machinesworking wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:24 pm
jancivil wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:12 pm
machinesworking wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:33 pm
jancivil wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 pm
If I happened into a working studio and found REAPER on their machines, I would be very surprised. I'd be less surprised to see SAWSTUDIO if we're talking too yoogly to go out the house during the day
A good friend Tad, runs a studio here using Reaper and Studio One. He loves Reaper, except the comping.
Sorry, that was just a setup for the punchline SAWSTUDIO
which is also ok by me but if it wants to get laid it had better be stacked with cash
He's married, so he doesn't get laid by law.
Well if he wants any chance at a girlfriend he's going to have to ditch Reaper.

KVRAF
3389 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Tue May 04, 2021 7:50 pm

ghettosynth wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:52 pm
machinesworking wrote:
jancivil wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:12 pm
machinesworking wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:33 pm
jancivil wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 pm
If I happened into a working studio and found REAPER on their machines, I would be very surprised. I'd be less surprised to see SAWSTUDIO if we're talking too yoogly to go out the house during the day
A good friend Tad, runs a studio here using Reaper and Studio One. He loves Reaper, except the comping.
Sorry, that was just a setup for the punchline SAWSTUDIO
which is also ok by me but if it wants to get laid it had better be stacked with cash
It’s definitely the neckbeards DAW of choice.

KVRist
377 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 pm

Going back to Reason from WSs was kind of accidental. I had a modular fever at some point and wanted to make something semi-generative with a lot of probability stuff. I could make something on both Fantom and MPC One, but I did not want to buy a whole Eurorack set up for the rest, I just turned to the best modular DAW I knew and got attatched to it again. I know there are some modular options in other DAWs too, but I know of none in which I can flip to the backside of the units and just use virtual cables the same way I would use real ones with hardware. So much better than symbolic representation to me like the Nord Modular's editor or whatever. Now my Nord Modular is gone, and Reason rules any modular cravings. I cannot see myself use any other. I have uninstalled Logic Pro X from my Macs, because I do not use it at all.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154
"First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or obligue motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

KVRAF
21979 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Wed May 05, 2021 4:25 am

"but if it wants to get laid it had better be stacked with cash/He's married, so he doesn't get laid by law."

I said "it". SAWSTUDIO better be able to pay for it because too ugly

KVRer
6 posts since 6 May, 2021

Post Thu May 06, 2021 8:49 am

I would say stick to one DAW. Learn it to hell and back. End of story. You can spend a lot of time searching for a perfect solution, but there isn't one.

KVRAF
12824 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 am

machinesworking wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:50 pm
ghettosynth wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:52 pm
machinesworking wrote:
It’s definitely the neckbeards DAW of choice.
What else are they going to use that's going to have any IRC-cred and won't cut into the Mountain Dew budget?

KVRAF
1869 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Fri May 07, 2021 7:20 am

MarkTekk wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:49 am
I would say stick to one DAW. Learn it to hell and back. End of story. You can spend a lot of time searching for a perfect solution, but there isn't one.
Actually, there's really no reason why you can't learn to use more than one DAW, it may even be a requirement, depending on the route you wish to go down. But it's important to pick the right DAW for yourself and you won't know that unless you explore your options. In that sense, there is a perfect solution, even if it doesn't have every conceivable feature that you want. It's important to choose a DAW that hasn't stagnated in development and is moving forward if you really want the features you desire from a company that actively listens to it's users.
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source Transcend Into Software - Hardware - Music - 2D & 3D Art - Film - Games - VST's - Ensembles - GUI Design - Science & Technology | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

KVRer
6 posts since 6 May, 2021

Post Sat May 08, 2021 5:13 am

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:20 am
MarkTekk wrote:
Actually, there's really no reason why you can't learn to use more than one DAW, it may even be a requirement, depending on the route you wish to go down. But it's important to pick the right DAW for yourself and you won't know that unless you explore your options. In that sense, there is a perfect solution, even if it doesn't have every conceivable feature that you want. It's important to choose a DAW that hasn't stagnated in development and is moving forward if you really want the features you desire from a company that actively listens to it's users.
Thats a great counter argument. You are right. I see a lot of people can't decide which daw to pick so they jump from one to the next, never truly satisfied with any. That's why i said its better to stick with one and learn that one well and then brench out if you have too. I would rather master one DAW then know 4 of em to an OK degree. But that's just me i guess.

KVRAF
12824 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sat May 08, 2021 7:10 am

THE INTRANCER wrote:
But it's important to pick the right DAW for yourself and you won't know that unless you explore your options. In that sense, there is a perfect solution, even if it doesn't have every conceivable feature that you want.
I think that it's fair to argue that one should keep the number low and, if you do use more than one, that your reasons for doing so are reasonably focused so that you get to know the features that matter to your use case for each choice.

KVRist
103 posts since 7 Nov, 2009 from DC

Post Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 pm

if I'm more of a modern music producer I would look at-FL, Logic X, and Ableton. These seem to be the top three. For mixing/mastering Pro Tools.

But depends on what you are doing.

KVRAF

Post Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 pm

wuworld wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:38 pm
if I'm more of a modern music producer I would look at-FL, Logic X, and Ableton. These seem to be the top three. For mixing/mastering Pro Tools.

