E-Phonic Invader 2 v1.0.7 (WIN / OSX)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
3085 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Wed May 05, 2021 3:53 am

e-phonic wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:05 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:38 pm
Apart from very nice pads, it also makes funny 80's basses, unexpected from a relatively simple analog synth:
https://app.box.com/s/c2mfivz7xbvke9xq2xpg3zsbe8hix18z
Sounds cool! :D
Yes It would sound even better if, when using the mono retrigger mode, the filter and amp velocity of the first note would not be forced on the following notes as long as I keep the first one pressed. In Retrologue 2 all new notes react to velocity separately and only the first note keeps the original velocity values, which sounds much more dynamic and not as robotic.

KVRian

Topic Starter

627 posts since 16 Sep, 2002 from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Post Sat May 08, 2021 5:06 am

UPDATE v1.0.3
  • Fix: spacebar no longer captured by plugin
  • Fix: opening a Ableton (Windows) project with scaled UI now works properly
https://www.e-phonic.com/invader.html

User avatar
KVRAF
3085 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sat May 08, 2021 9:55 am

e-crooner wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:51 am
e-phonic wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:08 am
e-crooner wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:11 am
Can I use two different email addresses for license recipient and Paypal payer? 8)
You can only specify 1 email address atm I'm afraid.
To get back to this, what happens if I enter a certain e-mail address on the Information page (the first page of the payment process) and then pay with Paypal using different e-mail address? 8)
I tried that yesterday, it worked fine, I bought two licenses, one for basses and one for pads :hihi:

KVRian

Topic Starter

627 posts since 16 Sep, 2002 from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Post Sat May 08, 2021 10:54 am

e-crooner wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:55 am
I tried that yesterday, it worked fine, I bought two licenses, one for basses and one for pads :hihi:
:o :D

User avatar
KVRAF
4593 posts since 25 Dec, 2004

Post Sat May 08, 2021 11:47 am

bought
really hoping for a vst/vst3 version for OSX !!

User avatar
KVRAF
3085 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sat May 08, 2021 1:54 pm

e-phonic wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:54 am
e-crooner wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:55 am
I tried that yesterday, it worked fine, I bought two licenses, one for basses and one for pads :hihi:
:o :D
:)

I noticed something which sounds weird to me. Has to do with the arp, the way it interacts with the envelopes. Especially the filter attack, but I am not sure. When you keep a note pressed and slowly reduce the filter attack there comes a point at which it starts to sound right.

https://app.box.com/s/44qrp83duag2tferm65v6zkfvx1o8d71

I compared it to the Tal J-8, which sounds correct to me.

User avatar
KVRist
444 posts since 6 Mar, 2013

Post Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 pm

I’ve finally had time to sit down and play Invader. The presets, holy smokes this feels ******* fantastic. To the point I feel guilty for what I paid for this synth. I’m might buy another too.

KVRian

Topic Starter

627 posts since 16 Sep, 2002 from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Post Sat May 08, 2021 10:25 pm

e-crooner wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:54 pm
I noticed something which sounds weird to me. Has to do with the arp, the way it interacts with the envelopes. Especially the filter attack, but I am not sure. When you keep a note pressed and slowly reduce the filter attack there comes a point at which it starts to sound right.

https://app.box.com/s/44qrp83duag2tferm65v6zkfvx1o8d71

I compared it to the Tal J-8, which sounds correct to me.
Thanks for checking. I don't think it's incorrect behaviour. The envelope attack is rising slowly until the point the decay kicks in, then it starts over again. It sounds a bit weird indeed but I can get the exact same behaviour in the J8 and any other synth i've tried it with.

KVRian

Topic Starter

627 posts since 16 Sep, 2002 from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Post Sat May 08, 2021 10:25 pm

Everglide wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 pm
I’ve finally had time to sit down and play Invader. The presets, holy smokes this feels ******* fantastic. To the point I feel guilty for what I paid for this synth. I’m might buy another too.
:D

User avatar
KVRAF
1839 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Sun May 09, 2021 12:13 am

Would it be possible to add one or two larger interfaces. It's ok as it is now, running in 100% scale in Windows 10, with a 21:9 screen with the resolution 3840x1600. But I'm getting older, vision is getting worse, and at the same time, screen resolutions are getting higher 😁
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

User avatar
KVRAF
3085 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 am

e-phonic wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:25 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:54 pm
I noticed something which sounds weird to me. Has to do with the arp, the way it interacts with the envelopes. Especially the filter attack, but I am not sure. When you keep a note pressed and slowly reduce the filter attack there comes a point at which it starts to sound right.

https://app.box.com/s/44qrp83duag2tferm65v6zkfvx1o8d71

I compared it to the Tal J-8, which sounds correct to me.
Thanks for checking. I don't think it's incorrect behaviour. The envelope attack is rising slowly until the point the decay kicks in, then it starts over again. It sounds a bit weird indeed but I can get the exact same behaviour in the J8 and any other synth i've tried it with.
That's weird because I can't reproduce that behavior in J8 at all. Could you give us a patch?

I think I found out what is wrong with your synth: when the attack and/or decay are longer than they are given time by the arp timing, the note is cut off abruptly, which causes those harsh bumps and inconsistent behavior. As if your synth used only a single voice for all arp notes.
In J8 that is not the case. So, when you choose too slow attack times, the sound almost disappears because each note that the arp triggers starts both envelopes anew the way it should be. So there never is time for any note to open the filter.

KVRian

Topic Starter

627 posts since 16 Sep, 2002 from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Post Sun May 09, 2021 10:29 am

[Duplicate post deleted]
Last edited by e-phonic on Sun May 09, 2021 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRian

Topic Starter

627 posts since 16 Sep, 2002 from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Post Sun May 09, 2021 10:34 am

e-crooner wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 am
That's weird because I can't reproduce that behavior in J8 at all. Could you give us a patch?
See attached.
e-crooner wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 am
As if your synth used only a single voice for all arp notes.
That's the case indeed, Invader is always in mono mode when the Arp is active.
Maybe that's what you are hearing. But it's expected behaviour for the envelope to respond like this when it's in monophonic mode.

The monophonic behaviour was by design and is needed to create the 'unconventional' option to send the pitch of the ARP only to specific oscillators (the pitch to all / 1 / 2 / ... options)
The behaviour keeps the unaffected oscillator on the pitch of the first note that is pressed (until all notes are released) while the affected oscillator plays the ARP sequence. This makes it possible to create duophonic arp sequences.
I know, it's pretty unconventional, but I like it :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
KVRAF
3085 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sun May 09, 2021 11:25 am

e-phonic wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:34 am
e-crooner wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 am
That's weird because I can't reproduce that behavior in J8 at all. Could you give us a patch?
See attached.
e-crooner wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 am
As if your synth used only a single voice for all arp notes.
That's the case indeed, Invader is always in mono mode when the Arp is active.
Maybe that's what you are hearing. But it's expected behaviour for the envelope to respond like this when it's in monophonic mode.
The difference is that you deliberately set the voice count in J8 to 1.
But when you set it to some multiple value, the arp behavior in J8 clearly changes, allowing for instance for release. In your synth it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I set the number of voices to 1 or 8.

User avatar
KVRAF
3085 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sun May 09, 2021 11:29 am

Oh, I see you have added something to your post.

I am not into duophonic and exotic stuff. I like to keep it simple.

I like your synth because of its base sound, I will simply not use the arp then because it sounds wrong to me...

Return to “Instruments”