The riffs you hate (and why you hate them)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:19 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:58 pm Van Halen Jump

if we are going obie related this early, does geddy lees voice count as a riff?
i really want to like rush, musically they are pretty damn good. but his voice has a cartoon character edge i can't ignore (in my mind anyway).
nothing to do with him, don't know the guy, just one of those voices that for me, gets in the way.

and im not anti falsetto in males, prince does a lot of that, the guy in mercury rev is up there too.
so i can't really explain why i don't like it, i just know i don't.

sorry geddy if you're reading this :shrug:
I have never really liked his voice, either, but he had compensatory qualities that allow me to overlook it.

Robert Plant, on the other hand....

Beat It

"Love Shack"--everything in that song is awful.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Another one bites the dust…

And the lyric sucks as much as the frickin’ riff.

The opening bass line in Owner of a Lonely Heart. It wouldn't bother me normally but a band next to ours in a practice studio, the bass player every, single, day, would play that riff.

I've always wanted to start a cover band of the absolute worst pop songs ever written. We Built This City, Life is a Highway, Boot Scoot Boogie, Skater Boy, etc. etc. Everyone would figure it out quick enough, but the fun part, with a long enough list, eventually we would play a song you're fond off! :hihi: Everyone likes at least one cheesy pop number.

I think the problem with some of these songs,besides every song machinesworking mentioned, is that they are so overplayed. I barely rate Owner of a Lonely heart as a Yes song (and the back story about it doesn't exactly force me to reconsider that opinion) but I think I've heard it,for various reasons,more than any of my favorite Yes songs.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

melomood wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:21 am I think the problem with some of these songs,besides every song machinesworking mentioned, is that they are so overplayed. I barely rate Owner of a Lonely heart as a Yes song (and the back story about it doesn't exactly force me to reconsider that opinion) but I think I've heard it,for various reasons,more than any of my favorite Yes songs.
Of course that's part of it, but even if you hardly heard Owner of a Lonely Heart it's a terrible song. Unfortunately for me it was one of the first ones I heard so I hated Yes until I heard Roundabout.

Yikes
(after pondering the idea of being introduced to Yes that way & not vice versa)
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

yeah, my thing there is overexposure

I like the really stupid riff like Zappa Muffin Man, or Owner of a Lonely Heart. (Easy to imagine getting sick of that.)
Zappa adopted the Owner riff ASAP, in his next tour it was the vamp for Bamboozled By Love for the guitar solo.

"Waiting on a Friend"

I had about forgotten about Yes by 1983. When they came out with that I was highly amused.
The song took a while to make, no one thought it was strong enough (except for the chorus and riff) before Anderson was brought back in and 'fixed' things.

Trevor Rabin came up with that riff on the john so if you wanna hate it, there's that

I don't hate it, but the synth riff on Rainbow in the Dark by Dio sort of annoys me as it kind of ruins an otherwise great track

The Cars' "You Might Think" opening keyboard riff. Blech.

Bruce Springsteen "Hungry Heart"--opening keyboard riff. I don't like the keyboard sound in Bruce Springsteen songs--never seems to fit a rock vibe for me.

I've never heard most of these :D

I never liked so many of these things, do not get me started

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”