Stutter Edit 2 vs Glitch2, Effectrix - (is Shaperbox just way better) ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought Output Movement !
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

This one is new to the party: https://2bplayed.com/2b-shaped
Looks like a cheap copy of Shaperbox, but has delay and reverb. I have no time for demoing, has anyone tried it?

andi75 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:07 pm This one is new to the party: https://2bplayed.com/2b-shaped
Looks like a cheap copy of Shaperbox, but has delay and reverb. I have no time for demoing, has anyone tried it?
Anybody knows how are 2B plugins in general? At 40% off the whole shaper alternative is priced at around 25 euros and it has reverb shaper as well...

- Mario

If you were to only pick one for experimental creative inspiration, which one would you pick?

Have Effectrix, Stutter Edit 1, and Shaper Box. I use Shaper Bos a lot, Effectrix sometimes, and Stutter Edit 1 not at all (not sure if I'd use the newer version--someday maybe I'll get it).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Stutter edit 2 is amazing. It's the top of the heap for me now. I have Mrhythmizer, Mrhythmizer MB, IM I Wish, Glitch (I actually bought a license before V1 went free), Glitch 2, effectrix, looperator, turnado, SE 1, SE 2, the finger, artillery 2, Big Seq 2, and probably more that my brain is blanking out on. The one thing that SE 2 is slightly weak with is granular fx. It can do them but it's not easy or pretty (technically most of what it does could be called "granular processing" but I mean standard time stretch and pitch shift stuff).
Depending on how you prefer to interface with your software (midi triggered, host automation etc) then some of these can be cooler than others. I find that I use SE 2, Artillery, and Glitch 2 the most and often times in conjunction with one another. Having a gesture in SE, an effect in Artillery, and then a full sequence in glitch all triggered by one key can get real crazy real fast. Sometimes though when I wanna get weird and get my random on I'll use turnado in Bitwig with stuff modulating all 8 knobs and the dictator as well and then I'll send that on to something more controlled like looperator so all my bits of crazy can rhythmically repeat a bar at a time.

By the time I got around to trying shaperbox I already had so much else that covers the same ground and then it also is more CPU hungry than it seems like it should be. So I gave it a pass. It does sound pretty good especially when you are at very low pitches. But not so good that I needed another whole box of stuff that I could already do.

If you are cool with using midi to trigger your fx I would grab SE 2 on sale and then get Artillery next time sugarbytes does a sale. Those two make a great pair. And you can do damn near any bagger effect you can imagine with the two of them combined.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:09 am By the time I got around to trying shaperbox I already had so much else that covers the same ground and then it also is more CPU hungry than it seems like it should be.
Didn't notice with the other shapers, only TimeShaper struck me as hungry. But they vastly reduced its CPU usage at some point, so it's fine now.

Sugarbytes Turnado is the go to glitcher for me. Hands on control of all 8 effects is awesome, plus the Dictator control can do amazing things quite easily.

I thought Looperator and Effectrix were very similar, and Stutter Edit 2 just didn't fit my work flow.

Don't forget Glitch 1, that's free and is very usable. So I'm sure Glitch2 would be great.

All great tools, and they all do similar things, but to me they are all very different.
Try them all if you can,
Dirk

e@rs wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:35 am
Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:09 am By the time I got around to trying shaperbox I already had so much else that covers the same ground and then it also is more CPU hungry than it seems like it should be.
Didn't notice with the other shapers, only TimeShaper struck me as hungry. But they vastly reduced its CPU usage at some point, so it's fine now.
If I didn't have so many other thingies that cover the same ground then I would have given it more of a serious go.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Effects”