Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

E_Anderson wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 am
Fleer wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:41 pm So Pigments 3 came in like a breath of fresh air. Not many organic synths around, sadly. Here's hoping Phase Plant will also continue in that direction (even though it's bass-heavy too, but the Suspension sound pack is showing what it can do with organic wavetables).
What exactly do you think Phase Plant is missing in order to achieve more “organic sound” compared to something like Pigments?
My point being that Phase Plant already does “organic” so I would like them to continue in that direction with more wavetable sound packs like Suspension (and less bass oriented packs).

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:42 am
3ptguitarist wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 am I made a short comparison of sound between Diva, Massive X, and Pigments using the same sounding patch based on Van Halen's 1984 filter sweep. I didn't put a huge amount of effort into this, so please give me a break lol. Which do you think sounds the best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l9y2APu_0g
Good comparison. :tu:

Diva sounds the fattest (perhaps that's the reference preset here for recreation?). Massive X and Pigments were about the same in the low end, and while both sounded great, Pigments sounds surprisingly good for this type of sound. Massive X seems to have less resonance compared to others and still doesn't have that fatness - I wonder it is something to do with the recreation of the patch?
Yeah the Diva patch the reference patch. I don't know how to use Massive X so I just messed around and tried to recreate the sound. Perhaps there's a way to make it sound much better.

Well no surprise that Diva scores high as a pure VA model. 1984 was performed with an Oberheim analog synth.

So in all fairness, Pigments was never intended to replicate that...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Fleer wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:38 pm My point being that Phase Plant already does “organic” so I would like them to continue in that direction with more wavetable sound packs like Suspension (and less bass oriented packs).
Especially with granular on the way/already pseudo-there. Agreed on the leaning away from bass music presets.

zzz00m wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:13 pm Well no surprise that Diva scores high as a pure VA model. 1984 was performed with an Oberheim analog synth.

So in all fairness, Pigments was never intended to replicate that...
Which is one of the main reasons why I love Pigments.

E_Anderson wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:20 am
Fleer wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:38 pm My point being that Phase Plant already does “organic” so I would like them to continue in that direction with more wavetable sound packs like Suspension (and less bass oriented packs).
Especially with granular on the way/already pseudo-there. Agreed on the leaning away from bass music presets.
Good to hear :tu:

pixel85 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:58 am
3ptguitarist wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 am I made a short comparison of sound between Diva, Massive X, and Pigments using the same sounding patch based on Van Halen's 1984 filter sweep. I didn't put a huge amount of effort into this, so please give me a break lol. Which do you think sounds the best?

Diva is the fattest indeed. Very nice 'squelch' of the filter - yummy.
Then MX - I would change the filter (Asimov is 'proud to be digital' and I think that Monark filter is much better). A bit of low-end EQ would probably get it closer to Diva's bottom.
Pigments is losing (mediocre) bottom very fast - it has the sound of an 'old vst synth' (or last-gen vst synth I should say?) - it's ok. No 'wow' effect.

it's not a big deal. Probably most people would say that they can't hear any difference or it would sound the same on a busy track. For me personally, the difference is huge enough to choose Diva and MX over Pigments for VA sound.
I tried using the monark filter and it does sound better. I still don't know how to use massive x. There are a lot of sound shaping knobs and stuff lol.

tactile_coast wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:54 am
Interesting comparison though I note that on Diva you are using a classic analog filter where on Pigments you are using the default clean multimode filter. If you want a classic analog sound look on the filters tab, where you will find accurately modelled analog filters borrowed from V collection. You can choose from Moog ladder, SEM, Matrix, Roland Jupiter or Buchla filters. It would be interesting to see the same comparison when correctly matching the same type of filter across the synths.
The mini filter was the best sounding to me. The others don't give me a similar sound to the actual sound from the oberheim.

3ptguitarist wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:58 am
The mini filter was the best sounding to me. The others don't give me a similar sound to the actual sound from the oberheim.
Diva is fairly complex in its modular architecture. In this tutorial we show you how to get the most out of this gorgeous-sounding synth.
https://www.attackmagazine.com/techniqu ... envelopes/

Diva Uhbie
From rough to smooth, the last filter option is Uhbie, modelled after the exquisite 2-pole state variable Oberheim SEM filter. The SEM filter circuit is unique in that it can morph from low-pass to sweepable band-reject (notch) and lastly high-pass. Uhbie has also added a switch to change the band reject to band-pass. This filter is sweet and airy, great for musical sounds like keys, pads, and softer bass sounds.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

...any colour blinds here ?

:clown:

Demo for a new (experimental) patch which uses the harmonic/additive oscillator introduced in Pigments 3.
https://youtu.be/euRvia0LN2A

amazing sounds there

You haven't go the envelopes the same and you should have used a different filter in Pigments.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:42 am

Good comparison. :tu:

Diva sounds the fattest (perhaps that's the reference preset here for recreation?). Massive X and Pigments were about the same in the low end, and while both sounded great, Pigments sounds surprisingly good for this type of sound. Massive X seems to have less resonance compared to others and still doesn't have that fatness - I wonder it is something to do with the recreation of the patch?
The Asimov filter won't go very far in terms of resonance.

There's a state variable filter, which should mimic the Oberheim filter better (think it's loosely modelled on the SEM filter). Also, if you want to replicate that sloppy "envelope lags behind" sound, you can use the voice randomization (VR) modulator on the attack stage, or anything else, of the filter envelope.

Biome_Digital wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:03 am

You haven't go the envelopes the same and you should have used a different filter in Pigments.
My recommendation would be: Uhbie filter in Diva, SEM filter in Pigments, SVF filter in Massive X. ;)

Return to “Instruments”