Best resynthesis instrument?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vertigo

Resetti wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:29 am For what its worth, if you still have it laying around on your shelf, Cakewalk's Rapture Does a very nice resynthesis of samples, and yes, Harmor is still a favorite as well.
I have Rapture.. how does it re synthesise samples?

ChamomileShark wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:18 am
stevebard wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 am How many kinds of resynthesis are there- granular, wavetable, additive, spectral? what are their differences? What are they most useful for?
I seem to remember years back a kind of holy grail of resynthesis being to be able to eg enter a just a few (piano, vocal, flute, etc) samples of an instrument at a few different velocities and pitches and interpolate between them so as to create a realistic playable instrument? Has any progress been made here?
For me it's just the spectral which might use additive. Re the Holy Grail, I remember that in the 70s it was to be able to take the sound of a piano, stretch, pitch and more importantly change the harmonic structure. So for me, granular and wavetable aren't resynthesis.
granular is resynthesis, it is developed by a composer, it is was new way to compose (although there are people before xenakis that already did experiment with it).

a grain get special properties when it's size gets small. depends also on the source, but still.

in a wave editor you can already do granular composition/recomposition.

i believe it is still resynthesis.

but i agree that spectral is also quite interesting. i am discovering, studying, experimenting with additive, spectral (they aren't the same in the strict sense) and granular.

additive sources for granular.... or spectral sources... or additive sources with spectral 'editing' (is there a better word in english, treatment?). o well all you can do.

but grains. if you read about it, you will discover, that those particals will have other 'properties', than the source.

again, try it in a wave editor, select 200ms, then 100ms, then 10ms, for example, it depends on the source, and pitch (of course), what will happen, the sound changes. it seems not that spectacular as spectral... but it is quite a world (to see the world in a grain of sand...).

ok, so we disagree.

I'll remain with my position which is how the term was used back when I started to become interested in the subject back in the 70s. (yes I do know Xenakis "invented" the concept of granular back in the 60s).

Curtis Roads The Computer Music Tutorial talks about resynthesis in the chapter dealing with spectrum analysis. It explains that there are two methods for resynthesis but both involve analysis first and then recreating that sound, ie re-synthesis. After that you can make changes to the original sound.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:49 pm ok, so we disagree.

I'll remain with my position which is how the term was used back when I started to become interested in the subject back in the 70s. (yes I do know Xenakis "invented" the concept of granular back in the 60s).

Curtis Roads The Computer Music Tutorial talks about resynthesis in the chapter dealing with spectrum analysis. It explains that there are two methods for resynthesis but both involve analysis first and then recreating that sound, ie re-synthesis. After that you can make changes to the original sound.
ok, curtis roads microsounds. does not mention resynthesis, i think.
it is another realm. perhaps you are right. but it ís a special treatment of sound, recomposition is a better term? yes, the very strict definiton of synthesis, is analysis first.

with grain no analysis, in this strict sense, analysis 'afterwards' how a grain 'reacts', how it can be used.

(that it is also used for 'clouds', 'pads', is the real-time technogogy effect... but still padshop you can do granular...).

Sorry for the necro.

I'm looking for an alternative to Harmor since it's no longer available as a VST and this thread seemed like a good place.

Does Rapid allow to freeze and move the position of the playhead in the resynthesized engine?

Avenger V2 will include spectral resynthesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sEPqChN-tM

Harmor is being re-released with vst3 support and potentially more improvements according to one of the admins on the FL forum.

Thank you for "resurrecting" this interesting thread. Well, the best resynthesis tool I know is still Time Freezer:
http://www.timefreezer.net/
Its fidelity to the original is impressive and the VSTi / AUi version is particularly effective (much more than the VST/AU effect version). And, to pierb, yes, it is possible to freeze the audio and go to and fro through it at whatsoever speed, even very slowly, without losing fidelity.
Apple Alchemy, Loomer Cumulus, Photosounder (https://photosounder.com/ ) and GRM Tools Evolution are also very good.
Last edited by XComposer on Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Resynthesis is one of the key features of Icarus. It allows you to rebuild sounds in wav format with a mouse-click in high-quality.
https://www.tone2.com/icarus-resynthesis.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXNa70ea_iQ
(The video still shows the old Icarus1)

WasteLand wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:06 am
ChamomileShark wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:49 pm ok, so we disagree.

ok, curtis roads microsounds. does not mention resynthesis, i think.
it is another realm. perhaps you are right. but it ís a special treatment of sound, recomposition is a better term? yes, the very strict definiton of synthesis, is analysis first.

with grain no analysis, in this strict sense, analysis 'afterwards' how a grain 'reacts', how it can be used.

(that it is also used for 'clouds', 'pads', is the real-time technogogy effect... but still padshop you can do granular...).
I can't remember which book it was, but I've definitely read Roads' older work talk about how FFT/IFFT can be conceptualised as a special case of pitch-synchronous granular using a windowed sine wave as the base grain. His later Composing Electronic Music expands on this quite a lot with the discussion of matching pursuit based granular methods, where the reconstruction can select from an arbitrary dictionary of waveforms rather than just sine waves.

Even without the modern methods, granular is underestimated in its resynthesis capabilities when it comes to monophonic sounds. Kyma's famously desirable morphing has been around for something like 2 decades and is 'pure' granular IIRC.

I love Rapid's resynthesis. Icarus is also good.

In either, resynthesis is an import process. In Rapid, the result is a new sample. In Icarus, the result is a new wavetable. From there, you can do the same things you would always do in the corresponding synth. There is no special "resynthesis" mode in the oscillators themselves.

So in Rapid, for example, once you have your resynthesized sample imported, you use it just like any other sample. You can enable the granular engine, for example, and use it that way.

loom
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Logic Alchemy...

Falcon has a very good but probably the most cpu expensive resynthesis out with Ircam stretch

Halion and padshop seem to have some of the best.

+1 for timefreezer.
is this still available?
🇷🇺

Return to “Instruments”