Addictive Drums always boxy sound, how to make them sound good

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
KVRist
472 posts since 24 Apr, 2008 from USA

Post Mon May 10, 2021 3:59 pm

I noticed with addictive drums the presets that are more natural-like, not the extremely processed / electronic ones, always sound a little too boxy, I always cut out lots of midrange and still I can’t get them to sound good.
Last edited by TS-12 on Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
win10 x64. cubase 10 x64.
gigabyte z390 gaming x, i7-8700k, 32GB,
2x 2TB m.2 nvme SSD, 1x 2TB sata ssd.

KVRAF
1688 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Mon May 10, 2021 11:35 pm

I haven't really exprienced the same thing.
But have a look in the parallel bus/reverb sections and try pulling those down. Sometimes it can feel like the direct channels are having minimal effect because there is so much room, overheads and parallel processing.

(Personally I like having plenty of overheads and mixing close mics into them, but it's not the most crispy modern style.)

KVRist
368 posts since 15 Apr, 2020

Post Thu May 13, 2021 5:46 am

Yeah, turn the overhead mics, room & reverb fx sends down, then you will get more of the pure drum sound. If they still sound boxy try to identify the specific frequency range that causes it and use a dynamic EQ band to reduce that tone.

Maybe they also sound boxy due to sub-optimal frequency response of your headphones / speakers? My headphones have subpar frequency response too, hence I use Toneboosters Morphit on the master to correct for the warped response.

KVRer
27 posts since 22 May, 2020

Post Sun May 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Agreed with the previous suggestions, but I'd also look into the MTPower Drumkit by Manda audio tbh. It's a free one and honestly, I stopped using Addictive Drums entirely once I got it. =/
Like 80s Instrumental Guitar Tracks & Video Games? Storm The Fortress of Your Heart here.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”