Favorite granular effect?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
10996 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Wed May 12, 2021 12:06 pm

I more or less use Ribs, but I’m curious to hear what your favorite granular effect is. I’m not talking about something like Padshop Pro, I’m talking about something that you apply to live audio.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KVRAF
3075 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Wed May 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Crusher-x is amazing, it’s an effect and instrument. It’s very very deep.
Give it a demo.

KVRAF
1892 posts since 16 May, 2004 from Soviet Union

Post Wed May 12, 2021 1:46 pm

Crusher-X undoubtedly.

KVRist
425 posts since 30 Oct, 2003 from Pacific NW, USA

Post Wed May 12, 2021 7:42 pm

I've been very pleased with Output's Portal. Before that I was using Reaktor's modular environment. But something about Portal's workflow and sound just seem to check all the right boxes. Every session that I'm working on has multiple instances. I have to maintain some amount of discipline because it's so fun to get into "loop mode" and play around for hours. That is a sign of a good plugin in my opinion.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

10996 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Wed May 12, 2021 8:09 pm

morphex wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:42 pm
I've been very pleased with Output's Portal. Before that I was using Reaktor's modular environment. But something about Portal's workflow and sound just seem to check all the right boxes. Every session that I'm working on has multiple instances. I have to maintain some amount of discipline because it's so fun to get into "loop mode" and play around for hours. That is a sign of a good plugin in my opinion.
Is there a demo of Portal? I can't for the life of me find it. I thought if I installed their installation utility I'd get an option of installing demos, but I can't find it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KVRian
1380 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Wed May 12, 2021 9:42 pm

Dust or crusher-X

addled muppet weed
79342 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu May 13, 2021 4:03 am

c_voltage wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:46 pm
Crusher-X undoubtedly.
yup, more than the king of granular, it's a god!

Suspended
2638 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Post Thu May 13, 2021 4:39 am

+1 for Portal.
I lost my heart in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

KVRAF
4933 posts since 27 Jul, 2001 from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Post Thu May 13, 2021 4:57 am

IIRC Portal got a 10/10 rating in Computer Music magazine.
It's in my buy list.
What has been the lowest sale price up to now?

KVRAF
1803 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Thu May 13, 2021 5:14 am

it is what you want, but it seems, that Crusher-X, is of course king of granular. yes i have it..
i don't have Portal.

but Crusher-X, expensive, yes, but worth it!

don't have Dust also. but if i have to choose: Silo, o no; Dust..

i don't have all granulars! but still nice ones.. although Silo is Marmite, and Dust or Portal, i can't compare, have more potential, i still like the results i get with Silo, that i now mainly use, slicing samples from own recordings, to sampler, and Silo as effect..
great textures. when you dial in, all, yourself. that's how i learn a new plugin...

new kid in town; only M4L, says also standalone (does not state if MAX is necessary);

https://www.audiobulb.com/GRAINSCAPE.htm

ow this is another granular thread, there are 3 now.... this is for Effects.

beside Delta-V Audio Spacecraft (great!) and Crusher-X no granular FX, beside Voltage Modular/Softube Modular, and i think i forget some effects... o yes, byome/triad, MGranularMB, i have..

MGranularMB, don't underestimate it's possibilities. but you have to like Melda, like Marmite..

and Silo, for me, is tasty. Unfiltered Audio Silo..
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

KVRAF
3843 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Thu May 13, 2021 7:16 am

u-he Uhbik-G for quick&dirty
+1 for Melda MGranularMB
PA sucks

KVRAF
1892 posts since 16 May, 2004 from Soviet Union

Post Thu May 13, 2021 9:54 am

WasteLand wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:14 am
Delta-V Audio Spacecraft (great!)
Hm did not see it, need will check.

KVRAF
3737 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Thu May 13, 2021 10:10 am

zerocrossing wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:09 pm
morphex wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:42 pm
Is there a demo of Portal? I can't for the life of me find it. I thought if I installed their installation utility I'd get an option of installing demos, but I can't find it.
There is no demo, but they have a 14-day return policy and it works. It is available for $96 right now (35% off), so a good time to try it. Be sure to buy it directly from Output so that there is no problem with refunds in case you don't like it. Also please not that they don't allow license transfers - I begged with them literally twice in last two months, but they simply don't listen. So, get the refund in time if you don't like it. That said, Portal is a great plugin.

Output is not well known when it comes to supporting their plugins much after the release and don't even care to fix bugs - not that there are many/show stoppers, but it's always nice to see some small enhancements and bug-fix updates.
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Thu May 13, 2021 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRAF
3737 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Thu May 13, 2021 10:30 am

Kalamata Kid wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:57 am
IIRC Portal got a 10/10 rating in Computer Music magazine.
It's in my buy list.
What has been the lowest sale price up to now?
Portal is at its best price right now, $96, until one more week. Remember that license transfers are not possible, so buying it during the sale is little less risky. Of course, you can get a refund within two weeks if you don't like, but for this to work, you need to buy directly from Output.

If you are sure you want it, you can sign up on Time+Space and use your loyalty points to bring it further lower than $96.

KVRist
133 posts since 7 Nov, 2002

Post Thu May 13, 2021 10:58 am

Just going to mention SaltyGrain because it's been around for 10 years or so (around 20 if you count its freeware predecessor). No fancy grain window, but here's the obligatory Richard Devine preset showcase extravaganza: https://youtu.be/MsSr3vNKOb8

Return to “Effects”