But depends on what you are doing.
For "modern" (read electronic) music I would put Bitwig and Logic at the top, and include Reason in your list as well.

For mixing/mastering the old school DAWs in general: PT, DP, Cubase, Logic, Reaper, and Studio One.

For film: Cubase, DP, Logic. (Live sort of in there for video DJ work, PT sort of in there for ingrained in the process reasons.)

Live performance: Live, DP, Bitwig.

For production work (i.e. templates for TV shows, VEP set ups etc.): DP, Nuendo/Cubase, Reaper, Logic.

I don't know Sonar well enough to evaluate it's place, and Studio One could be misrepresented as well. The other ones I feel familiar enough with to be comfortable with this layout.

KVRAF
6482 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Darkest Kent, UK

Post Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm

I love Reaper, cheap and capable as someone said but certainly has that barebones mentality about it, reminds me of Gimp in a way, does everything pretty much but prepare for dialogue diving, maybe custom scripts etc.

So my big criticism: automation editing. There are scripts that let you add a shape to an automation lane (LFO Generator) and others that scale automation points one way or the other, even a processor that allows you to 'fade' a shape etc but it's all dialogue based. Enter the parameters, hit apply, not what you want? Ctrl Z and try again. Compared to the transform(?) tool on something like Studio One, it's beyond primitive.

I hear noises that the recent razor editing addition had more advanced editing in early alphas that was sidelined, hopefully something that will make an appearance at some point.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

KVRAF

Post Sat May 08, 2021 11:06 pm

MarkTekk wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:13 am
THE INTRANCER wrote:
MarkTekk wrote:
Thats a great counter argument. You are right. I see a lot of people can't decide which daw to pick so they jump from one to the next, never truly satisfied with any. That's why i said its better to stick with one and learn that one well and then brench out if you have too. I would rather master one DAW then know 4 of em to an OK degree. But that's just me i guess.
I agree with this, having still not landed after MPE threw me into buying or upgrading more than the two I was using forever (Digital Performer and Live), it's been a strange year or so. Knowing two DAWs in and out isn't that hard, but I'm at this point where I know five in and out, but still have not mastered a super fast workflow in the three that landed here for MPE evaluation.

So the problem becomes it's looking like I'm ditching Live for Bitwig for the most part, and I'm sticking with DP, but spent a solid year learning Reaper and it's become a collaboration DAW with a few musical partners, so whether it's my main DAW or not I'll be using it from time to time. Then there's Logic, it's hard to ignore if you're on Mac OS, the feature set is mind blowing at times, the included instruments IMO are for the most part better than Komplete, barring maybe Kontakt and Reaktor, but much easier to navigate.

I seriously do not understand polyamorous people? my allegiances are all screwy right now, and I'm hoping the coming DP11 upgrade makes me ditch the rest except for collaborations. Plus I have an acknowledged thing for underdogs. :box:

More to the point though, there's something about Bitwig and Live that the others don't really do well, the uninterrupted audio engine thing, where you can throw a shit ton of things at them while they're running and they don't hiccup, plus the straightforward approach. I probably will never use them alone without an old school DAW for mixing, mastering, film, and large template work, but they're a lot of fun for sound design and electronic music in general. So to me having at least two DAWs has never been something strange. I was running Reason rewired into Logic in the early 2000's etc.

KVRAF

Post Sat May 08, 2021 11:11 pm

GaryG wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm
I love Reaper, cheap and capable as someone said but certainly has that barebones mentality about it, reminds me of Gimp in a way, does everything pretty much but prepare for dialogue diving, maybe custom scripts etc.

So my big criticism: automation editing. There are scripts that let you add a shape to an automation lane (LFO Generator) and others that scale automation points one way or the other, even a processor that allows you to 'fade' a shape etc but it's all dialogue based. Enter the parameters, hit apply, not what you want? Ctrl Z and try again. Compared to the transform(?) tool on something like Studio One, it's beyond primitive.

I hear noises that the recent razor editing addition had more advanced editing in early alphas that was sidelined, hopefully something that will make an appearance at some point.
To be fair Reaper pre v6 was just dog shit automation wise, especially editing, it's leaps and bounds better in 6. Still has a long way to go though. That and comping are what killed my enthusiasm with Reaper, beyond that I pimped it out in a way that really appeals to me. Plus, the other old school DAWs I own Logic and Digital Performer have Clip views, Reapers is a piss poor script.

Everyone should look at Reapers audio bounce/rendering features and feel very very ashamed though. Just by far the best most well thought out choices and set up of any DAW I've seen or used.

KVRAF
6482 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Darkest Kent, UK

Post Sun May 09, 2021 1:19 am

machinesworking wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:11 pm
To be fair Reaper pre v6 was just dog shit automation wise, especially editing, it's leaps and bounds better in 6. Still has a long way to go though. That and comping are what killed my enthusiasm with Reaper, beyond that I pimped it out in a way that really appeals to me. Plus, the other old school DAWs I own Logic and Digital Performer have Clip views, Reapers is a piss poor script.
Maybe I've missed something in v6 but wasn't aware of major changes to the automation, I'll have a google (in my defence, only upgraded a couple of weeks back :))

I've tried some scripts for clip functionality but ultimately if I intended heavy loop/clip action (rare for me) I fire up Live, much simpler.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”