Addictive Drums always boxy sound, how to make them sound good

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I noticed with addictive drums the presets that are more natural-like, not the extremely processed / electronic ones, always sound a little too boxy, I always cut out lots of midrange and still I can’t get them to sound good.
Last edited by TS-12 on Tue May 11, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

I haven't really exprienced the same thing.
But have a look in the parallel bus/reverb sections and try pulling those down. Sometimes it can feel like the direct channels are having minimal effect because there is so much room, overheads and parallel processing.

(Personally I like having plenty of overheads and mixing close mics into them, but it's not the most crispy modern style.)

Yeah, turn the overhead mics, room & reverb fx sends down, then you will get more of the pure drum sound. If they still sound boxy try to identify the specific frequency range that causes it and use a dynamic EQ band to reduce that tone.

Maybe they also sound boxy due to sub-optimal frequency response of your headphones / speakers? My headphones have subpar frequency response too, hence I use Toneboosters Morphit on the master to correct for the warped response.

Agreed with the previous suggestions, but I'd also look into the MTPower Drumkit by Manda audio tbh. It's a free one and honestly, I stopped using Addictive Drums entirely once I got it. =/

Yesterday I tried MT Power Drumkit, after trying many others, and I was sold:
- instant result-oriented workflow (click on a couple midi drum patterns, find the one you like, drag n'drop to DAW, done)
- very professional sounding samples (you can almost smell the studio these were recorded in)
- extremely well polished EQ/mastering on stock sounds
- If you remember Metallica, Black album's kick drums, these are very similar to those (Bob Scott production)

Agreed on MT PDK. It's basic, but a good overall sound.

I find most acoustic drum kits sound kinda boxy nowadays - pop music, at least, has moved to a more hyped sound. I like the basic sound of GGD architects, and then going from there, but everyone will have a different opinion. The best drum sound in the game is the Oliver Power Tools stuff on splice, but everyone uses them and they're not velocity kits or usable in the way acoustic kits are. Godspeed in finding the flavor you want!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”