The KVR Developer Challenge 2021 Downloads & Voting Now Live

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The KVR Developer Challenge 2021, the eighth free-for-all audio plug-in / audio application / soundware design event, is now live!

The announcement: kvraudio.com/blog/the-kvr-developer-challenge-2021-is-now-live-51321

Find out how to enter and donate at kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2021

:hyper: :party: :phones:

Wooooohoooooooo

I'm absolutely looking forward to this. One question though: isn't the period between the opening and the deadline a bit short? It seems audio development takes some time, why not announce KVR DC 6 months prior to the deadline or so?

Most devs have something hanging around the office that can be fined tuned for the challenge..

Since beta testing/collecting feedback is not allowed: Is it ok to share the idea in a forum in advance to get recommendations/advice?
[If not here, can I do it in another forum?] PS: I would attend in order to have a "motivating" deadline, winning is optional :D

Does anyone know the prize money amount for previous years? I'm entering either way, but I might put in some extra effort if I know the stakes are higher than the current $0 in the fund..

Also can one developer enter more than one software product?

Alright I put in $10.. who's next?

Excellent stuff - and I look forward to seeing all the great efforts and voting in July :)

It must be difficult to think of some new(ish) plugin design as there is such a variety of excellent software instruments and effects (free and very low price) out there now in 2021.

But if anyone was able / willing to make a free software sequencer with excellent micro-tuning abilities (similar maybe to the sequencer found in the commercial hardware synth Korg Minilogue XD etc), then that would be awesome.

Or some cool free music graphic-visuals software would also be amazing (at least for me!).

Anyway, good luck developers! :thumbsup:

dark water wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:49 pm ...Or some cool free music graphic-visuals software would also be amazing (at least for me!).
Yes, i've wondered about that. Already ten years ago there was these "visualisations" in several audio players that pulsated to the rythm of the music.
It seems they never developed this any further. With more and more powerful computers it's a shame there isn't super-ultra visualisations developed and it should be in good demand from youtubers, i think.

Saffran wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 pm
dark water wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:49 pm ...Or some cool free music graphic-visuals software would also be amazing (at least for me!).
Yes, i've wondered about that. Already ten years ago there was these "visualisations" in several audio players that pulsated to the rythm of the music.
It seems they never developed this any further. With more and more powerful computers it's a shame there isn't super-ultra visualisations developed and it should be in good demand from youtubers, i think.
The good 'ol days of Winamp and its pkugins 😌

I have something exciting and all vector on its way.

Is anyone working on something cross-platform?
I'd love a piano-roll style MIDI-sequencer, that does just that and nothing else, and will run on Linux. I hate the trend for all-in-one do everything DAWs, that are a pig to make do what I want to do, and in the way I want to do it.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:36 pm Is anyone working on something cross-platform?
I'd love a piano-roll style MIDI-sequencer, that does just that and nothing else, and will run on Linux. I hate the trend for all-in-one do everything DAWs, that are a pig to make do what I want to do, and in the way I want to do it.

Helio Workstation?

Thanks. I'd not come across that one. I'll give it a try.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Don't, folderol! (jeffg here from LinuxMusicians)

I installed the Helio deb on my "Debian Testing" system. The program comes with a built-in Fender Rhodes sounding electric piano VST so you can play a midi file right out of the box. So I loaded a midi file and clicked on Play. It played fine... except that it immediately gobbled up 98% of my CPU cycles. I clicked the Stop button... And it kept on playing. I waited, and then clicked on the Stop button again. It kept playing. I clicked on the pause button. It kept playing. I tried to close the window by clicking on the upper right corner. It kept playing. I tried to ALT - F4 it. It kept playing. I CTRL-C'ed it. It kept playing. Finally I had to get to a console and manually kill the process, before it released my CPU from its pitbull-like jaws. Thankfully that worked so I didn't have to resort to the next step, which probably would have involved an exorcism.

I don't know what the Helio linux version is doing, but whatever that is, it shouldn't be doing it.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”