Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

rezoneight wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:48 pmSubsequent 37 sounds different than the Mini and their other gear. But the information I was sharing came from the Moog Music forums over the last decade (first in regards to the Voyager).
I dunno, my bandmate has one and it sounds just like a Moog to me - huge oscillators, shit filter. I sure as hell wouldn't swap my Uno Pro for it, probably not even my original Uno.
trusampler wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:10 pmDoes Softube vsti not allow for program changes / assign midi controllers to change patches? Pretty basic design if so,I'm wondering how guys would perform live with this synth,without program changes.
You still have to have your computer running, so you'd just change it in your DAW.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 am
rezoneight wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:48 pmSubsequent 37 sounds different than the Mini and their other gear. But the information I was sharing came from the Moog Music forums over the last decade (first in regards to the Voyager).
I dunno, my bandmate has one and it sounds just like a Moog to me - huge oscillators, shit filter. I sure as hell wouldn't swap my Uno Pro for it, probably not even my original Uno.
Yeah we know bud, you hate the Moog filter ;) Yeah the Sub37 sounds like a Moog, that's one of the reasons I bought it. But it still sounds different from their other gear.

Don't know anything about the original Uno but the new one sounds bad ass. The desktop version is tempting. But this is a 106 thread.

Well, in that case, I'd definitely take the Subsequent 37 over any Juno.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

This emulation is the closest I've heard in software, and sounds great,in combination with my OB-6. Both sound really vintage. Thanks Matt Johnson for the presets,instant buy! Check out the JP3O Patches for this as well!
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:43 pm My demo is running out, the GAS has subsided. No filter FM input on the filter module is weak sauce.
Something about Softube really bothers me as a company. They are like the kings of authenticity in lieu of excitement. No doubt the Model 84 is as close as we can get to a Juno-106 without spending $3k, but that's about where it ends. I am still on the fence with this VST.

Also, as a sidenote, Softube should include, as a package deal, the Juno chorus as a standalone effect VST as well.

Something about Softube customers really bothers me.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:31 pm Something about Softube customers really bothers me.
😂

:D
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

2:43AM wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:21 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:43 pm My demo is running out, the GAS has subsided. No filter FM input on the filter module is weak sauce.
Something about Softube really bothers me as a company. They are like the kings of authenticity in lieu of excitement. No doubt the Model 84 is as close as we can get to a Juno-106 without spending $3k, but that's about where it ends. I am still on the fence with this VST.
Have to be honest, this doesn’t really make much sense. It sounds like a $3k synth and costs $100. Seems like a win to me.

stash98 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 am
Have to be honest, this doesn’t really make much sense. It sounds like a $3k synth and costs $100. Seems like a win to me.
Blasphemous I know, but, the Juno 106 is only a $3k synth because FOMO.

stash98 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 am Have to be honest, this doesn’t really make much sense. It sounds like a $3k synth and costs $100. Seems like a win to me.
I agree that it sounds just like a Juno 106. If they go for $3k these days, that's wild, imo. I don't own any hardware Junos anymore, but I paid about $200 for my first one a long, long time ago.

Regardless of what they cost these days, this plugin in great in my opinion.

stash98 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 am
$79 if you add the other coupon code. That was the clincher for me.

the fact the there is no fx version (there was for Model 72), and avoiding adding a 2nd envelope or similar basic features, shows that softube is trying to push people to use it within modular. There it will go from being an extremely limited (though sounding great) emulation, to a very flexible configuration where everything is possible and then you'd also be able to use the various components for fx.

All well and good, except I'm not sure any of the individual components are worth writing home about. The magic seems to me to be in the fact that the Juno 106 is more than the sum of its parts. Yes, an extra envelope would be handy but since I realised I can just gate the VCA, it doesn't worry me too much any more. But I could never imagine wanting to use just the osc or just the filter from a synth like this, they are way too generic, I think.

Of the extra features, a second envelope should have been the first thing put in it. The sound is incredible, but both Arturia and Roland Cloud provided an extra envelope which can be used to great effect. Makes it a much more versatile synth and you can still switch it out if you want it to be just like the original.

The Softube is the closest sounding to my original. Just wish it gave me some features the original didn't have (and of course the aftertouch they provided is appreciated).

Return to “Instruments”