I think the ics on the A-138s aren't socketed, so maybe easy isn't the right word. It's a drop in replacement on the A-119s.
Yup, though of course I never did get around to it myself. Sigh.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”