Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

This was much more current.
And Omni's regularly listed MAP is $479 at so many places and has been for longer than those previous scenarios I listed have been.
So yeah, I continue to wonder who really paid more than that or why so few even question that. Seems to me that enough purchases made by some for even less would inspire others to at least look for a better price. Or is it the OU812 psychology taking place where anyone paying less than the $499 is some kind of heretic towards the church?

Dunno, maybe you could get a psych you know to write a paper on it.

And to get your stellar price OP would have to wait until o3 was about to drop, no? Seems like possibly a long wait.

Seems like the 440ish area is sweet if you don't then have to pay shipping.
Last edited by revvy on Sat May 08, 2021 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Or those of us that know, can just joke among ourselves. And do our best to stay away from that 80% cult.

Such sage. Very enigma.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

:D

HF, Is a 6 year old synth still good, who is Led Zep, what is a Dodge Challenger? Is the value of something now questionable 2 years after release? Not everything is an iPhone. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

revvy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:20 am And to get your stellar price OP would have to wait until o3 was about to drop, no? Seems like possibly a long wait.

Seems like the 440ish area is sweet if you don't then have to pay shipping.
Yes, that would be sweet indeed. Not sure if it would make sense to wait for Omnisphere 3. It may well be an indefinite one. Damn!

Dunno if it has been said as an option yet: JRR Shop applies a good discount if you use the code 'forum', additional $52 off their original discounted price.

revvy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 am Dunno if it has been said as an option yet: JRR Shop applies a good discount if you use the code 'forum', additional $52 off their original discounted price.
Yes, I am eyeing that only and it looks like the best option for me. :tu:

Can anyone just tell me that Omnisphere 3 will never be released? I will believe you. :hihi:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:24 am Can anyone just tell me that Omnisphere 3 will never be released? I will believe you. :hihi:
Ha!

Here's what I know - pretty much every piece of speculation that's ever been written about Spectrasonics has turned out to be wrong. New products appear when you least expect them, and when they do they won't be what you think they are. The most recent was small but lovely - they updated their Moog Tribute library for Omni. Totally free update. The Hardware Integration for Omni was similarly out of the blue. The last new product was Keyscape, which literally no-one saw coming. It's like they operate out of a forgotten backwater of the CIA.

A lot of people resent Spectrasonics fans, calling it a cult etc. It's a stupid, mealy-mouthed criticism broadly, but maybe they are glimpsing something even if they don't understand it. There isn't really another company like them. If you bought into Omni early on, you've had years and years of huge free upgrades arriving like lottery wins. It feels that random. But it's undeniably lovely. The pricing policies means a whole set of low level consumer resentfulness about how their purchase is now worth a tenth of what they paid just doesn't exist. Of these things, loyalty is made.

You can't take the good without the bad though, past performance is no guarantee of future prospects and all that. If you bought Stylus five years ago - probably more - you won't have anything new to show for it. "We haven't forgotten about rhythm" is the official line, and anything beyond that is noise. Some of their policies are positively maddening, the quirks of the mostly excellent tagging system still drive me crazy and will likely never be addressed. They just do things their own way. I doubt they know what a focus group is, they don't listen to the baying masses.

Overall for me the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. But never believe anyone who tells you what the future holds...
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I personally doubt that a version 3 is close by. I only stated that as there were ways at times to get it cheaper.
Seems like the current prices your seeing at BH and JRR might be your best bet if the GAS is winning. Otherwise, I'll remind again that maybe there'll be a KVR auction in about 5 months...

I also don't see anyone resenting the cult "fans" of Omni. More the other way around of them resenting those not paying the same homage to it as they expect.
I just rarely see them offering anything useful to the conversation. Just their personal testamonials in the congregation.

I think many are hoping more for a Stylus upgrade at this point. But some have started Omni v3 wishlist threads as well.

It's like a master class in tortured analogy. Bravo!

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:24 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:24 am Can anyone just tell me that Omnisphere 3 will never be released? I will believe you. :hihi:
Ha!

Here's what I know - ...
Well said. Thanks for your time to share your views. People like you who have been their customers for a long time can definitely say a few things based on the experience. Of course, nothing can be taken for granted, but it's better to know for someone like me who's new to them. I think the best would be forget about the future and just think about the present. This whole point of Omnisphere 3 and in general about what's coming from them seems unnecessary, especially due to the way they operate. Worst thing that can happen is that I may miss out on the free upgrade, which is completely fine, especially considering the fact that once you upgrade, you can't resell your product. At least that's what I understand from the following FAQ:
If I upgrade my Spectrasonics Virtual Instrument through a special upgrade program offered by Spectrasonics, can I later resell and transfer the license of the original instrument?

No. Customers who participate in a special upgrade program for any Spectrasonics Virtual Instrument are not eligible to transfer the original license. For example, if an original owner of Stylus Classic takes advantage of our special upgrade program to Stylus RMX, he is not permitted to resell their Stylus Classic license.
Could anyone please confirm if my understanding above is correct?

So, the only thing I can do is to save for Omnisphere 2 and in the meantime it will also allow me to think if I really want it. Once money is in hand and decision is made, I will not wait.

Means if you upgrade from X to X +1 you can't then sell X, you'd have to sell X + 1 no?

BBFG# wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 am I personally doubt that a version 3 is close by. I only stated that as there were ways at times to get it cheaper.
Seems like the current prices your seeing at BH and JRR might be your best bet if the GAS is winning. Otherwise, I'll remind again that maybe there'll be a KVR auction in about 5 months...
5 months will be a long wait I think. :) Also, there is no guarantee it will considerable cheaper than the price I can get it for now. The bids will always be high for such a popular product.

Return to “Instruments”